“could be better...!”
Review of Le Gray Beirut

Le Gray Beirut
Ranked #1 of 113 Hotels in Beirut
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I stayed four nights in this hotel in December, 2010. Location, building material, colors, and simplicity was amazing although at that time the hotel was not completely finished. There was some work being done to the atrium, second floor, and side entrance. People including concierge, door security, and housekeeping were polite and helpful. Breakfast at rooftop was breathtaking in terms of view and selection. I felt the hotel was a bit overprice for what it had to offer, but this is Beirut. Management and reception were bait indifferent to customer service as they never extend a had when they see you wondering around. Would advise the hotel management to get some experience or develop expertise in guest relations and worry bait more about their clients if they want this hotel to be a real boutique.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SaudiArabiaPrince
Christophe H, General Manager at Le Gray Beirut, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2012

Dear SaudiArabiaPrince,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor. I am glad to know you loved our architecture, location, and enjoyed breakfast on our roof top.

With regards to the indifference of our staff, please accept our sincere apologies. Kindly feel free to contact me directly at your convenience, by email at christophehazebrouck@legray.com to further discuss your concerns as your feedback is extremely important to us. Service rendered to our guests is key for us and I am pleased to report that we have come a long way since your stay to ensure consistency in service delivery.

I sincerely hope you give us a chance to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

I actually stayed in the hotel for a week . It was really a nice place , very clean and the room were amazing . A very nice view of downtown , a clean and nice toilet , a comfortable bed with a nice for at screen tv. Room service 24 hrs with very nice food .Pricing was ok but you won't regret a minute of your stay in your hotel. I took a single room , the pool had an extraordinary view although I couldn't swim because of rain . Restaurants very nice especially a restaurant name "Indigo" which includes international cuisine , the food is so amazing and cleanness was good .You shouldn't miss the spa and gym . Bar 360 with an extraordinary view of downtown . Cigar lounge with with some nice snacks . Really le Grau is the best hotel in Lebanon. The staff is good and friendly and welcome you anytime.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank AliShour
Christophe H, General Manager at Le Gray Beirut, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2012

Dear AliShour,

Greetings from Le Gray!

First may I take the opportunity to wish you a joyful, healthy and prosperous New Year!
Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to put such a great and detailed review on trip advisor.
I am thrilled to know you have enjoyed the comfort of our rooms and the taste of our dishes served in our restaurants & bars. You are right when pointing out PureGray, our gym and spa, which is becoming a must place to relax and workout when visiting Lebanon.
Most of all, I am glad our employees’ efforts did not go unnoticed. They will surely appreciate your comments, another encouragement for all of us to know we are on the right track when it comes to the guest experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Le Gray in the near future.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

Found it on the internet and I was very happy for my selection.
In the centre of the city, you can walk everywhere from the hotel, great service.
we were there for christmas holidays.
Nice bar on the 6th floor and the outdoor swimming pool on the same floor offers you something exceptional.
The only bad part is that when we tried to visit the bar on the second night they told us that it was full and there was no place to seat despite the fact that we were Hotel residents and we had a suite.

Other than that I will choose it again in case of visiting Beirut

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear MariosG,

Greetings from Beirut !

May I take this opportunity to wish you a joyful, healthy and prosperous New Year 2012.
Thank you for staying with us back in December and for taking the time to post your admirable feedback on trip advisor.
I am very happy you have chosen Le Gray for your recent stay in Beirut and thrilled to know we helped making your Christmas holiday in Beirut an enjoyable one!
Please accept my sincere apologies for the unavailability of the bar on the night you wished to enjoy a drink there. This tells me we have not done everything possible to accommodate you and we should find a way to always reserve a table or two for our in-house guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Le Gray in the near future and share a drink together at Bar ThreeSixty.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

my one day trip to Beirut turned to be a horrible experience because of the bad management of this hotel and their indifference about customer experience. on that one night, we came back at 11 pm and found out that the room next to us which is a big suite was booked for a bunch of people who were partying in the room! the sound of the music was too high for a respected hotel, and the sounds of the people shouting and cursing makes you feel that you are in a hotel with no stars at all...so, what was the reaction of the poor management of the hotel? i called several times and every time they tell me "we will go and speak to them", and every time, the noise becomes higher and higher...no single apology was given to me while i was on the line, only promises to talk to this people...i am assuming and i bet my assumption is right, that the people who booked the room were VIPs and the hotel manager did not want to upset them..it was very clear and obvious that the hotel manager did not bother to fix the problem simply because he was afraid to approach those people. for me, and for the amount of money i paid to spend a night in this hotel, i would expect a professional hotel to treat people equally...
what i have witnessed was bad enough that i am not being really able to express it in this humble review,,we stayed awake till 7 am when the people in that room decided to sleep or perhaps left the suite. our flight was at 11 am so we had to check out at 9 am, and guess what, none of them had the intention to bring the subject, until i was asked if "my stay was as expected", this is when i burst out with and they had to call the manager who offered me an upgrade in my next visit....really??!!! what makes you think that i would be coming back again to you!!! to be honest, i thought and was expecting from them a sincere apology, and perhaps a waiver of the room fees since they were not able to do a thing that night! and the funniest part was the manager's response saying : " we are sorry, the hotel was fully booked, otherwise we would have moved you to another room". say that again??? at 11 pm?? moving us?? is that the way you solve a problem?
in summary, avoid this hotel, despite that we were amazed by the design, but the service is nothing but poor.
please keep the upgrade for you, what i am going to do instead is to spread how awful this hotel is!
for those of you who are not sure whether to choose le gray or four seasons, go to four seasons without any hesitation.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank haneen76
Christophe H, General Manager at Le Gray Beirut, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

Dear Haneen76,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing with us your comments.

Further to our separate discussion, please allow me to express my sincere apologies once again for letting you down on the level of service provided. What you experienced is totally unacceptable and we have already taken steps to ensure that this does not happen again.

May I take this opportunity to wish you a beautiful new year filled with peace and gladness.
I look forward to having the opportunity to restore your confidence in Le Gray in 2012.

Reviewed 6 December 2011

I am writing this review quite late as I havent had the time, along with a few other hotel reviews I have just posted in other countries, I save the best to last, this one!

Le Gray is suppose to be the new uber chic hotel of Beirut, well let me say first , it is not!!!
there are some brilliant aspects to the hotel, like the bathrooms, and location, but thats it. it ends there.

I will explain why.

1. The tv in my room would not switch over easily from dvd back to normal tv, I had to call twice to get this resolved.

2. The security staff at the entrance are arrogant and unfreindly, made me feel like I was entering a prison each time.

3. Restaruant service terrible, I dined alone on one occasion and hardly got any service attention. Food was not cooked to my specification, although the waiter was aware of this. Drinks came late twice and even the manager had to intervene about why I hadnt received my drink. I felt that as I was dining alone the waiters felt that it was not neccessary to be attentive towards me. Thats not the kind of feeling a customer should be given.

4. Room service menu is slightly different to what they send to your room, I was not impressed that they also send an ice cream dessert with your main meal, a top end hotel and restaurant should know that ice cream would melt by the time main meal has finished. Lack of common sense there.

5. I used the spa on a few occasions, and had two massages, both times the massage therapist was continuosly making conversation during the treatment, which was so annoying, I wanted to relax however as I didnt want to come accross as being rude, I had to converse to the extent that I didnt even realise I was having a massage. It seemed as though Ii was paying for an hour of talking about myself, what I do in London etc etc. This was so annoying, this also had dissuaded me having further treatments.

6. On arrivial I was not asked how my flight was or how I was, only aksed for my passport and deposit. I wasnt even told of what the hotel had to offer in terms of spa, restaurant etc. A hotel or any business where a customer is paying should be sold to them, on this occasion Le Gray wasnt selling itself.

7. Terrible sound insulation, you can hear the constant noise/traffic outside

8. NOW WAIT FOR IT.
I did write down my comments and left this in my hotel room when checking out, I was expecting a email or courtesy phone call from the manager or whoever deals with the comments, but I didnt get any response. I didnt take the matter further at the time as I was having surgery, but thought I would point this out to other readers.

I live and work in London and suprisinlgly do not work far from the Campbell Gray head office in the Strand-London, as a result I would be writing a letter to them about my experience.

I have stayed at most of the top end hotels in Beirut and many others worldwide. Beirut definatly has better options, Pheonicia Intercontinental and Four Seasons Beirut are much better in terms of service and value.

I felt that I had to write my honest review of this hotel as reading others made me ask myself was I the only one to experience these faults or are others just not that bothered in the service they recieve.

When paying good money for an executive suite room I expect the best, especially from a so called top end hotel. I was totally dissapointed and wish I had contacted the general manager about all my issues, however due to other urgent commitments I didnt.

I believe that all the faults I experienced definatly have compromised the integrity of Le Gray Beirut.

I come to Beirut often and will not consider Le Gray again, neither would I reccomend it to friends and family, instead there are other top end hotels that are worth my time and money.

Some good points of the hotel:

1. Bathrooms
2. Location
3. Size of room
4. Free Wi-Fi
thats it!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
11  Thank Moosa_30
Christophe H, General Manager at Le Gray Beirut, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2011

Dear Moosa_30,

Thank you for staying with us in October 2010 last year and for taking the time to share with us your comments.

Further to the separate letter sent to you by CampbellGray Hotels, please accept our apologies for letting you down on the level of service provided. We are conducting regular service audit checks and we have addressed all issues which were raised during your stay with us last year.

We are eager to restore the lost confidence and hope you will be returning to Beirut in the near future so that you can measure the improvement of our service since your stay.

Thank you for your valuable feedback. May we take this opportunity to wish you a very happy Festive Season.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

overpriced compared to most other 5 star hotels in the city and not as luxurious. The service could have been better. The food was very nice though. There's always lots of traffic and noise around the hotel but its in the down town area so its normal.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Abdulla A
LeGrayBeirut, General Manager at Le Gray Beirut, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Dear Abdulla A,

Thank you for choosing Le Gray for your recent stay in Beirut and for taking the time to share with us your comments.

I am sorry that your experience at le Gray did not meet your expectations even though you enjoyed our restaurants; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
I would really appreciate if you could contact me directly on my email: christophehazebrouck@legray.com to further discuss your concerns, in particular how can we improve our general services.

I hope to have the opportunity to restore your confidence in Le Gray Beirut. Thank you.

Reviewed 22 November 2011

Le Gray is expensive but lovely with beautiful rooms, excellent service and wonderful facilities. So why only nearly flawless? Well, the bar has wonderful 360 degree views but the night we were there a truly terrible lounge singer ruined the atmosphere. What could be a classy cocktail bar like the best rooftop bars in Manhattan is rather tacky. But when the only one other flaw is the fact that the espresso cups for the in-room coffee maker are slightly too small, well, you know you're in a classy joint.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ap T

Dear AP- Trip,

Thank you for choosing Le Gray for your recent stay in Beirut and for taking the time to post your comment on trip advisor.
I am pleased to see you loved our rooms, spa, restaurants and bars, and that our friendly staff helped to make your stay a memorable one.
I hope you could contact me directly on my email: Christophehazebrouck@legray.com to further discuss the Lounge singer at Bar Three Sixty as we do try to please all our guests by choosing the best singers in town for our Bar entertainment program.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Le Gray.