“Nice Hotel but my Room was Really Really Bad...”

Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 69 Hotels in Kuwait City
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
“Nice Hotel but my Room was Really Really Bad...”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I was in Kuwait on a business trip. The hotel is nice. You can see they spent large sums on the "look." The problem is the functionality. As a start, I stayed on the fourth floor. The amenities in the room are nice BUT, the row of rooms --4326 thru 4342-- has no real windows that bring daylight. They emitatetd the windows and placed lights behind these make-belief windows! Smart move yet terrible feeling and very dim lighting. So, make sure not to stay in these rooms. To be fair, i mentioned this to the front desk manager and he offerd to change my room. The bathroom is nice yet the shower door is not water tight so you end up with a real mess after the shower! Also, the first day I used some of the shampoo and such. You would expect that they replenish these with new ones. They did not. I wonder is this a savings policy? Hotel staff are really nice. One thing I did not like much is the visible security staff next to the lift carrying what I thought is a list of hotel guest. It is reassuring to have such visibile security yet it also suggests they have unwanted people who pretend to be guests.

Room Tip: Do NOT accept any room in the row of 4326-4342 (or similar locations on different cloors) for lack o...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ahmad A
MarkGriffiths, General Manager at Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at the Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel and Spa. We were certainly pleased to read that, for the most part, your recent stay at Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel was a pleasant one. We apologize that your bathroom amenities were not replaced this was an oversight on our part which should not have happened. Thank you for letting us know about the shower door we will have it repaired. We were delighted that you found our staff to be friendly and have shared your comments with them. Our security presence is to secure privacy for our guests and to ensure only registered guests have access to our rooms.

Once again, thank you very much for taking your time to mention us on a Tripadvisor, we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Yours Sincerely
Mark Griffiths

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
channel islands
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I travel to Kuwait often and decided as Sirius card member to try the new Jumeirah Messilah Hotel and Spa. I had three nights here and your first impression of the hotel is excellent, clearly the owners have spared no expense when it comes to the fittings and furnishings, they truly are first rate. In fact I would go as far as to say that this is the most luxurious hotel in Kuwait, which I am sure was what they were aiming for.

I was fortunate to have an executive room which meant I had a VIP check in and an extended check out time and of course access to the lounge. All of which was very nice.

I used the gym which carries equipment to satisfy even the most hard core of us weight shifters. I did not use the spa but I did get a tour. It was very disappointing to note that guests have no access to the spa (sauna, steam rooms etc) unless you are having a treatment or pay a KWD12 fee (half price for guests). This certainly is not clear when booking and especially annoying when you note that the gym only has showers and no steam room and no where to sit when you get changed. This is, in my opinion, a major set back and would make me reconsider my hotel choice on the next trip.

I am now going to be critical but please note the hotel is in the "soft opening stage" and no one gets it right first time. My critic will be based on many years of staying at other Jumeirah hotels and the standard etc I expect.

My room was spacious and clean and but when cleaned was done without an eye for attention to detail. The bathroom shower gel etc is from the Plantation company and although OK was not the Molten Brown I was expecting or hoping for. Every morning of my stay I found an Arab news paper hanging outside my door, which I usually enjoy but most hotels recognise an English speaking guest and put that version in rather than the local one, which they did each day. A little KYC goes a long way. The rooms mini bar was well stocked but the soft drinks were chargeable which is not usually the case when you have executive lounge access and was a little annoying. This said there was no opener for the bottles anyway so I couldn't of opened it even if I was willing to pay £3+ for a small sprite.

There was no folder with info about the hotel etc and handy local info, one can only home that this is on order for the formal opening due next month. The bath was a jacuzzi type which would have been great if I could have got more than Luke warm water. I tried a couple of times in case it was the time of the time which was an issue. No such luck. I should add that this was not the case with the shower which was huge and excellent.

I eat breakfast only once which was quite nice although I did ask the chef covering the omelette area if I could have two fried eggs, once I could see he did not understand I tried and American approach and asked for eggs over easy. At first he seemed to understand but later when I was given a plain omelette I just gave up.

I eat twice in the Garden Cafe for lunch and this was excellent, especially as it was a buffet. Lots to choose from.

The area outside and the pool etc are lovely and the life guards look on diligently. I would say the looks over safety have prevailed as the area around the pool which is marble gets extremely hot and slippery. Be warned.

I like to finish on a positive and that is the heart of any hotel and this is the staff. They are attentive, well trained and a credit to the management. It is this that will keep people coming back. The smaller details which need to be though about can be resolved.

Will I return, perhaps? I will have to see what the value is like and see if any changes have been made.

Room Tip: There is no such thing as a bad room at a Jumeirah Hotel but I would say that paying extra to get th...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
MarkGriffiths, General Manager at Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed comment about Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel and Spa and sharing this on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to hear you were delighted with the hotel facilities, equipment and design and that you have overall enjoyed your stay with us. Our prime focus is to provide efficient, warm and friendly service to all our guests and you mention about these services is very encouraging for the entire team.

I appreciate your comments on the Spa. We are currently considering changes in the access procedure for our in house guests. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience with the missing bottle opener in the room as well as the lukewarm water in your Jacuzzi as well for the little misunderstanding with the egg preparation as well as with the newspapers. Thank you for bringing all these details in my attention. I have passed all your comments with the management team to make immediate corrective action to make sure your next stay with us is perfect.

Once again, thank you very much for taking your time and post your review on Tripadvisor. I am looking forward to welcome you back at the Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel and Spa on your next return to Kuwait.

Yours sincerely
Safwa, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this new hotel for three nights on Eid Holiday, it was amazing !! Loved the place so much ! The hotel is a piece of art , stunning interiors in the lobby and its surroundings , rooms are clean and got enough space too. Because it was Eid, we had breakfast in the enormous Badria Hall which was a plus too with so much food to choose from. My only note to the hotel management and I understand this would happen all the time, and because it was Eid, it took me around 20-30 minutes just to get into the hotel to check in, there were at least 30 cars ahead of me and they were moving slow , so better be prepared for such active occasions in the future.

• Stayed August 2013
MarkGriffiths, General Manager at Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback and recommending us on the Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that you loved the hotel design and its surroundings. I am very glad you have been excited with our delicious breakfast buffet. We are very proud on our Badriah ballroom and I think it was a good idea to give our guests a chance to enjoy their breakfast in this stunning place during the EID holidays.

Thank you as well for your note about long time to arrive to the hotel. It really has been extremely busy period with many guest arriving at the same time. We are currently working on options that would prevent any queues upon arrival to the hotel during busy period in the future.

Once again thank you for your valuable comments and sharing your review on Tripadvisor and looking forward to host you again at our amazing property in the near future.

Yours sincerely,
Bahrain
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We heard that the Jumeirah finally opened and went with some friends for a weekend. Nice setting overall – a bit crowded when we were there. We had one of the chalets - liked it a lot. Awesome pools and outdoor area. Had a good evening at the Pool Café – nice view and good food – after to the Kuwaiti Café near the lobby for Shisha – top. Next day we had Dinner at the Meathouse – packed but if you eat there you know why – best beef. General very friendly hotel staff – better than other places in town.

Room Tip: chalets are nice
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your excellent feedback from your recent stay at the Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel and Spa. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with in this very busy period and the fact you mentioned about friendliness of the staff is very encouraging and great pride for the entire team. I am glad you liked the Mint restaurant next to the pool as well as Arabesque Kuwaiti Café and I am very pleased with your comment on Pepper restaurant, which had so quickly found its shining place among customers in Kuwait.

Once again thank you taking your time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I have shared your comments with all our staff members and they are equally happy that you had a brilliant holiday with us and looking forward welcoming you back at Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel and Spa.

Yours Sincerely,
München
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I spent a great weekend with my wife over Eid. The Pool and Beach is wonderful. The room was comfortable and we had a nice view. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I think they have the best breakfast buffet in Kuwait - unfortunately it was too hot to sit on the terrace but this must be great after the summer months. The Seafood restaurant was not open yet but we had a wonderful evening the in the Steakhouse Restaurant – not easy to get a reservation as it seems very popular. The Spa is also not open yet but they told us it will open in September. Overall we finally found our hideaway in Kuwait.

Room Tip: ask for Garden or Sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
MarkGriffiths, General Manager at Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback following your recent stay at the Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel and Spa and recommending us on TripAdvisor.

It is always a pleasure to learn that we are delivering the high level of customer service that Jumeirah is renowned for. I appreciate your comment on our breakfast buffet as well as on the Pepper restaurant, which really is a favorite place among our customers. We are currently finalizing opening of the Spa, and I will be pleased to welcome you back in the near future to enjoy the great treatments and products we will be providing.

Thank you again very much for your warm words. We will do our best to become not only a hideaway, but your home away from home.

Yours Sincerely
Bristol
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My wife and I stayed with one of our daughters for a few days at the beginning of June. The hotel had just opened and as is mentioned below, they were inundated not only with guests but also with locals trying to come in and use the facilities. This had a necessary effect on the level of security and checking e.g. to access the pool area, however it was not too obtrusive.

We found Mark Griffiths the perfect host, he was often to be seen in the reception area ensuring that guests were happy and given the hotel had only just opened, he was remarkably calm. In general the staff were good or excellent quality. There were a couple of issues which do not warrant a mention here as they were resolved quickly and efficiently.

The food, from breakfast, to the pool restaurant, to in-room dining, to Pepper the steak restaurant, was simply top class throughout. We have visited the Jumeirah hotels in Dubai many times and Messilah Beach was no different.

It was a pity the spa was not open at that time as it looks fantastic but we will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank undercovermoles
MarkGriffiths, General Manager at Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your great feedback following your recent stay at Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel and Spa and for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay, and thank you for acknowledgment of the dining quality at Mint and Pepper restaurants as well as high level of customer service provided by our team of incredible colleagues. It is always a great motivator for our colleagues to receive such compliments, and I was pleased to share your comments with our exceptional team.

I appreciate your recognition of our beautiful Spa. It really is an outstanding product on the market and I am sure you will enjoy our amazing treatments during your next visit.

Once again, thank you very much for your comments and looking forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

Great hotel... Very opulent from the time you enter... The hotel is new and looks in great shape. The rooms are fabulous... Very modern... Beds are out of the world... Restaurants not all are open but the pepper steakhouse is simply wonderful... Only if we could have alcohol with the steaks :) mint is perfect for a poolside lunch.. Garden cafe breakfast is amazing... And the best part is complimentary airport transfers in an Audi A8... Wow that was the icing on the cake.

• Stayed July 2013
MarkGriffiths, General Manager at Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Dear Guest

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay, from the room quality to dining at Mint and Pepper restaurants and have shared your compliments with the entire team. It is always a great motivator for our colleagues to receive such compliments.

Once again thank you very much for your comments on TripAdvisor. On behalf on the entire team at Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Kuwait.

Best regards