“Pleasantly surprised”

Golden Tulip Bahrain
Ranked #49 of 134 Hotels in Manama
Reviewed 27 January 2014

After reading some of the stories beforehand, I came to this hotel with some misgivings. After staying there for 2 nights and having a meeting in the hotel, not only are my misgivings gone but I was very happy with my stay. The hotel looks very nice, with a good mix of rustic and modern style. My room, where I had read was old fashioned and dated was simply very nice. And last but not least, if there were any complaints about the staff - I did not experience it. In fact, the staff was so helpfull - and that is 100% of all staff I had contact with - that it really made my stay more than pleasant. I certainly would return to this hotel and could recommend it.
If there was any criticism I could give - the pillows are a bit too big - smaller pillows or softer pillows would be helpful - but again, a subject of personal preference.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 January 2014

The property is good and the services were decent from a basic service perspective. The pickup and drop to airport was good and was without any confusions. The vehicle and the drivers were very good. The room service and housekeeping staff were courteous and helpful. The staff at reception were good, however they need to improve there knowledge about the facilities outside hotel and also about the nearby geography.
But there are several aspects that can definitely be improved from Value for Money perspective. The hotel do not provide Complimentary WIFI in rooms. It does have broadband infrastructure also but that is also not complimentary. Many hotels who do charge also provide certain spaces in hotel where it is complimentary.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I had a training course in the hotel. I thout it would be better if I stay in the same hotel to be easy for me to attend the course. But after the first night I found staying in such hotel would be a bad decision. Room is small, toilet is not comfortable, furniture is very old and price was high compairing to other neighborhood places. I planned to stay for 6 nights but I cancelled my booking and moved to Majestic Arjan by Rotana in Muharraq.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Being that ourr hands were forced and we had no choice but to stay at the Golden Tulip i do feel that leaving this review may not be fair. However, after a particularly taxing journey that started in Heathrow's terminal 4, lasted 24 hours and culminated in our missing our connecting flight in Bahrain, we were booked into the Golden Tulip hotel by our carrier, Gulf Air.

If you are nostalgic for the glamour and glitz of a 1970's Las Vegas hotel (not on the strip but in the cheaper neighbourhoods) then this hotel is for you. Our room featured rusting light fixtures, patches in the bathroom and a strange, lingering damp smell. Luckily we could read all night as we had a floodlight right outside our window so the hotel could be lit up at night and look pretty from a distance.

The entire floor we stayed on stank of stale cigarettes, the staff were nothing short of ignorant and made us feel as if we were criminals simply because we had a free night and did not pay for it. We had to convince the room service team that we were allowed to use their services and when it did finally arrive our waiter rang down to reception as he openly told us that he did not believe we were allowed to sign for goods and be trusted to pay for them the next day.

All in all a completely ruined first day of our holiday and staff that made us feel like criminals.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

i staied in this hotel for 3 nights. Business center open 12 noon only. i reserved excutive room at 5th floor..they give me standard room at 6th floor. they cheated me in room type and refuse to change it. the room lights just go off and u stay in darkness. there are other good hotels around this one. not good for family.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This was a fair hotel. Really... nothing was very wrong with it, but it was a five star hotel maybe at the end of 70s or the beginning of the 80s. Room was okay, staff was nice with me. I have attended a conference, so I was not really looking for anything special, I just needed a place to sleep.

I do not know if rooms are all smoking rooms but I received a smoking one and it was not very good to be in constant slight smell.

However I really think that they should review their rating since it is misleading. If they would go for a four start than complaints would be less.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I was booked into the Golden Tulip by the client I was visiting in Manama as it was close to their location. I had read the reviews on tripadvisor and I wasnt expecting great things, but unfortunately the hotel was even worse than I expected and far worse than similar rated properties in the middle east. The hotel is badly in need in renovation, I was informed by the management that they are going through a program of renovation floor by floor but in my opinion they would be better served knocking it down and starting again. The hotel arranged pick up from the airport which they were late for, the hotel and lobby appeared dated and had a horrible damp smell. I tried to tell the staff that I had a loyalty club membership but I dont think their english is great even though they are very polite and friendly as often information was just not forthcoming or questions i asked were ignored. In the end I gave up with this. My room was on the 5th floor next to an executive lounge for the floors above which I never saw anybody use the whole time i was there. In fact the hotel never seemed very busy during my 4 night stay. Despite asking for a non smoking room my room had ash trays in it and everything in it was dated and stained. The walls had stains and marks on them, the fittings were old with two lamps being broken. The bathroom had signs on the toilet saying it needed to be flushed hard to work and the suite was stained and from the 1970s with rust and corrosion on the shower fittings and pipes. The hairdryer provided was a square cream bakelite contraption from the 80s which would have taken over an hour to dry my hair. I had to ring housekeeping and ask for a hairdryer which when it came was still about 15 years old. The WIFI was terrible and I couldnt complete any work or connect to my emails through it. On the first night I was kept awake by people in the corridor and noise at 4am. When I complained the next morning about all the above, i was told i couldnt move rooms as those guests had checked out, not addressing any of my other complaints. My client later told me that someone had drowned in the swimming pool that night messing about! I have no idea if this is even true but it doesnt surprise me as the pool area is disorganised, dated and dirty. The gym facilities and changing rooms were disgusting with dirt all over the floor. The gym is accessed through an unmarked, locked door at the end of the changing room and although sizeable all the equipment is falling apart. I ate at the japanese restaurant which is probably the most pleasant part of my stay but it was distinctly average for the price and the sports bar again was dated and not particularly comfortable for a woman on her own as was made abundantly clear. All in all - do not stay here ever. It was shocking.

Room Tip: Apparantly the 6th and 7th floor executive rooms have been renovated.