“Good business hotel”

Ranked #12 of 142 Hotels in Amman
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good business hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2009

Large hotel in the business district of Amman. Rooms decent size and comfortably furnished without being spectacular, bathrooms clean and well equipped – basically what you’d expect from a quality business hotel. There are 3 restaurants, we sampled the Italian – food good but felt very formal and was very expensive – and the Kempi which is ‘international buffet’ and disappointing. We ate out one night and would definitely recommend that for both price and authenticity. ‘Spa’ is a small steam room, sauna and Jacuzzi. There is also a well equipped gym. Pool looked nice though closed for a refurb when we were there in late March. Reception very helpful in organising taxis and so on.

Plus points
- Breakfast buffet was excellent – good choice and quality, friendly and attentive staff
- Free internet access via the TV
- Bottled water provided free each day

Negatives
- Not in a great area if you’re a tourist. You need to get a taxi to downtown.
- Air conditioning not great – ours seemed to keep pumping out warm air even after a maintenance mad came for a look
- Kempi restaurant – buffet – don’t leave it too late as they don’t seem to replenish the food.

• Stayed March 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
zurich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2009

We stayed 2 weeks in Jordan and 3 nights at Kempinski - Amman. The hotel is overall very good, comfortable, well furnished and a good buffet. If I have one negative comment it is the service in the breakfast and dinner room. It’s really bad! They are willing to do it good but the personal has got no training and the have no qualified supervisor. It ends up the table are not cleaned up, the personal is running over the place 10 time more than need and you have to ask 10 time for a napkin!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2009

Amman was a difficult spot to find a decently priced hotel without giving up hotel comforts. We found the hotels in Amman to be quite pricey. We did find a good price through a hotel discount search engine for the Kempinski, and we were pleased with the price we paid.

The hotel is centrally located, secure and is only a few years old. When checking in we were placed on the 8th floor, 'the Executive Floor'. A little misleading because our room was very small. However, the room was nicely appointed and clean and given how small it was, actually well laid out for placement of suitcases, desk, TV, etc. Other than it being small, I cannot complain about the room. It was a quiet hotel.

We never ate any dinners at the hotel as there are too many choices in Amman. Breakfast is just o.k. and this mediocore comment may be in part to the poor service in the restaurant. In fact the first morning we walked in to have breakfast and went to sit down at a pleasant, 'clean' table for 2 against the windows and the waiter told us we could not sit there?? We were escorted to dirty tables that took up half the restaurant. It was apparent that a large group had herded through the restaurant leaving a wake of uncleanly destruction. The waiter didn't even bother to actually seat us, so we walked up to the table looked at each other and said forget it and walked out. The 2nd morning we were at least seated at a clean table in a clean area but the staff in the restaurant are not trained. There are plenty of managers standing at the entrance in suits looking around being important but the actual staff is minimal and really don't seem to want to be there or serve.

Another tip, don't use the hotel taxi as they charge significantly more than if you walk out into the street and hail your own cab.

If I could find a good price at another hotel, I would probably consider a change. However that does not mean that I wouldn't stay at the Kempinski again if I needed a room and wasn't looking for much more. Would I recommend this hotel, yes, but just know that the restaurant isn't the best and you may have a small room.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2009

I stayed here one night for business. The entrance is confusing to find, and the front door is confusing also, with security and bizarre sliding glass doors. Inside the young man at the reception was very friendly and helpful. We were served a greeting coffee as is the Arab hospitality tradition. The glass elevators were nice, but noisy, as my room was right by the elevators. Room was clean, and comfortable, but really nothing special. Big surcharge for internet usage. Found a piece of stone in my omelette at breakfast the next morning - nearly broke a tooth. Guys who delivered bags to and from rooms were really aggressive - have a tip ready! I may or may not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Casselman, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2008

Stayed in Kempinski while in Amman. Hotel was very safe, very good quality and would stay there again.

Lobby is small, but room are very modern, free internet access, and met my expectation for the price I paid.

ATM machines as well as a few fast-food places (KFC and Burger King) near hotel.

Service at the bar is a bit slow and lack choices, but minor detail. Ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast and dinner and even if I'm a fussy North American, I was pleased. Above average for both Jordan and Israel.

Hotel arranged for taxi to drive us to Petra - his name Arafat. Very reliable. He dropped us in Petra and came back to pick us up and bring us back to Kempinski.

All in all. This is a very good hotel for both business and tourism.

• Liked — Quality of Hotel
  • Disliked — A bit expensive
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Jordan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2008

Well i guess i have something in common in regards to the 2 articles about the "rude GM" at Kempinski Shemeisani Amman. I have just been transferred to Amman and replacing my predessor who always spoke about this hotel and teh staffs. Well i am staying in the hotel for 3 weeks now waiting for my house to be ready. Apparently things were quite good in the beginning but later on i either kept seeing new faces or "no staffs" at all. I guess people are horrified to work with this Mr Peter Nast.
On one occasion i was sitting by the pool terrace with my legs stretched on the low wooden tables but he came to me and told me to remove my leg! Well i am the CEO of a huge company here and staying in the hotel for 3 weeks and i get treated like this??
Without any hesitation i removed my legs as he gave me a funny look and then i proceeded to my room. The sad part is i am a German and this kind of behaviour is not in my nature.

Kempinski is a German company and they have several good hotels but this is not a Kempinski at all! When i came here in June for a meeting with my predessesor i also stayed here but it was different. There was a good GM at that time, I can't remember his name but i think he is German. Also where is Mr Abdul? Where is all the good people?

• Liked — The access to the club floor
  • Disliked — the air cond
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2008

I would like to say that i have similar experience with Egypt Ferrari about the General Manager but only in a different scenario.

About 2 weeks ago i walked into the Executive Office to see the GM on a couple of issues. When i arrived at the glass door at -2 level i was greeted by a very young lady who told me to wait while she checked.

All of a sudden a German gentleman by the name of Peter Nast entered the office and walked in straight. This young lady followed him to check and apprently he said that he was not free to see anyone. What troubled me was the fact that he walked passed me without saying a word and he knew that i was waiting to see him and yet declined. He is certainly rude and things highly of himself.

I cannot imagine staying at this hotel again!

• Liked — It was spacious
  • Disliked — felt like there was someone else in the room.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business