“My weekend in Bahrain”

The Westin Bahrain City Centre
Ranked #14 of 132 Hotels in Manama
“My weekend in Bahrain”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I spent 3 nights in the hotel , I selected the hotel due of the location attached to city center mall. Honestly since I arrived to the hotel grand building I found very warm welcome from every member in the entrance or reception desk . The room very clean and you feel comfortable facing the front side of the hotel. What attract me that you can go to the mall in easy way since the hotel is attached . Every time I do shopping and when I return to the room the down stair security offer his help by asking the service man to take our items to the room. Breakfast is excellent and the staff were very welcoming to every one and you don't need to wait to ask for tea or coffee they will come and offer the service. Honestly I think I need to go back to this hotel every time I visit Bahrain.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
KGIHBC C, General Manager at The Westin Bahrain City Centre, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Seeniim

We thank you for writing such a wonderful review of your recent stay with us.

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed our rooms and the direct connection to the mall, Bahrain’s largest entertainment destination. I’m delighted to learn that you appreciated the service provided by our experienced team of hoteliers. Positive feedback such as yours motivates us to strive even further. I have shared your kind feedback with my entire team.

It’s great to know that you enjoyed our breakfast. Our aim is to provide high quality food prepared with the freshest ingredients, many of which are delivered daily from our local partner farm located just 10 minutes away from the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you to another Kempinski in Bahrain in the future.

Puneet Singh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Arabic first
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary .. Lets start with the only positive point about this hotel .. The location adjacent to city center shopping mall which has so many things to do.

Now the CONS :
1- the staff were not welcoming at all .. We felt that they were forced to work or something .. The credit card was declined while there was enough balance .. I had to walk to the mall to withdraw the money and that was annoying ..

2- I can understand the security search on the gates .. But i felt watched like a criminal from security staff while i was in the lobby !! I really hated that.

3- the screen inside the room was terrible.. No welcoming note .. VERY very slow navigation between the pages and channels .. I just never used it for the whole stay!

4- the complimentary internet was a nightmare .. Very slow and kept disconnecting all the time.

5- the wedding anniversary package was fair but way high in price ( 55BD) .. Doesn't worth the price at all.

6- there was a note in the room says don't take any amenities from the room or you will be charged for anything missing .. That is offensive and disrespectful .. I've never seen such a note in any other hotel.. What a way to treat your guests !!

7- the path connecting the hotel to the mall is very narrow and long .. Sometimes my wife had to walk behind me all the way if there were many people facing us .. NOT comfortable AT ALL ..

8- overpriced for the type of room we stayed in ..

Stay here only if you want the shopping mall .. Otherwise just run away !! There are Many other good options in bahrain ..

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Abdulrahman_Asfar
Dear Mr Abdulrahman_Asfar

We thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed our direct connection to Bahrain City Centre mall.

I regret to hear that your experience with us was not up to your expectations. We would appreciate if you had brought your concerns to our attention at the time of your stay so that we could have assisted you then.

Please allow me address your comments individually. I’m sorry to hear that you experienced challenges with your credit card payment. Like all other hotels and shops around the world we do not control the credit card payment systems and occasionally there are hic-ups with payments, however this is beyond our control.

I regret to learn you felt our security control was not as you expected. We live in a world where security checks at public establishments have, unfortunately, become a way of life. We have an experienced security team who take the safety and security of all our guests extremely seriously.

I apologize if you experienced problems with your TV and internet connection. Our IT team would have been happy to help you if you had informed us at the time.

Regarding the room amenities such as bathrobes, towels etc. in the rooms are meant for guest use during their stay, however if any guest would like to purchase any items they are for sale. The note in the room is to inform the guests of that.

One of the things most of our guests appreciate is the direct connection to the mall through the corridor. When the hotel and the mall are busy the corridor is often busy too. I’m sorry to hear you felt it’s too narrow.

We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you in another Kempinski soon.

Tennessee
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this Hotel for a business event. The Hotel is very conveniently located in the Heart of Bahrain. It's directly adjacent to a top of the Line designer mall. The service was superb, the staff very friendly and extremely helpful and attentive. The guest room top modern, comfortable and very well equipped.
We for sure will stay at this Hotel again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
KGIHBC C, General Manager at The Westin Bahrain City Centre, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Mr. Globetrotter1955

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your stay with us.

I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and service provided by our experienced hoteliers. Our goal is to provide wonderful experiences and extraordinary service, and positive comments such as yours motivate us even further. Also, as you mentioned our direct attachment to Bahrain City Centre Mall with its 340 retail outlets and various entertainment options is an added bonus for our guests. Our location in central Manama makes it convenient to navigate the country. For example the Bahrain International Circuit can be reached in just 20 minutes; and Bahrain Fort, a UNESCO world heritage site is only five minutes’ drive from the hotel.

Our room design is contemporary with luxurious touches everywhere and we have a wide selection of room categories to choose from. I’m glad that you enjoyed our up-to-date style.

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

After a long sleepless drive here, my family and I just wanted to check in and rest but our room was delayed for two hours and all our complains were disregarded. The receptionists treated us with utmost disrespect with the meanest smug looks on their faces. Nothing in this hotel makes up for such bad service.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Nkknoha
KGIHBC C, General Manager at The Westin Bahrain City Centre, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Nkknoha,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback, we regret to hear that your experience with us was not up to your expectations.

I have discussed with the relevant team members your case and they were able to shed some light. In regards to the room delay, as part of our check in policy guests can start checking in at 3 pm, and you arrived at 10 am, however our staff still started the check in process immediately. Unfortunately there were no rooms available that met your request, thus you had to wait and we apologize for that. We’re sorry you felt your complaints were disregarded; we assure you we take our guests complaints very seriously. Our aim is to provide memorable experiences for our guests and we’re sorry to learn you felt we haven’t accomplished that.

We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back at our hotel soon.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my family at Kempinski Grand for two nights, we enjoyed everything about this hotel. Location is perfect for shopping as it is attached to Bahrain's largest mall, The City Center. Room is spacious and very clean. Internet is slow, but free of charge. Room service is very good & fast, loved their club sandwich.

On the down side, I wished the hotel provided a prayer room, as I have to go to the malls mosque for prayer.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Otaibi
Dear Mr Otaibi

We sincerely thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of your recent stay with us. We aim to create memorable experiences for our guests and are delighted to hear that you liked our service and enjoyed your time with us.

As you mentioned our direct attachment to Bahrain City Centre Mall with its 340 retail outlets and various entertainment options is an added bonus for our guests. Our location in central Manama makes it convenient to navigate the country. For example the Bahrain International Circuit can be reached in just 20 minutes; and Bahrain Fort, a UNESCO world heritage site is only five minutes’ drive from the hotel.

Regarding the prayer room, we have a space for our guests to pray next to the business centre in the Grand tower. We also allocate rooms for prayer in the banqueting area on the second floor in both Grand and Ixir towers. We apologize if this was not communicated to you.

Dhahran
Reviewed 7 June 2014

First time to stay at the Kempinski Grand Hotel and truly loved it. The "Smart Glass" used for the bathroom wall is very cool.

Staff was great, room was great, and free valet parking and wi fi.

I do have a question, why is there an ash tray and matches in a non smoking room?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
KGIHBC C, General Manager at The Westin Bahrain City Centre, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Mr Jerry102DE,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of your recent stay with us. I’m glad to hear your stay with us was a remarkable one.

I’m content to learn you enjoyed our hotel, the room and the bathroom with the high-tech Smart Glass technology, as well as the service provided by our passionate hoteliers. Our goal is to provide delightful experiences and service beyond the ordinary; and encouraging feedback such as yours motivates us to strive even further.

In regards to the ashtray and matches in a non-smoking room, they seem to have been placed in the room erroneously and we apologize for that. However, we’re delighted to know that your overall experience with us was a wonderful one.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I really like the Kempinski Hotel. I have been travelling to Bahrain for the past 6 months and always stay at the Kempinski. The hotel is well situated and adjoins the City Centre Mall so everything you need is literally 1 minute's walk away. The staff are incredibly helpful and courteous and the service offered by the Kempinski is outstanding.

When I arrived I was assigned my 'Lady in Red' (Naomi) who is my 'go to' person for any issues or questions I may have. Nothing is too much trouble and whenever I have a query or require advice, Naomi is always available to assist, and is always smiling and personally greets me on every check-in.

The Concierge service is exemplary - George (Head Doorman, Grand Tower) is always very pleased to welcome all guests and he makes you feel at home instantly as well as being able to provide any information on the entertainment and 'things to do' in the area (and there is so much to do in Bahrain, it really is a beautiful country\island.). In fact, all of the concierges and doormen are really nice and will assist you in any way they can; superb professional, courteous and knowledgeable staff!

Rashida (Ixir Tower Reception Desk) always remembers me and always greets me with a smile; it's the little things (courtesy, manners, politeness) that make you feel really welcome and provide you with the 'come back soon' feeling, as if you are really missed when not at the hotel. It's kind of a large family feeling (home from home if you will) and for travellers working away from home, this service is an important part of making a foreign stay feel like you are at home.

The room quality is of an excellent standard regardless of the tower you are staying in (The Grand is slightly more upmarket than the Ixir for room décor) however the room sizes in both towers are of a very good size. In-room beverages are available including Tea, Coffee, etc. as well as bottled waters available at no cost.

The room service is fantastic - Order food and within 30 minutes it is at your room, and the food is of a good standard too. The food is brought to your room in a hot caddy and is served for you in the room - A great service and the very polite room service staff serve your food for you

The Pool and Spa is out of this world.
The pool is an infinity pool and is 1.5 metres deep regardless of where you are in the pool (its all the same level). There is also a smaller Jacuzzi pool to chill out in and for the children to play in if they are not good swimmers. The pool area is constantly manned by capable lifeguards (James and Jesse) and both demonstrate 'safety first' whenever children and adults are in or by the pool. Swimming jackets (buoyancy aids) are readily available for children and adults should they be required. The pool bar is manned by Wissam who always greets you with a smile and a handshake, and he has a very good memory; he always remembers what you like to drink and usually your room number too!

The Spa is fantastic - I took the opportunity to treat myself to a massage and the service, professionalism and capability of the masseurs and therapists is second to none. There is a Sauna, Steam Room, Jacuzzi\Spa and the treatment rooms, as well as a 'relaxing area' post treatment. Being served with Ginger and Honey tea after the treatment just tops everything off nicely.

With regards to the location, City Centre Mall is connected to the hotel and boasts every department store and outlet you could wish for. There is also a food court (with a children's play area which has amusements, rides and a water park!), restaurants and a large Cinema within the mall.

Other entertainment is only a taxi ride or car journey away. Local eateries, shisha, Souq markets, night clubs, F1 racing circuit (with karting!)....its all here in Bahrain.

If you didn't know, Bahrain is 'western' with regards to it's cultures and approaches so everything is very relaxed however you should always be respectful of local customs (dress and act appropriately when shopping in the mall, etc.) however ladies do not need to cover themselves and the multi-culture embrace that Bahrain offers is truly unique and welcomes everybody.

The Kempinski hotel is superb! As I mentioned earlier, I always stay here when I travel to Bahrain, but don't just take my word for it, try it for yourself and you will be extremely happy with the service you receive, I am sure.

Room Tip: The Grand tower has slightly better room furnishings than the Ixir tower, however this is the only r...