“Ok for a short stay”

Ranked #98 of 218 Hotels in Riyadh
England
“Ok for a short stay”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Some of the reviews for this hotel are not very good. I wouldn't say it's a terrible hotel but for the money it's ok.It is nearly half the price of other hotels nearby and the standard in other hotels is not massively better.

The rooms are pretty standard with a bath / shower. There is a mini bar but no tea or coffee making facilities. The prices were better than some I have seen but I just went over to the supermarket opposite and stocked up on cold drinks and chocolate and kept them in the refrigerator.
The beds are quite hard but I don't mind that so I had some good nights here. Thank ggoodness for the OSN channels - saw some good movies while I was staying here.

There isn't much to do around the hotel. You are a good 20-25 minutes walk from the Kingdom Tower. You can get a taxi there for about 10-15 riyals (about £2-3) which is better.
There is an Indian restaurant within a few minutes walk and KFC & a burger place just round the corner.
Breakfast is pretty ordinary with tinned fruit, some limited hot food and pastries. I asked one day for a fried egg and ended up with something resembled road kill!
I didn't eat in the restaurant for dinner so I cant comment on that.
The staff are very friendly and helpful, some of them cant speak Englsh but they will get someone who can to speak to you very quickly.

You need to put your make up my room card on the outside of your door to ensure it is serviced.

Overall, for what you get here, the price is very good value and for a short stay, it is ideal

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Families
  • Arabic first
Bandung, Indonesia
Reviewed 10 May 2013

This is the first time I visited Riyadh. My Colleague recommend this hotel since it's close to the office where I had my work most of the time. It didn't take me long to decide but since I had to stay for 9 days in Riyadh, I decided to stay in two different hotel before I left. You know what? Thanks god I did, because otherwise I will mad at my friend :) because this hotel is so... I can't even say it!
OK...minuses:
(1) The bed. It's like sleeping on the floor or a board. It's very hard. I don't know about those who like hard bed, but I really don't.
(2) The carpet. It's old and though it's clean, still feel like it's not clean enough because the color.
(3) The bathroom floor. I stayed in room 504, and some pieces of bathroom floor are broken and its bounces when you step on it.
(4) The hot water. For the first 3 nights, when I took the shower, the hot water and cold water changes every 3 seconds. So sometimes you feel to hot, but other time you feel to cold. for the 4th night tha hot water not even there. And for the 5th and 6th nights I had to open the water for more than 10 minutes before I can get the hot water.
(5) The breakfast. It's like almost having the exact same food every morning.

To be fair, the hotel do have pluses:
(1) Of course it's location. It located 10 minutes walk to the Al Faisaliah mall and tower where you can go to observation deck and enjoy Riyadh lights at night. Or to get something to eat on the food plasa at the mall.
(2) This is probably the thing that can wipe the minuses. One afternoon I need to go somehwere, and asked the receptionist to write the address in Arabic for me. But he is Pakistanis and asked his Saudis friend instead. But to my surprise, he offer the lift by his car and don't want to get tips. His name is Jamal and he is an employee at the hotel but also a student in university majoring accounting. He even asked me to call him if I want to get back to the hotel again. But I took taxi instead :)

And that might be the only 2 pluses that this hotel have. IMHO, they really should improve. The rate of the hotel is quite high to only have this kind of services.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Riyadh hotels

The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 March 2011

This hotel only does a few things well and many things wrong.

Pro's:
1. Location is OK - if you need to be in the business area of Riyadh it is conveniently close by;
2. Check-in actually went quite smooth - the English of the Saudi receptionist was beyond expectation;
3. Noise insulation - because the hotel is next to King Fahad Road you really need good sound insulation, which is provided. On the downside - you cannot open the room window so you are dependent on the airconditioning (in winter, night temperature is low enough for sleeping comfortably, but I suppose that in the summer one would rely on the airco anyway).

Con's:
1. Horrible bed. Mattress is just a little bit softer than concrete, so you are bound to wake up broken;
2. Horrible breakfast. Canned fruit salad, horrible juice from a carton, lukewarm water for tea, no variation whatsoever;
3. Bathroom. You need to keep the tap running for a couple of minutes before the water turns warm (in the middle of a desert you are wasting good water...). Towels provided are incomplete - e.g. during a week's stay I only once had a bathroom mat and for the rest of the time I needed to use a towel on the floor;
4. Housekeeping. Room was not cleaned after the first night, so I decided to leave the 'make up my room' sign every day. Room is not clean - don't look at the carpet too close or otherwise you'll be afraid to walk in your room.
5. Internet connection is slow, so Skyping is audio only and most of the time with bad quality

Mainly, this hotel and its staff exude an atmosphere of disinterest in providing good service and a pleasant stay for its customers.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Karlsruhe, Deutschland
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I stayed at the Al Muthana several times, as it was booked by may partner. Though the place is clean (when you put the green hanger on the door they also clean your room), there are several points I did not like. But some good things first:

1. It is low priced.
2. Central location.
3. Little supermarket just across the street and Faisalia Mall in walking distance
4. Room service meals are reasonable priced and quite good (don't try arabic mezze as Hoummus!)
5. OSN-channels

1. Last time it seems as if there was only one Indian guy working at the reception who was speaking english. And he was not there all the time of course. The rest were Saudi Nationals who did not speak English at all.
2. As somebody said earlier - the beds are hoorrible!!! After a night I was always looking for the guys who had beaten me up in my sleep.
3. Internet is free, but connection is not stable. If you are a skype user you can forget about using video.
4. The bathroom looks quiet poor. Sometimes it took minutes until warm water was coming and then the shower head was leaking more than once.
5. Mini bar looks really poor (one can of coke, one fanta, one water and one alc.-free beer, 2 chocolate bars - that is it. And not even checked daily)
6. Breakfast buffet in the restaurant is the same everyday and the quality of the foods offered is mediocre.
7. As the flights back to Germany are leaving at two o'clock AM I was always asking for a late check-out charged with half a day. The time is always varying (from 5 - 9 PM).
8. You always here the "Ding" of the elevator, when your room is close.
9. Many if not most rooms have a connection to the next room. You here quite a lot of your neighbours.
10. Information given on the website is ridiculous and an outright lie.
11. Chair at the desk is terribly uncomfortable.

They really give you sometimes an upgrade, allthough I have to say, that the suite rooms are a waste of space. The sofa is surely nice, but that is actually the only plus you have. To me it looks like they just took out the wall between two rooms and took out the bathroom of one as well.

I have finally found the time to look for another hotel and already found one which is much nicer. Sure, it is more expensive (about 20 - 30 EUR I guess) but it is worth it,

Oh and by the way: I think the hotel once was rated 4* but now there is a sign next to the door, showing only 3*

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 23 May 2010

Stayed there for 5 days. Room was not really one I booked - instead of king bed I got a (bigger?) room with a single, very very uncomfortable bed. It was almost like sleeping on a wooden box, with just a slim mattress on top. Only position was to lie flat on your back, otherwise next day you were hurting a lot. Sofa was way softer but too short to sleep on.
TV with some movie channels (a plus), bathroom seemed not really clean (a minus). Good noise isolation from the street, very bad isolation from the corridor (you could hear people talking, elevators stopping, even on different floors).
Quite decent restaurant on 8th floor, also nice room service.
Not very well mantained hotel -- I thought it's 20-30 years old while it turned out it was built 4 or 5 years ago. Think about that.
Not recommended.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 19 March 2009

We stayed for 3-nights and did checked out a few other Hotels in the same location, without any doubt in this category, location and price you will not find a better hotel to stay in the same location. Room is very cozy and quiet, mangement and staff are very friendly and cooperative, restuarant is very elegantly arranged with a very beautiful view of the city main road and similarly the coffee shop has a very relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Little Red Dot Com
Reviewed 22 May 2008

For some odd reason, all the branded hotels in Riyadh were full last week, so I decided to try out Almuthana. The hotel's own website doesn't offer online booking, but a site called ResMe.com does, so I booked a "Studio" room for three nights at US$120/night, considerably cheaper than the US$200+ you'd be looking at for my usual Holiday Inn. On showing up, though, check-in didn't seem to have a clue about my booking or what to do with it, and they bumped me up to a "Junior Suite" and keyed in the rack rate of SR 863, nearly twice what it was supposed to be. I attempted to sort this out the next day, but I had to go through the rigmarole once more on check-out, ending up with a really bizarre looking bill that charged me SR 853 x 3 and then lopped off a few thousand riyal as "SINGLE ROOM DISCOUNT". Boggle.

So, positive things first: the hotel is very new and very stylishly and modernly done, with glass and muted shades of tan, none of the over-the-top gold glitz that Arabs usually like. The entire place has free, reasonably speedy wireless internet and the basics of my room worked fine. The "Junior Suite" was, indeed, large, although most of the space was rather useless: for example, the TV was perched atop the minibar in a corner, so far away from the sofa that binoculars would have come in handy. The bathroom was also way below Western standards: the shower blatters out only a thin stream of lukewarm water, and on my last day the bathtub plug got stuck, which would've led to a nice little flood if I hadn't managed to pry it open with a nail clipper.

However, it's the service that really lets down the hotel. The promised fitness center is open only 4 to 10 PM (!?), with a small, dark indoor pool with no access to the outside, and a laughable excuse at a gym that doesn't even have a functioning treadmill. My room wasn't cleaned at all on the first day, there was no sign of the promised fruit basket, and water bottles weren't replenished. I tried to order room service breakfast one morning, but nobody even bothered to pick up the little hang-on-the-door order form. Breakfast at the mezzanine floor cafe was quite OK though, brought plate by plate according to your order (no buffets) in Western or Arabic style, if a little expensive at SR 69.

All in all, for a quick overnighter Al Muthana would be fine, and the price certainly is very attractive. But for a longer stay, it's worth it to find a place that actually knows what they're doing.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Incompetence
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jpatokal