“A beautiful hotel, staff could be more friendly.”

Gulf Hotel Bahrain Convention and Spa
Ranked #7 of 132 Hotels in Manama
Alexandria
“A beautiful hotel, staff could be more friendly.”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I have just had a two week stay at the Gulf. the Hotel is beautiful to behold and well place to local restaurants up in Adliya. The bathroom was well fitted out with biggest bath I have seen in a long time. Unfortunately there was hardly no alcohol due to Ramadan. Nevertheless the rooms are very comfortable, the beds are the size of tennis courts and what there was of room service was delivered in a timely fashion and the food was very good. Only three of the restaurants were open, the staff said it was just the way of the hotel for the past few years during Ramadan. Some of the staff were excellent, the pool bar attendants , the concierges at the door and the physiotherapist are of special note. I got the impression that quite a few of the staff were more worried about there jobs than anything else at times. The pool area is picture postcard stunning as are the grounds. The hotel itself is a little worn around the edges but is kept in a good state of repair by the maintenance staff. Free wi-fi as standard in all the rooms, bit slow at times but it is free.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the 13th floor lounge, free food and drink if you don't feel like going out. T...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I think the service in the hotel is outstanding. I spent 2 weeks in this hotel and can't complain one bit. Anytime I needed anything they were willing to help. I will say that you are limited on the TV channels but I am outside the U.S. and was able to find something to entertain at times. The bed wasn't as soft as I would expect on a hotel with a 5 star rating. If I compared the beds, Hampton Inn has a great quality bed for mid market hotel chain. I found it very clean. Lots of restaurants in the hotel. The gym is great which is open to public for memberships so prepare for busy times.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed 23 August 2012

high points: location is good, restaurants are all excellent , pool and kids waterfalls area are great , friendly stuff, cleanness is very good, good parking area

low points: No security at the apartment building the entrance to the apartment building from the hotel has nobody setting at the security desk (spoke to the duty manager but no action was taken), room service is slow , bad view from my apartment, no market to serve the apartments , internet service is slow and always down, TV channels are very limited and not clear, no "safe" in the rooms?

Room Tip: select a good view to the Great mosque
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Best hotel in Bahrain. Best pool in Bahrain. Best restaraunts in Bahrain. The Gulf is unreal in every aspect. Location, layout, design. You truly never need to leave the hotel. The club floor is amazing. Entire hotel staff are wonderful and see to every detail. Our favroite place to eat in the hotel, and there are many options is Sato. It's still the best sushi I have ever, ever, had. Private check in, elevators, and rooms for club floor. Worth every penny with the 6AM-11PM food drink service free...

Room Tip: Club floor pays for itself with all the free meals and drinks!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Doha
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I had been invited to the Formula 1 this year in Bahrain.

I had the joy of staying in the hotel. From the moment I arrived until my check out there has not been a single minute I could complain about.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.
I asked to get certain appointments arranged while staying in their hotel and everything has been taken care of.

Because I arrived late at the hotel, I had to order room service. Their food was tasty and fresh.

I will be back in Bahrain and will definitely stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank qatar2008
UK
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I am a member of th Gulf hotel Prestige Club & let me start by saying that the quality of food in the bars & restaurants has been good, however the rooms are terrible & I would never stay there again…….

I decided to take up the offer of a Prestige family night in the hotel on 13th July, with my wife & 2 children.

After booking in we were given a room with 1 bed, 2 towels, 2 robes, 2 cups etc. – obviously a double room and there were 4 of us. After waiting 30 minutes to get this resolved I returned to reception to try & explain there were 4 of us & not 2 & why did they think we would all fit in 1 bed & drink from 2 cups etc.

We were then given an apartment – that was spacious enough –however I would say that the quality is not 5 stars. CRT TVs in the bedroom, tired furniture & décor – my apartment in Juffair about 500m away is 500% better, it was supposed to be a treat – so we were very disappointed.

We went to the pool – that quite frankly was quite dirty, used nappies lying about, dirty sun beds is not what I would of expected – but we made do & the pool is nice. Though more house keeping should be done – we had to ask to get things tidied.

On returning to the room to get ready for the evening water started pouring through the light fittings in the bathroom – dirty water – all into our bath, the floor etc. I immediately called reception & they said they would send someone up. I regard this as not only unpleasant – but dangerous. Water & electricity – someone could have been killed! We could not use the bathroom.

No one arrived for 30 min & we left the room as we had a reservation in restaurant. I informed reception to get it sorted & let me know – no one did.

On returning to the room that evening the mess had been cleaned up. However the next morning the same thing happened again & we were unable to use the bathroom. This was totally inacceptable. Looking at the ceiling it wasn't the first time, I don't think they take complaints seriously there

On checking out I complained & spoke to the Duty Manager & was offered a derisory 10BD off my bill of about 220BD! I was flabbergasted & walked out.

Room Tip: Try the Sofitel - it's out of town, but brand new & luxery all over!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ian C
Gulf Hotel B, Manager at Gulf Hotel Bahrain Convention and Spa, responded to this review, 22 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Gulf Hotel.

I am glad that you find our restaurants to be of a high standard. I am sorry about the unfortunate experience you had in our Executive Apartments. Clearly this does not reflect the normal standard of service we provide. We would like to point out that we have had separate correspondence with you with a view to settling your complaint in a mutually beneficial manner.

We hope to able to welcome you to the Gulf Hotel in the future.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 31 July 2012 via mobile

A very relaxing and quiet hotel. Room very clean and new. Pool is very nice. Food is excellent. Highly recommended.
My stay was during Ramadan, and I found it to be a great experience (as a westerner) I was not inconvenienced in the least, and while the restaurant selection was curtailed, there was a wonderful in-room food service as well as Iftar buffets offered after sunset. A very nice stay.

• Stayed July 2012