“Romantic Birthday Dinner”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
al khobar
“Romantic Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

A hidden gem of a restaurant in Bahrain offering some of the best pasta and steak we have had. The restaurant has a perfect atmosphere with freindly staff who add real value to your evening. This is a new local for us, and id recommend you add it to your list.

Visited August 2014

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
Manama, Bahrain
“Masso, they did it again, again and again... undoubtedly THE place for food lovers in Bahrain!”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We are used to visit Masso for their renown brunch, which we enjoy a lot. Now they did it again with our dinner and not only once! Amazing, the place maintains the level of quality day and night.
It's not only the food we enjoyed, it’s the presentation and the professional attitude, yet with closeness to their guests. With all this, you can only feel relaxed while indulging in their culinary creations. For all wine lovers, Masso does have a great vine list with that reaches everyone’s fine taste. Even if you have to wait for your table, their bar offers a warm atmosphere with great barkeepers. The place is a culinary jewel in Bahrain, with a extraordinary atmosphere and great professionals at their best... Masso was and still remains my favorite restaurant in Bahrain!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank AGO74
Manama, Bahrain
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our favourite restaurant”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We have lived here for ten years. Had some good meals at places. Some very good. Nothing as good as what we have experienced at Masso. Just had two amazing meals in the last month at Masso. Best fish dish ever for me. Do not understand bad review except maybe a private agenda. Or just a bad night which we have never seen from many visits. It happens. We are tired of bad meals out so we don't go out that much. But when we want a treat it's Masso. Try them when it's not crazy busy and you can see them shine. (we think they shine when busy too) And on a quiet night you might get to meet the lovely Chef Susie. And the rest of the staff are just as charming and lovely.

• Visited August 2014
Manama
“Never again at Masso”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

On Thursday 14th we (myself and my wife) booked a table at Masso accompanied by another couple of friends.

We arrived on time but the table wasn't ready; the lady at the front desk invited us to have a drink at the bar while waiting and so we did. We ordered 2 Prosecco, I paid and exchange was given to me "in hand" by the barman....without receipt (which is ILLEGAL!!!). Willing to have a great evening and encouraged by the positive reviews on this site, I let it go, thinking (and hoping) that the 2 Prosecco would be mentioned on the final bill as already paid items.

The table was then ready (approx. 15 minutes late), we selected the starters and ordered a bottle of wine and 3 Apero. Till now everything was fine, but......
1. The starters arrived prior the Apero.....we asked the waiter what had happen and he replied by blaming the barman about the delay....we cancelled the order
2. Starters: arancino's and mozzarella di bufala; the mozzarella was very good while the arancino's were dry and, in my personal opinion, not fresh

Let's continue with the main....the order consisted in 2 veal scaloppini, 1 risotto saffron, 1 gnocchi with gorgonzola. In detail:
1. The veal was served with mashed potato.....on my plate I found solid pieces of potato within the puree....it should have been worked for a minute more at least. On top of that the puree was dry and not enough milk was added. The veal was good and the combination with artichokes was a winner.
2. Saffron risotto (the order of my wife): horrible, watery, tasteless and not homogeneous. My wife was tempted to return it. I am aware that Masso claims risotto's are their specialty, but probably this is true if the restaurant's chef prepares the risotto....in our case I can't believe, and I don't even expect, the dish was prepared by the chef. About the water (or broth) content: true, in north east Italy (where I come from) the risotto is served "all'onda" (bit more dry), while in the region Lombardia, slightly more liquid (maybe water content lower by 10%)....this is a fact, however what was served at our table had nothing to do with these 2 scenario. It was (sorry for the adopted terminology) a pool.....
3. Gnocchi with gorgonzola (ordered by my mate): this was fun....the waiter presented the dish stating that it was gnocchi gorgonzola.....weird, as the dish appeared to be gnocchi with truffles (!!!)....and so it was....
At that point I called the waiter complaining about ALL what had happen that night. He apologized and took the gnocchi back. Said that, I was expecting that some senior personnel (chef or restaurant manager) would pay a visit at our table for further discussing the unpleasant dinner....but we were totally ignored. To be noted that our table was located 3 meters away from the front desk and the lady managing that area assisted the entire scene...and did nothing.
Back to the gnocchi....finally the gnocchi gorgonzola landed on our table and, again, a disaster...: gnocchi were over-cooked and sweet, sweet, far too sweet.....I well know this dish and how the balance of flavors should be, but we were far from that. I do believe the used ingredients were top quality, but the execution was below standard (surely the gorgonzola gives the sweet component, but this was excessive) . My mate wanted to return the dish, but we decided to cut the evening short and end this bad experience as soon as possible.

We skipped the desserts and asked the bill. On this task the Masso waiters (note that 4 waiters served us, in different stages) were very efficient and, in seconds, the bill was at our table.
120 BD for 2 starters, 4 mains and a (good) bottle of south-American wine; despite the good products used as ingredients, I truly believe that execution and service can not justify a bill like this. Ah, forgot to mention: the 2 Prosecco did not appear anywhere in the final bill....ok, tips for the barman....never mind.

On the way out, neither an apology nor a smile from the lady at the front desk, just a "enjoy your evening".....well thanks for spoiling our evening I thought....

The following day we met by chance at City Center and had a quick lunch at "Va Piano"....funny (and sad) to say that we all agreed we had a better meal at Va Piano in comparison with what we have eaten at Masso the previous night.....and for 1/4 of the price.....

My recommendation to Masso management: go back to the basics and train, train and train your staff.....teach the personnel in the kitchen about the basic flavors of Italian (or south European) cuisine, train your waiters to know what they are serving and train the barman about the basic principles of customer service.

All the above is what has happen to me and 3 other persons very close to me during that night, maybe someone from Masso team will reply to this message and deny, but this is, in detail, what we experienced.

Hope my comments will be constructively taken into consideration toward an improved service at Masso restaurant.

Regards

• Visited August 2014
15 Thank Matteo M
Smassetti, General Manager at Masso, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Sir,
let me start by thanking you for such a thorough review and your constructive feedback and knowing that is coming from a colleague is particularly appreciated. We remember your table quite well,

Please allow me to clarify few things:

While is not a good habit not to give the receipts I believe it's not illegal in Bahrain and while wrong it was not intentional. My bartenders were reprimanded, and seriously, for not insuring that you took the receipt with your change but I can assure you that the sale was recorded.

We are blessed with a great and honest team, however as we do not transfer bills from the bar to the dining room the 2 prosecco glasses were on a separate bar bill. Should you need a copy of the receipt I'll be happy to email it to you.

While not ready when you arrived, and my apologies for that it was a busy weekend night as you saw, the table was ready in few minutes or literally as soon as the prosecco was served so that the hostess seated you with your glasses of wine still untouched.

I will never apologize enough for the wrong order of gnocchi that was brought to your table, there is no excuses to that and the mistake had consequences for the waiter. The risotto was Alla Milanese not in Venetian style but see, I'm from Milano, your wife cleaned the plate though...

I wish that when I passed by your table to see if the gnocchi were being eaten or when Luigi our Italian Assistant Manager, came personally to the table and asked how everything was, a comment or better of, a complaint was made. It would have been very helpful and I never shy away form taking responsibility when things are not perfect, I would have immediately and personally come back and apologize to you and your guests.

Thank you very much for noticing in different occasions throughout your meal that our ingredients are of excellent quality and we will work more on the delivery, Your comments and feedback are appreciated.

Chef Susy Massetti
Bahrain
“If this place were in Europe it would be in the Michelin Guide”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Great decor, great service and great food. The executive Chef is never too busy for her customers, something you rarely see in fine dining establishments these days. Can't recommend enough, if you've come to Bahrain on a trip and your have not been to Masso you have missed out.

• Visited June 2014