“A great budget option”

Orient Prince Hotel
Ranked #83 of 142 Hotels in Amman
“A great budget option”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is in a great location, with a view of the roman amphitheatre right across the road, and an easy quick walk to the heart of the downtown area with it's lively atmosphere. The room was fine: spacious with good natural light, a comfy bed, reliable hot water and a good, filling breakfast included in the price - which was within our backpacker budget. Just bring ear plugs as it is on the main road. We stayed 2 nights, left our luggage for a 5 day trip and returned for a 2 further nights to the same room to find the bathroom repainted and flower tubs outside the room. A nice touch! The staff were professional, helpful and warm.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geefatima

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Indonesian first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We booked a night at the Orient Prince because it's cheap and had pretty good reviews on Trip Advisor, and we were just looking for somewhere inexpensive to rest between two days of site-seeing. We expected that it wouldn't be great obviously, for 22 JOD / night, but we had no idea what we were in for. I don't know how this hotel has good reviews. The men at the front desk were friendly, but we should have known to look for another place when we were told at check in that we needed to pay before we saw the room. Between the four of us we reserved two rooms, and we were so creeped out we considered all sharing one room so we wouldn't be so scared! The rooms truly look like something out of a horror movie. Everything was so filthy that I didn't even want to lay down to sleep. The stains on the carpet left me using my imagination as to what could've taken place in that room to make it look like that. There was a random pair of old, dirty sandals in my room and an old baby crib in my friends' room. There was a slit in the wall to the outside so it was as loud as sleeping with the windows wide open, since the city is right downtown. I was thankful to have had my own blanket with me so I didn't have to use those provided. Spend the extra money and book a nice room when you come to Amman.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CSquig

Travellers are raving about these Amman hotels

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We arrived late at night in downtown Amman with reservations at the Orient Prince Hotel. The front desk was friendly and helpful. They offered to hold our luggage for free when we were traveling the next day. However, due to the area, we did not feel comfortable leaving our stuff at the location. He then took us to our rooms. Our room was on the 4th floor. It looked like a room out of a horror movie. There was a baby crib with our bedding in it next to the bed. The bathroom had mold all over the walls. There was no shower curtain and no hot water. The room had a strong musty smell and had stains all over the carpet. When our friends entered their room they found 2 shoe's on the floor. They asked the receptionist showing them the space if someone was staying there already and he said it's normal. When leaving, we asked for the copies of our passports back and it took 5 minutes of debate to get them returned. We did not feel safe or comfortable in this hotel. It is definitely a budget hotel but for $44 us dollars, it is way overpriced...... I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I have no idea how this hotel got the high reviews on trip advisor. The consistency in trip advisor reviews of this place made me lose some trust in this website. My wife and I love living a frugal lifestyle. We like eating in "hole in the wall" restaurants and staying in budget hotels. However, this was the worst hotel we have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jonathan E
Bern, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

i stayed 3 nights in the hotel and then came back for 1 more night after a few days in march 2014. 9rient prince has hostel standard, is pretty clean but cause age shows at each corner its hard to oversee old stains (carpet!) and actually feel clean. tell if anything has to be fixed (door lock, shower, bedsheets) they do it. staff is friendly eventhough english and travellers knowledge are limited. breakfast is supposed to be ready at 8 am or 8.30am (depends who answers your question), i waited twice till 8.45 am. the location is fantastic just opposite the roman theater.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had a lovely stay at the Prince Orient Hotel. We knew what to expect for the price and have to say we were satisfied. The room was old but clean and comfortable. Breakfast was included as well: local style, filling and delicious. The staff was very kind and helpful. The location is great! The area is very nice to walk around. We only wish the shower would have gotten hotter. I would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica W
Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

We also spent our first two nights in Amman at the Orient Prince and agree that it is a very good choice for those looking for a budget hotel. We were given a fourth floor room with small balcony overlooking Hashemi St. with the roman theatre and plaza beyond. Great for my partner who smokes but this street is the main thoroughfare into / out of the Downtown area, and therefore got extremely busy even into the early hours (may have been made worse by festival of Eid during our visit ). You will also soon learn that Jordanian drivers love to sound their car horn. Therefore take that into consideration if sleep is an issue, it wasn't for us merely a part of the Amman experience.
The room was adequate considering the price we paid, albeit decorated in a strange dark green colour scheme. The en-suite toilet shower room was adequate and we didn't have any issues with the cleanliness of the room. Breakfast was very informal and consisted of finding the basic dining area on the second floor and waiting for or going in search of someone to serve you. It consisted of the usual fare pitta bread, boiled egg, cheese but was one of few hotels on this trip that served some salad, humus & goats cheese.
If you are hiring a car there is the added advantage of a couple of off road parking spaces immediately outside reception however there was usually a space or two on Hashemi St. in the vicinity of hotel. On the subject of driving you will need nerves of steel to drive in Amman as Jordanians have no lane discipline whatsoever, you will find them swerve in front of you from all sides. Getting out of Amman is also a trial with all but a few road signs in Arabic making it very difficult to navigate especially whilst avoiding surrounding traffic.
On checking out I left my MP3 player in the room but on my return to Amman at end of holiday I popped in to enquire at reception and was delighted to find they had it locked away in a security box. Thanks very much OP

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank malcolm s
Luang Prabang, Laos
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

This is a great hotel for a budget traveller looking to stay one or 2 nights in Amman who wants easy access to the tourist sites.

Front desk speaks English and knows how to get to all the important places in town, very helpful with all my questions. They also upgraded my room to a larger balcony room overlooking the roman theatre as well as allowed me a late check out since my flight was not till the evening.

They also arranged for a car service to take me to the airport for a good price compared the the normal airport rate.

Some other PROS:

Fast internt in common areas

TV with English channels is nice when u are far from home

Mattresses was quite comfy and seemed newer (FOAM)

Location overlooking biggest tourist site in entire city Roman Theatre and if you are in good shape you can even walk up the hill to the citadel and avoid paying a taxi to get you there.

Price very affordable

Restaurant in the hotel had meals that inexpensive and quite good for the price

Free breakfast with all the standard fare (pita, cheese, meat, egg, vegetable)

But keep in mind it's a 1 star hotel. Look at the reviewer photos and accept that's what it looks like. The rooms are unrenovated but if you can look past the cosmetics this hotel will suit you due to its location to the major sites.

Also due to its location in a main area there is some street noise so light sleepers beware.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo