“Good Hotel for a Short Stay - Met my expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Rumman Hotel

and 1 more site!
Rumman Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Madaba
San Francisco
“Good Hotel for a Short Stay - Met my expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

We purposely made Madaba our base since Amman hotels were far too expensive and Madaba was only a short drive to Amman. When we arrived from London, it was 2:30 AM. After clearing immigration and getting our luggage, it would have been close to 4:00 AM by the time that we arrived in the hotel. I e-mailed the hotel to make arrangements for airport transfer and to let them know that we will be arriving at a very early hour. We wanted to make sure that the rooms are ready so we opted to pay for the night before.

The room was very basic, which is what I had expected from reading reviews so this was not a big surprise. I had booked a single room, but I was given a room with a double sized bed adequate enough for two. The room was average size and sparsley furnished aside from one night table and a dresser. Overall the it was clean as well as the bathroom. The bed was firm and really comfortable, but the sheets were thin and old but it did not really bother me. My companions had a double room and the bathroom in that room was not as nice as mine. It was older as evidenced from the fixtures. The paint at the top of the walls were starting to peel and there were some black spots at places. Both our bathrooms are interior bathrooms which means no windows, but there is an exhaust fan that works well. At least in my bathroom, it worked well and maybe that is why there is mold in the other bathroom.

Breakfast was included in the rate which consisted of pita or sliced white bread, jam or honey, humus, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, processed cheese as well as local cheese, scrambled and hard boiled egg, and fried chick pea balls. Coffee was instant and there was tea as well. The orange juice was powdered and the mango juice was canned. I have no complaints from breakfast as it is what I had expected.

Wireless internet was also included in the rate, but my room had bad connection specially if there are others accessing the internet. I believe that the location of my room had something to do with it, plus the hotel had concrete walls. Internet in the room of my companions were fine. Maybe they were closer to the modem.

Try and avoid the second floor. There is an area in the second floor where there is a lounge area and if this gets heavily used, the noise will be bothersome.

The location of the hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the center of Madaba and about 15 minute walk to the Church of the map. There is a convenience store across the street to buy water and some snacks.

One thing that I really must applaud is the friendliness of the staff. Everyone was helpful including the front desk staff who will help you plan your day trips. The prices for car and driver to various places are posted in the front desk and they can help you either cater a trip to your needs or arrange car and driver. We had arrange for a car and driver to take us to Petra via the King's highway, but we also wanted to stop at Amman beach at the Dead Sea and to Al Karak. The price was very reasonable.

Stay here if you are planning for a short stay, but also check the prices of other hotels. I found out that the difference between the Rumman and the Mosaic City Hotel was only 5 JOD. Mosaic City is in the center of town and closer to the sights. I'm still glad that I stayed two nights at this hotel though.

Room Tip: Stay at a room in the 3rd floor. The second floor has a common area where other guests congregate a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

My wife and I didn't know what to expect after we left Petra (which was breathtaking) and were driving to Madaba however after we arrived and walked into the Rumman Hotel we were extremely happy. The hotel is very very clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful - Maysa helped us with all of our questions - she's always smiling and gave us great recommendations. The hotel is 10 minutes from Mt. Nebo and 40 minutes to the Baptism Site. It is also located 5-10 minutes from St. George's church and shopping. Perfectly located!!

Oh - free WiFi too!!

2 Thank mikeycee0630
Bergisch Gladbach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

The Rumman Hotel is located about 10 minutes walk to the main churches of the town. The room was spacious and well equipped and the bed and pillows were very comfortable (which is pretty rare in Jordan!)
Breakfast was fine.
Madaba is a great location not just for the mosaics of the churches, but also only about an hours drive from the Dead Sea, Mount Nebo, Wadi Mujib and the Hot Springs in Ma'in. We stayed here for 4 days and drove to the attractions from here. The town itself is lovely - not as hectic and chaotic as in Amman - the airport is so near to Madaba, I would recommend anyone flying to Jordan to come straight to Madaba and not Amman! It's far easier to reach and offers so many interesting sights. Amman is just murder to drive through without getting lost!!!!!
The best thing about the hotel was, however, the lovely staff consisting of Maysa (she's just adorable), Ali and of course Yanal the Manager (I do apologise if I forgot anyone), who all were all so unbelievably helpful and friendly and contributed to making us feel so welcome and at home.
If we come back to Jordan, we'll certainly stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robbann
Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Already before arrival we had a good feeling. Maysa who is in charge of the hotel's guest well being replied to my emails faster than I had ever experienced (..and I travel quite a lot ...). For instance she arranged transportation (2am) from the airport to Madaba at a very fair price (Thank you again Maysa :-)).
The Hotel is clean, rooms vast, beds confortable (matrasses personnally chosen by the manager who also is a very nice person), bathroom with hot water and a good breakfast. In summary and considering the price paid very good value.
PS : I understand Maysa and her team may organize tours / transportation for individual / small groups of travellers. Although we did not test the service (we had already booked a much more expensive option) I would fully trust Maysa and her team.

3 Thank Michael765
Brussels
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Went there on a trip with family on the way back from Aqaba to Amman, to visit mt Nebo and around the dead sea. The place is located in a nice quiet neighborhood, the staff is friendly, the rooms are simple but have all what is needed, they are clean, and for Jordan, they seem well done (nothing is hanging, no holes everywhere, wires etc).
A place to recommend if you don't wanna spend a lot on housing, but still wanna sleep in clean sheets.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Madaba is really confusing with all of its one way streets. So, we were always lost coming home to Rumman Hotel. However, we always looked forward to getting back here after driving to distant sites and touring. Its nice to come back to our comfortable bed, strong WIFI connection in the room and shower with hot water. The lady at the front desk was also super helpful with recommendations. The best thing about this hotel is the breakfast buffet. I can't recall a place I've been at with real scrambled eggs, yummy sausages and other good stuff like hummus, hard boiled eggs and orange juice. Our room didn't have a TV but, who needs it when you have WIFI? The only thing that one needs to adjust to is that there are no restaurants near the area. It seems to be a residential neighborhood so one needs to get to the center of Madaba.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank mariessima
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We enjoyed our stay here, it is a great place for a first night in Jordan, not too far to drive from the airport (if only there were better signs for Madaba, but the highway in that direction is under construction now).

The hotel seems fairly new, the room was comfortable and clean, and the service was great. The breakfast is nothing to really write home about, but overall very nice. In terms of location, yes, there are hotels that are more central, but walking distance to the center is really just 10 minutes and lots of shops to see along the way. The more interesting / touristy shops are on the other side of the center though.

What irked me a bit was the inclusion of an atrium in the hotel design, in which the sound travels easily, so when a group is leaving in the early morning, the whole hotel can hear it. Internet was ok, it phased in and out from time to time and speed was somewhere at 225kbps.

I would surely return. Very helpful and nice staff.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, if you have problems with stairs, ask for a room on the first floor.
1 Thank caipirina