“Nice Hotel, in an unpleasant location”

Golden Tulip Serenada Hotel Hamra
Ranked #51 of 117 Hotels in Beirut
Cairo, Egypt.
“Nice Hotel, in an unpleasant location”
Reviewed 21 December 2010

I found this Hotel Very Nice and descent . Very well decorated, staff was very helpful and friendly. The rooms are spacious, modern , with a very nice Large LCD TV, Toilet is small but very well equipped. Safe in the closet, Bathrobe, shoe shine sponge. Breakfast was great with lots of choices, We had 1 room service dinner ....the food was really bad, and tasteless, but on the second night we had dinner at the restaurant and was really awesome. Hamra used to be a very nice area, which I found it not like that at all, the area is too crowded , jammed cars everywhere, middle class residential area with nothing attractive around. The Hotel is centrally located and Good for Business more than Leisure.
Internet with a fee , and the staff are not very well informed with the Internet system and how do they charge it. All in All it was a very nice break in Beirut.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 6 December 2010

We booked our room through www.hrs.com and got a very good deal. We arrived late at night and the staff were very friendly. We had requested a non smoking room even though my husband smokes as we'd read in some reviews that the smoking rooms smelt very bad. The receptionist explained that they had no non smoking rooms available and to compensate they upgraded us to a suite! It was an amazing room with 3 balconies and 2 TV's. It was spotless, especially the bathroom was cleaner than most homes I have been to! We were on the 5t floor (room 506) and had no problem with noise either from the street or from the weddings downstairs (there was one on 2 nights out of 3 that we stayed). The location is very easy to find and within a few metres away from some restaurants and bars. The staff were all helpful, I didn't think they didn't smile enough as some previous reviews said but I did ask one girl to call the taxi company which I'd booked our airport transfer with and confirm the time but she said they couldn't do it. It would have been helpful if they had but I can understand them not wanting to as they work with another taxi company. The free Wifi was good with great signal in the room and was very helpful.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2010

We stayed for 10 nights at the Golden Tulip Serenada as we were visiting my parents in Beirut and had been recommended it because of it's location (actually my dad had recommended the Casa D'or but didn't listen to him as usual!!).

The hotel itself is in a good location in Hamra which is a great part of the city to stay in. The rooms were a good size and clean as was the bathroom.

I got the room at a special rate so it was pretty good value.

The downsides to the hotel are that staff (particularly front of house and in the breakfast room) were not that helpful and as another reviewer said didn't smile much. It felt like everything was too much trouble for them no matter what it was. One example was my partner asking for a towel for the pool to which he was told that it was going to rain later (at the time it was still around 30 degrees and sunny) and had to argue until he got one.

The pool unfortunately is another of this hotels minus points. I don't think the management realise what they have there - however small it is, it is after all a rooftop pool in the middle of Hamra and when it's hot it's the perfect place for guests to go if they want to cool down. There seemed to be a cut off date after which point "summer is over" when they empty the pool and take away all of the sun loungers. I understand that this is necessary when the weather is forecast to be bad for a long period of time, but when the weather is still in the high 20s out there and sunny I feel sorry for those guests that book the hotel thinking that it has a pool and then being disappointed. We were fortunate that it only shut a day before we left (8th October).

As the reviewer before said, the rooms could do with a freshen up as they are already starting to look tired.

All in all, this hotel could be so much better, it just needs the management to wake up and realise what they have!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 October 2010

We managed to stay at this hotel at a massively discounted price so it was ok but if I had have paid full fair I would have been very annoyed.

When we arrived the location was amazing and the building looked incredibly grand from both the outside and in. However the room, although clean, desperately needed refurbishing with scratches on all wood work and chairs and marks on the walls. There were no tea making facilities in the room either with room service for tea being timely, costly, and often arrived without milk or sugar.

The house keeping came every day but, after I had accidentally spilt coffee on the bed, instead of changing the sheets they merely turned the duvet over and made the bed... meaning that the coffee then seeped through and stained the bottom sheet as well making the bed horrible to sleep in.

The breakfast was unimpressive, if not distasteful, with awful service and the bar and pool on the roof was nothing more then an empty pool and no sign of any other life.

All in all if you are only paying half price then this hotel is just about ok, as the location really is so great, however I would advise against paying full price to stay here.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
South Pole
Reviewed 11 September 2010

Nice hotel, good location in Hamra. The promotional rate was very competitive compared to other properties in this category particularly as it included airport transfers. The actual transfer was odd as I essentially got put into a taxi who then expected me to pay – I sent them to the reception desk who wrote them a voucher (i.e. I didn’t pay). The hotel exterior and interior look nice and the staff are reasonably friendly although they don’t smile much. The reception staff do seem to place their preference on answering the phones rather than speaking with you which gets *very* annoying, particularly when you’re mid-way through a face-to-face discussion with them and the phone rings (as they just jump straight onto the phone instead). Trying to get tourist information thereby takes at lot longer than it should which isn't good when your in a hurry. I also got locked into my room when it came to checkout - had to get someone to take the lock apart so I could get out. Breakfast was nice - reasonable selection of hot and cold foods, good for vegetarians too.
The swimming pool is a nice addition - it's small but I had it to myself during my time. The roof top area could do with a bit of work on it's aesthetics - there isn't a changing room so you have to use the shower and some of the store rooms in the area are open and plain to see which shows they're a mess.
The rooms are nice with a little balcony too (although it's a bit hot out there) - the bathroom was clean and the shower was mould free (I've only been to few hotels that were 100% mould free).
It's a good place to stay if you get a promotional rate ($99 USD inc Tax and Inc Breakfast and Airport transfers per night - note that taxi's from the airport are otherwise $25 USD}, but if it was much more I would have to look at alternatives.
Final point: the rooms have no clocks so if you arrive late at night, it's best to ensure you adjust your watch before you get to your room otherwise you won't know when to wake up and may miss your breakfast.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 12 June 2010

Lovely hotel with really nice people. My only issue was the road noise. I am not a light sleeper, so for me to mention road noise, you should believe it! Specifically request either rooms with a 10 or higher on the end (like 311, 413, 514, etc.). The rooms on any given floor with single digit endings (203, etc.) will require ear plugs day and night. Once you are in one of those rooms, they are hesitant to let you move to another room. It took me three sleepless nights before I put my foot down said "move me or I leave" and VOILA! a room appeared. Don't take such a room, or if you end up in one - be insistent to move.

Right in the middleo f the Hamra area with shops and restaurants which was nice and convienient. Very clean, great breakfast! Strangely, the room service menu (and the food that came via room service) was much better than the restaurant. I was really uzzled why what you can get via room service is so different than what you can get in the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Fitzgig
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 June 2010

Nice hotel. Small swimming pool on roof top, which serves its purpose. Breakfasts are good. I would just recommend you ask for a room in the high floors, to avoid the noise from the street and the music from the parties they organize in the mezzanine of the hotel (marriages and the like).

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business