“Fairly shabby, with outrageous Internet charges.”

Golden Tulip Bahrain
Ranked #49 of 133 Hotels in Manama
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I'm sitting in my room in The Golden Tulip, Manama, Bahrain. It is a five star hotel. I'm sure that rating is technically correct, but it really doesn't feel like a five star hotel. There's nothing really that wrong with it, it has all the relevant bits and bobs one would hope for - TV with lots of channels, a pool, gym, etc etc, but....none of it is really that good.

The gym, for example, is frankly a little grubby and the equipment is old, as is the changing area.  The sauna and steam room are actually ok, but as there is only one of each (and one gym) there are strict rules as to when men may use it and when the women are allowed in. Men, naturally, get the better deal. The pool area is clean and pleasant, although they are short on sun-beds - from memory there are only about eight or ten. The floodlit tennis court and table tennis table have been well used during my stay, and they are a welcome chance to take some exercise in the open air.

My room is fine - it has a decent enough TV, for example - but it is big and old and bits are falling off both the box and the remote. Carpets, curtains and the like are also a bit tired, as is the bedding. The bathroom is fine, but nothing out of this world. Room cleaning is a little random - the bin is emptied intermittently and sometimes days dirty glasses have been left around for two or three days at a time. As I write this, there are seven dirty glasses around the room, only two of which came up with me last night. The complimentary water which was provided on the first night (of ten) has never been replenished.

The restaurant is arguably the best bit. The food is a little repetitive, especially the cold bits, but its tasty all the same. They do a good line in 'amuse bouche' at lunch and dinner - I recommend the tuna mousse personally. (Since writing that bit about a third of my group has come down with a dicky tummy, and as we are eating three meals a day here, i thought a cautionary note was advisable...)

As for 'stuff to do', well, there isn't that much. I get the impression Bahrain is not really a tourist destination - especially Manama and particularly not at this time of year, well in to the super-hot season. The grand mosque is worth a visit, as is the fort, but for tourist attractions I am guessing other bits of Bahrain are more appropriate. There is little within walking distance from the hotel apart from a mega expensive mall and a 24 hour costa coffee (with free Internet!). Which brings me on to my next point...

The Internet charges in this hotel are possibly the most absurd I have come across in the world - and I've been around quite a bit. In English money, it comes to about 50p per minute with a cap at about £20 per day. It bears repeating; £20 per day. I've stayed at about thirty or forty hotels this year and I think this is the first one that has charged us for Internet, and the most expensive one I have ever come across. Pretty scandalous I think and worth boycotting the hotel for, until this changes. (If you're clever though, you may find the free wifi that we found here - what seemed to be a loophole in the hotel system. It was not uncommon to find members of my company sat around in the corridor on one of the guest floors, harvesting free Internet while we could, fearful they would discover our secret and consign us to the misery of spending valuable beer money on a service that should, I think, be free.)

All in all, despite a bit of a gloomy review, the hotel is OK. I wouldn't come here on holiday, but I wouldn't be upset if work brought me back here again. However, my bedroom window affords me an excellent view of the Sheraton which is across the road. I think perhaps if I were given the choice, I'd rather have a view of the Golden Tulip than one from the Golden Tulip...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Golden Tulip Bahrain

Reviewed 1 July 2012

I booked the brunch for Fri, June 29, 2012, for my birthday.
Me and my husband as well as our friends, we are big fans of Movempick brunch but, because we heard a lot about Golden Tulip we said to give it a try.
Very very dissapointing!!! The money we paid (BD 99) is not worse it at all!
The quality of food is bad, the buffet was never refilled therefore, if you didnt take the food in the beginning you get the leftovers!
It looks so cheap and there is no staff to take care of the buffet cleanliness!
The Mojitos was the worse I ever had in my life!
The waitress assigned for our table was always standing behind the table, which made me feel very uncomfortable.
When clearing the table, she will ask if she can remove the plates, even she will see the way the cutleries were arranged on the plate! When she will remove the dirty plate, she will not notice the other plates that were dirty or needed to be removed. I had a plate with cucumber and another one with another dish that were never removed until I asked the waitress to do so.
I didnt have any main dish coz everything had sauce and didnt look good at all!
The quality of service was poor. There was an argument between a waitress and a supervisor, right inside the restaurant, while clients were having lunch.
There were 2 private parties, one for a bride to be and the other one for somebody who was leaving Bahrain! We were very disturbed by these 2 events, coz the people were making speaches, singing, and even walking around to collect money for the bride to be!
I cant imagine that the management will allow something like to happen but, there was no manager around!
When we wanted to pay, we were told from the cashier that we have to pay for 3 people! But we were 4 at the table! If my husband would've not call their attention, you will loose revenue.
On top of everything, the main door is under renovation and there is no indoor place to smoke!

All in all, a very bad experience! I will not recommend to anybody to go to this brunch, not only because there is no food quality and the food selection is not there but also, there is no proper service and everything is very poor!

Thank you and good luck.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank OanaR
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Visited the Golden Tulip for Friday Brunch on Friday, 6 April 2012 with my wife and another couple. For those who do not know the 'Friday Brunch' is very popular with ex-pats working in the Middle East and most good hotels and restaurants have one.
I have been to the Brunch at this hotel before (Feb 2011) and I rate it as probably the best value v quality in Bahrain (though my wife claims the Movenpick is as good/better value, but I have not been there yet).
The hotel is undergoing some major refurbishments within it fron of house and the last time I went the brunch was in the reception area looking over the pool. This time it was in the ballroom but the quality of food, drink and entertainment was just as high. From 12.00 to 15.00 you can eat and drink as much as you want with a full menu selection (self serve) and a fresh bar-b-q (cooked on demand). Excellent quality steaks and a wide selection of fish as well as lobster. There are normally three roast meats available including ham and pork and an excellent international offering. Drinks are either soft drinks, beer, wine (red, white or sparkling) and Mojitos. There are activities for children (face painting, balloon man etc)and a Filipino band who initially play background music but once guests have finished eating it quickly becomes dance music with lots of people dancing and offering a really nice atmosphere. The cost for all of this is BD23.00 (in taxes) which in Bahrain is good value for money!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chris P
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Located in the business district, the location is near the shopping outlets too.

Hotel is well equipped and comfortable, and has a fairly wide selection of food for meal times.

I would rate it as a 3 star facility.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Bhavin69
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed there last night and the experience was awful. Firstly we were given an extremelly noisy room (not sure where those noises came from, but it was impossible to sleep in there). We called the Front Desk to move to another room and said they would send someone. No one came. After calling 3 times and chasing them several times, someone came with the new keys. However, the rooms are old, dirty and the staff is not helpful at all. The food at the restaurant is not up to a 4 star hotel standards and staff is not trained accordingly.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marta B
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Location was great, just the opposite of Moda Mall and quite near to the city centre. Food was okay. Service wise was average. Our stay was just a ahort one so probably inadequate time to really evaluate the service as a whole.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank sherryazie
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My family was allocated this hotel while on transit during our return flight to Kuala Lumpur from Jeddah on Gulf Air. Check in was fast and efficient. Room was average though we had to walk quite a distance outdoor to get to the room, which made us shiver since the temperature outside was about 16C and we were only dressed in clothing appropriate for tropical climate since we came from 35C Jeddah. We don't mind the change actually! Furnishing in the room was very basic, adequate for few hours stay, but no drinking water placed in the room which is what every traveller will need. The complimentary dinner was quite good. Even though we were transit guests, the F& B did not cut corners. We had salads, soup, rice with 4 side dishes, desserts and soft drink. In fact better than what were served to us at a 5 star hotel we stayed in Makkah! Upon check out, the management sent a staff to knock on every door to ensure that no guests were left behind by the airport shuttle to catch our next flight

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family