“it sucks”

Ranked #31 of 358 Hotels in Mecca
Calgary
“it sucks”
Reviewed 20 August 2010

I just got back from makkah. our trip was planned as first 5 nights in Mecca, then 3 nights in Madina, then last 3 nights back in Mecca.

we stayed in this Ramada for last three nights. its 10 min walk from Grand mosque. They have shuttle service. In my three nights i never saw shuttle leaving the bus. Front desk said its leaving in 2 min. But after 15 min, we just walked.
Check in was no problem as our travel agency guy took care of that. Afterwards, if i had a problem they will take forever to take care of it.

Room were ok, washroom had no floor mat(when asked, they said they dont provide one). Fridge has fungus. Business centre has no internet.

If you are booked for this hotel, please pay extra and go somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank pathfinderfan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Madinah
Reviewed 18 August 2010

I am familiar with the Ramada Hotel name and my previous experience with the one in Jeddah was excellent. This Ramada in Makkah was definitely lacking.

ADVANTAGES:
*It is only about a 10 minute walk from the Haram.
*The bellhops and restaurant staff are EXTREMELY helpful. (This made up for the lack of service at the reception desk.)
-The bellhops helped with any questions we had and took care of our things and called a taxi at check-out time.
-As the seating is open in the restaurant, the staff provides partitions/barriers so that if there are women in your party who cover they can eat comfortably- just ask inshaaAllah.
*Reasonable price: The price was approx. 4000 SAR for 5 nights during Ramadan 2010.

DISADVANTAGES:
*The service at the front desk/reception area was severely lacking.
-They were fairly busy at the front desk when I was checking in-it was Ramadan so this is understandable- but I had to wait about 30 minutes to receive my change and a receipt. ( I booked with a card- it is necessary- but they requested I pay the total amount up front and in cash, so be ready to do so.)
*The shuttle doesn't run very often so be prepared to walk.
-It wasn't too bad because the hotel is close but if you have older people or small children in your party, you might take this into consideration.
*There is no room service or laundry service available.
-I don't know whether there was no room service because it was Ramadan but they advertise on their website that it is available. When I called after breaking the fast, I never got any answer. Suhoor was provided for free though. We had to go across the street to Shohada Hotel to get laundry service.
*The room was not clean when we arrived.
*The lighting in the room is very poor.

All in all, not a five-star experience but it is close to the Haram, affordable, and if you don't think you'll use room/laundry service, then this Ramada might be an option. I wouldn't recommend it as a first option though, only if you are pressed.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank ahp_902
london
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I stayed here with my wife. I have had the pleasure of being in this amazing city on 5 previous Umrah trips. Unfortunate timing of our trip was due to the fact that the authorities only just opened the doors for non arab visitors for Umrah season, as a result the City was packed!! We chose the Ramada as its a well known and decently run hotel in the UK. This is not the case for the KSA. The hotel for starters is 15-20min walk from the Grand Mosque. You cannot hear the Azaan from the hotel bedroom and the last thing you want to do here in this city is miss any of prayers, which unfortunately we did. The room service is non-existent. We stayed here for 5 days before we went onto Medinah and were planning to return to Makkah before we headed back to the UK. We quickly got in touch with our travel agent in the UK to get us another hotel nearer the Mosque and were pleased with the Grand Makkah where we stayed on our 2nd leg of the Umrah. One thing to note that obviously when performing Umrah, you do not need any luxuries, therefore any 3 star nearer the Haram will do. Which is where i have stayed on my previous trips and was very happy. The Ramada is a long walk in the midday sun and there is no shade along the route to the mosque. Would only stay here if there is no place left.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sid_Kadri

Travellers are raving about these Mecca hotels