“Returning guest: please improve your communication skills breakfast buffet!!!”
Review of Hotel Al Shohada

Hotel Al Shohada
Ranked #25 of 357 Hotels in Mecca
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Returning guest: please improve your communication skills breakfast buffet!!!”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I come to Manish often and like this hotel due to its value for money and the staff, butler's and cleaners who will bend over backwards to help you. I've stayed here several times in the past but this time, 3things really bothered me. First, the breakfast buffet was AWFUL, please Shohada, improve this or you will lose loyal customers. Second, I always send an email directly to the hotel to book, this time I got no response despite several emails and then had to call several times to reserve. I was then called up the day we were due to check in and asked silly questions that could have been answered if my email had been read. Finally, I had just one simple but crucial request that my room have a double bed for health reasons and not two beds pushed together but that's exactly what I got an it annoyed me no end. If customers are prepared to book the same hotel several times a year, surely hotels should recognise repeaters and accommodate simple requests??? We don't use credit cards and pay the full amount up in arrival and then to be told we can't book a car for pick up from Jeddah or not to even be acknowledged as returning guests isn't very nice. Other than that the location is great, room was adequate despite the bed issue an the butler more than made up for the incompetence of reception staff. Breakfast was AWFUL and needs a lot of improvement but if Shohada could fix this and their lack of people skills, they would again raise in my esteem.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nasiya T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Islamabad, Pakistan
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel is walking distance and the hotel provides a shuttle too. But we preferred walking because the shuttle goes frm a long route so takes a lil longer to reach. Its very neat n clean n the rooms are of good size. The breakfast is typical arabic but we loved it.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Mrs Q
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel in a twin room after the Hajj days of 2013. Its about 10mins walk from the Haram and is on a main road which leads directly upto Gate no1- King Abdul Aziz gate. We were on the 4th floor which wasnt a problem as there were numerous lifts. My room was clean, tidy and well facilitated. My only quibble if any would be the fact that there were no tea/coffee facilities in the room and the fridge contained no drinks. I had a sneak at a quad room and it was the same size room with two extra folding beds- so it was a little cramped. The hotel also provided massage facilities which after the strenuous days of Hajj was well deserved. The food was excellent and the duration of the breakfast and dinner times were extensive so we were not restricted on choosing meal times that suited us. We would definitely stay at this hotel again but for the elderly or those with mobility issues I would recommend a slightly closer hotel to the Haram.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank naz1612
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed at this place during Hajj 2013. The best part of this place is the location - it is 5 minutes walk from Haram and when you come for Hajj or Umrah I guess that is the primary factor. The lobby is quite good and the rooms were very clean. The breakfast spread was also quite elaborate. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank asiftherock
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for total 7 days for my umrah trip. It was around 500 metres from masjidil haram, about 10 minutes of walking. It is a 5 star hotel and I have no complaints about the room. It was of high quality and very clean. Room cleaned and linen changed everyday. Bathroom was also clean. The lobby was exceptionally beautiful. Felt happy and comfortable staying there. Would consider staying here again. But for families travelling with old folks or people on walking aid or wheelchair, if you have more money must consider a nearer hotel to masjidil haram (which is more expensive like hilton) cause its quite a hassle if the elderly cannot walk the distance or need walking aid.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank Marina_Sham
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We are from Miami and went to Mecca in May 2013 to perform Umrah. We stayed at Al-Shohada for three nights, and were very disappointed. This may be the only expensive five star hotel in the world with flies. There were flies outside the hotel, inside the hotel, in the lobby, in the restaurant, in the breakfast lounge, and inside our room. There was no free wifi and you have to purchase it every day. The staff was arrogant, unwilling to help and with no courtesy. The only thing good in this hotel was it’s impressive lobby. Before coming to Mecca, we stayed three nights at Hotel Darul Eeman in Medina, right next to Masjid Nabvi. We had a great experience and will highly recommend Darul Eeman. We will NOT recommend Al-Shohada.

Room Tip: Please explore the hotels in Clock Tower Mecca right across the Haram.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JOY_MIAMI
sarawak, malaysia
Reviewed 13 May 2013

stayed there for 6 days under travel agency package. I got a very small room for two persons, and that room is separated by moveable sliding door, which i can obviously hear sounds from the attached room and worse case, if i slide the door leaves,i can see the next room clearly, which i dont feel comfortable at all. Where i need to protect my aurat from strangers and not my mahram. I reported the room to the help desk and they said the room is fully booked..the front desk man was very rude as well. But this hotel located at very strategic location, free shuttle to masjidil haram and huge lobby. No free wifi provided.

Room Tip: Avoid room 375
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple