“Not a great location but huge comfortable rooms”

Al-Fanar Palace Hotel
Ranked #54 of 143 Hotels in Amman
London, UK
“Not a great location but huge comfortable rooms”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was on a tour and paid the single supplement of only £45 for the week and got huge rooms for two nights at this hotel. Bit rough and ready but comfortable enough. I made the mistake of thinking I would use the hotel pool - I could have done but I would have been the only woman down there and it felt very uncomfortable as the all male gym looked out over the pool. I couldn't even see any female changing room. I beat a hasty retreat to my room to avoid the stares. Dodgy wifi but at least there was some. Uninspiring breakfast. Staff very friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 28 April 2014

During my visit of Amman, Jordan, I stayed at Al-Fanar hotel for four nights. This is a reasonable place to stay in Amman. Rooms were nice and clean. The most positive thing in this hotel was its desk Manager Mr. Mehr. Mr. Mehr can not only speak very good english, he is also very kind and helpful. Just tell him what you want and Mr. Mehr will arrange it for you.
The only negative thing about this hotel was its breakfast. This hotel provides breakfast only for people from middle east/Arab. If you are not an Arab then you will not have good choice to eat at breakfast. I suggest to the hotel management that it must improve its breakfast choices to attract more customers.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Bulacan
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel wreaks of oldness. The rooms have a musty smell. The walls and the furnitures are either stained or damaged. The bathroom is not an exception. The toilet seat is full of yellow stains and there was still a few dump left in the toilet. I can't believe our travel agent chose a hotel like this. It is definitely in need of an upgrade! The only thing it has going for it is the size of the room are huge.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Wasabi416

Travellers are raving about these Amman hotels

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Spacious rooms, correct reception desk. Variety of food slightly below expectations. Nice seating outside the building, where it is possible to order a high-tech prepared water pipe. Great enjoyment together with a cup of coffee with cardamom added, of course. I missed some soul. To technical. But anyhow. A good choice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Al Fanar is a huge hotel, ten minutes driving from the center of Amman. Don`t walk there since it is too far and walking in Amman is not always very safe (often no sidewalks). The room we got was comfortable and big, although a little old-fashioned. No wireless in the room, but it worked near the reception. Charging a telephone or camera proved difficult, since most powerplugs in the room were messed up. There is a heated pool and a hot tub. I visited it with my girlfriend. There is a place for men to change clothes, but not for women (??). Sadly no fresh coffee at breakfast, only powder coffee. When you take a taxi to the center, never pay more than 4 or 5 dinar. Ask the driver to switch on the meter - if he does not have one, take another taxi!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 12 January 2014

On my recent trip to Amman, Jordan I stayed at the Al Fanar three times. The first time I had booked through my travel agent as I wanted to stay where my Exodus Trip was leaving from three days later. I was heading to Jerusalem for a couple of days and this allowed me to leave my luggage at the hotel and only take a day pack into Israel. (This all worked well and they provided free storage for my bag)

My first room was great, nice and clean, decent size and the bathroom was clean (although water pressure was poor).

My second room before my trip with Exodus was substantially worse, it wasn't as clean, it was smaller and the hot water didn't work (they came up and fixed it). In addition my key didn't work and I had to make three trips down to the reception area before it got fixed, the first time they told me I must be using it wrong but put it into the machine to try and fix it. The second time they did this again and the third time they finally came up and fixed the door and reprogrammed the key to match. This meant that at 2am when my room mate arrived (on a late flight) that her key didn't work and they did the same thing again for her. So the next morning my key no longer worked.

The third room on returning from the trip was terrible. The shower was a small square shower base with a filthy curtain around it, that blew into you as you were taking a shower, it was gross! In addition it didn't look like the bathroom had been given a proper clean for sometime. The door of the room didn't shut properly and I had to slam the door a number of time to get the lock to catch (not really nice at 2am in the morning). The key for the room also had to be inserted a number of times before it would open, sometimes it seemed it wasn't going to work and then on the 10th or so time the light finally turned green. In addition to this, returning at 2am in the morning to find that there was a plastic sheet on my bed that rattled (with a crunching plastic sound) every time I moved - so I ended up having to remove it (unfortunately waking my room mate while I doing this). (Not only uncomfortable but also noisy)

To catch a taxi downtown cost (using a meter taxi) 2.5 Dinar and the Rainbow Street 3 Dinar.

So I guess you could end up lucky and be in an okay room, or you could end up in the terrible room I had on my last night of my stay. Not sure it's worth the risk if there are other options.

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the higher floors are nicer but not too sure.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Beckstar8
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

The Al-Fanar is used by many medium priced UK and European tour groups and it fulfills the basic mission of clean and safe accommodations, a decent breakfast, good wifi service and ok location. It is not expensive and is probably of decent value.

My only irritation was in leaving the hotel at 4:15 am for a 6:30 am flight. I had been asked to pay the night before which I did. However, the front desk clerk manager would not accept my word that I did not take anything from the mini bar and wanted to delay my trip while an inspection occurred. I left anyways not wish to wait ten minutes for someone to check to see if I took a can of soda this early in the morning.

I would score it at 3.5