“Fire alarm - no guiding - no signs”

Le Royal Tower Hotel
Ranked #19 of 70 Hotels in Kuwait City
Reviewed 13 December 2010

Not a lot good to mention. First of all there was a fire alarm one night /early morning however no emplyoees to guide the guests - and no signs on the stairway beoynd 1st floor to show the exit. So the guest were running up and down the stairs, but doors were locked and exit very difficult to find. Finally we had to re-enter the building on 1st floor go through Restaurent and down stairs to the lobby - finally to get outside the building. Guests were standing outside hotel not knowing what was going on - and staff did not inform/assist/guide at any point until we went inside again and asked them to go out and inform guests. Luckily it turned out there was no fire. No manager present - nor the next day. Apart from this unpleasant incident the staff was not very service minded, problems with WIFI/Internet, problems connecting calls, some staff seemed very lazy - not cleaning lobby tables even though we had been there for several hours working, also some staff were more busy making private calls on mobile standing in the reception right in front of us - and when we asked for assistance, and they forgot all about us. Good: Rooms clean, Bed okay, Restaurent staff were polite and very service minded.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Tinkof

Reviewed 6 June 2010

I stayed at Le Meridien for 4 nights while on a business trip. It is in a busy commemrcial area by a bus stop and a Kentucky Fried Chicken drive-through--the driver had some difficulty finding the entrance. The outside of the hotel does not reflect how nice it is inside. There is a small comfortable lobby with wifi and a pretty cascading fountain with multiple glass bowls. The elevators are glass so that you have a wonderful view of the city as you go up to your room. I had a corner room on the 10th floor that had views of the water (and buildings in between). The room was large with a king sized bed and lighted decorative headboard, a divan, small desk and chair, plasma TV, small refrigerator, and safe. The bathroom is also large with a multi-head shower. There is a cable for a computer hook-up (no wifi in rooms). The hotel also provided an electric tea kettle with coffee and tea and bottled water daily.

The hotel restaurant is on the second floor in an open seating area. Breakfast was a buffett with many juices, fruits, cereals, breads and rolls, and hot egg and meat dishes; you can also order eggs from the chef. Both the lunch and dinner menus offered an array of vegetarian, fish, chicken, and meat selections with a number of side dishes. I did not try the small gym or pool.

Within walking distance of the hotel is a range of shopping, from small inexpensive shops to a big center with very high-end brands and access from the Marriott.

Pro: Overall, it was a very enjoyable stay. The hotel was very nicely decorated and always spotless. Service was generally excellent, from the front desk staff to the wait staff in the restaurant. Given the busy area where it was located, the hotel was also very quiet. The food was good and plentiful at each meal.

Con: The lighting was not sufficient for working at the desk or even reading in bed. The hot water in the shower was uneven; one evening there was none. The large, glassed-in shower is the awkward kind where the door and faucet are at opposite ends, so you have to enter the shower to turn it on and you get hit with cold water. I also did not get a requested wake-up call my last morning.

I would stay there again and would recommend it for business and family travelers.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I checked into the hotel and they didn't have my reservation from hotels.com that I booked on the same day. They immediately fixed the problem and offered me an orange juice drink. I entered my room and it was very nice. It had an LCD tv with views of the beach and lots of buildings. The bed was very comfortable along with the furnishings. I probably asked a million questions to the reception, but they answered them as honestly as possible and provided a driver to take me to the Avenues mall downtown. It was an Audi A6 and it cost 5 dinar one way. The driver stated that he could give me a tour of Kuwait for 6 hours at 30 dinar. I declined and went to eat at the mall, go bowling, and catch a movie.

After the movie, I caught a cab back to the hotel. The turn down service consisted of a plate of fruit, which I didn't expect. I decided to roam around the hotel after returning from the mall. The area surrounding the hotel was kind of sketchy at first, due to so many different nationalities in open air markets. I went to the mall behind the hotel and it was ok, but didn't purchase anything. Across the street they have another market which I bought some knockoff purses, wallets, watches, etc. I also asked the merchant where to eat and he guided me to the second floor to a Chinese restaurant that was so delicious. It was really good deal and I actually ordered too much food that I couldn't finish it all. I brought it back to the room and put it in the fridge, but realized I didn't have a microwave and had to throw my leftovers out.

The only downside to my experience was a party going on either a floor below or above mine. I am not sure what was going on, but eventually I went to sleep and everything was fine. I worked out in the morning in their small gym. I wish they had free weights, but they had machines and a treadmill which was adequate. I asked for a late checkout since my flight was at midnight and they offered to let me stay in the room until 4 PM. I used the free wi-fi (free wifi in the rooms as well and it is fast) in the lobby during my time in between transport. I ate dinner at the restaurant on the second floor, which was good for steak with lots of sides, but pricey $50. I actually asked the reception of a good place to eat in the area, but he could only recommend the restaurant upstairs, completely understandable. I coordinated with the front desk for airport transfer in their company car a Chrysler 300, which was very comfortable. Overall a good experience, very attentive staff, and good place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 January 2010

My wife and I went to Kuwait City for a one night getaway and chose to stay at Le Meridien Kuwait Tower based on reviews we had seen online. All in all, the hotel was quite nice. It had a charming decor and theme, the staff were friendly and certainly tried hard to be as helpful as possible. The location of the hotel is a little inconvenient as you have to navigate your way through a very busy bus terminal to reach it, but I wouldn't let that deter me from returning.

The room was spotless and modern. The bathroom facillities were more than adequate and also very very clean. The included breakfast was O.K., but left something to be desired I would say.

Overall, I would certainly recomment this as a fantastic place to stay for business or pleasure if you ever find yourself in Kuwait City.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cbellman1830
Reviewed 28 January 2010

Stayed for just one night on a business trip. Good hotel, reasonable rates, excellent staff, etc, etc. I really have no complaints.
I had told the hotel I would be arriving very late (past midnight) restaurant was closed already but the full menu was available by room service.
Room was a King double, very clean & comfortable, bathroom & shower were spotless also. Hotel also provided a car to & from the airport.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 January 2010

Stayed here two nights in December, and enjoyed it immensely. The rooms are very comfortable and clean, with a convenient location (near a bus terminal and within walking distance of most of central Kuwait.) Lots of good restaurants in the area, too (including within the hotel.)

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 January 2010

Loved this hotel! Located downtown in the business district. Hotel sent a free luxurious car with a nice driver to pick us up and take us to the airport and greeted us with glasses of freshly squeezed orange juice. Spotless room, terrific view, wonderful staff. Going up to the room in the elevator was like being in a glass box, wonderful view of the city. Fun! Great TV in the room. All rooms have free internet access, just hook up your laptop using their cable. Not wireless. Breakfast was nice. Only negative thing to say is that the hotel did not pass along our messages. When our friends called, they were told that we checked out when in fact we were upstairs still sleeping . Lesson learned: always check with front desk for messages. Having said, this negative flaw will not keep us from staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple