“Outstanding”
Review of Le Gray Beirut

Le Gray Beirut
Ranked #1 of 116 Hotels in Beirut
Reviewed 1 September 2010

This hotel is without a doubt, outstanding. The staff are more than attentive, the premises are beautiful. I had an exectuitve suite which was lavish. Very very clean hotel. The restaurant on the roof was great. I would not stay anywhere else if traveling to Beirut again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank byairbysea

Reviewed 25 August 2010

After years of browsing on this website, I decided that it was time to begin writing my own reviews; I could not think of a better way to start than with my thoughts on Le Gray. I have stayed at hundreds of different hotels and can comfortably say that this one ranks among the top 10.

I don't know when the hotel was inaugurated, but I would guess that is wasn't more than a few months ago. Too often I am forced to choose among brand-new hotels with hit-or-miss service, or alternatively established - but often old - structures with outstanding service. Le Gray has both qualities: it is brand new, wonderful, and overall delivers outstanding attention to its guests (with just few minor glitches). It is very difficult to find a hotel with very "cool" and "hip" style, with 5-star service.

I was staying in an Executive Terrace suite, which in reality is more of a very large room (with terrace, obviously). The decor is very nice: lots of stone, marble, chrome elements... all delivering a very modern but also warm feeling (I am bored of minimalistic ultra-cold hotels). The bed is very comfortable (it felt rather similar to Starwood's Heavenly Bed) and the bathroom extremely spacious, all in dark stone (large bathtub, separate toilet with bidet and separate shower).

The sixth floor is extremely enjoyable, with a cigar lounge (both inside and outside areas), a swimming pool with bar and an amazing restaurant. I warmly suggest to have at least one or two meals at the proper restaurant; I went for lunch twice and was really surprised by the quality of the food. The wine list is also impressive (and there is a beautiful glass and chrome cellar in the middle of the restaurant).

As previously mentioned, I was impressed by the service. All members of staff were very attentive and ready to take care of any need. Just to mention a few examples: ordered a bucket of ice in the room, arrived in no more than three minutes; walked down to reception and on several occasion I asked to be driven to various restaurants: the hotel car was ready in about 2 minutes. A special praise goes to the waiter at the bar on the 7th floor: I went there with 4 friends on one night to have a quick pre-dinner drink (we stayed there about 20 minutes). We went back the day after and the waiter remembered all our 5 different choices from the day before; it's the kind of small detail that sets the difference between a good and an excellent hotel.

My only negative comment is related to the pool area. There are only about 12 sunbeds, which is simply ridiculous for a hotel of this size. Also, it is located on the East-ish side of the hotel, so it didn't get any sun after mid-afternoon!

I had a few other friends staying in other places, such as the Intercontinental Phoenicia and the new Four Seasons. I spent some time in these hotels and, based on my personal impressions, Le Gray is one step above. It probably doesn't cater for an overly "quiet" and conventional clientele (ie: I wouldn't recommend it to an old couple that just wants to stay in the hotel and rest), but according on my tastes and from what I've seen it is undoubdtedly the best in Beirut.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We chose Le Gray after reading a number of reviews and articles. Our expectations were consequently set very high - but Le Gray met and exceeded. The modern decor is neutral with a twist, the rooms surprisingly spacious for a city hotel, and the facilities are exceptional (pool, restaurants, rooftop bar). What really blew us away however was the service - everyone from the night manager (who greeted us when we arrived at the hotel from the airport, having landed at 5am, gave us a tour of the property and made sure we were fed and entertained for the couple of hours before our rooms were ready), to the maids, to a front desk employee who more than once walked us to a club nearby to ensure we got in without hassle. Special mention to the absolutely fabulous and incredibly pro-active concierge Lisa, whose recommendations were always spot-on and always managed to get us into the bars we wanted.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Beautifully appointed, great location, impeccable service, incredible room, stylishly run restaurants and bars, as dear as poison and thoroughly recommend it. We're saving up to go back.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2010

This hotel is honestly an oasis of amazingness in the centre of a chaotic but beautiful city!

There is something incredibly civilised and sophisticated about this hotel...and the staff could not have been more helpful! The rooms were spacious and very clean.

The rooftop was a great place for a pre-dinner drink, although one would have imagined that there might have been more of a buzz up there :(

Undoubtedly the new hottest hotel in Beirut! Cannot wait to go back...

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Finally I had the chance to visit Legray hotel,
A breathtaking hotel in the Middle Eastern gem Beirut, the personal touch of Mr. Campbell Gray the hotel owner is everywhere , a ultra modern decoration that looks like no other hotel. The receptionist told me that Mr. gray likes to build his hotel where he likes to wake up,and you can find him always in the hotel having his coffee or just hanging a frame on the wall ;so during my stay at the hotel I was haunted by the idea of meeting him, but unfortunately I couldn’t identify his picture with any person in the hotel.
I am a Lebanese and Beirut is for me the place to be ,to live ,to breath ,and Legray Hotel gave Beirut a new horizon of modernity , and extreme hospitality .
Le Gray hotel looks like Beirut , genuine ,modern, western ,oriental , peaceful ,rebellion, but mostly vital and magical .
The location is perfect in Down Town Beirut, within walking distance from major landmarks .The highlight of this hotel is the roof top Bar and the swimming pool ,with a stunning view.
I was telling my friend about the hotel pool , I told him in a funny way that if you swim left ,you’ll see the Grand Mosque Al Amin , if you swim right you will find the Martyr square , and if you swim directly you’ll see Al Nahar building.
The rooms are spacious , modern with oriental touch of the ceiling , and a TV in the toilet ( I like it ),and when you enter your room ,a welcome note is hand written by the hotel manager with a basket of fruit everyday ,usually apples(I told them , that they should put the fruits of the seasons and not apples ,they answered me that the apples or the big fruits go with the decoration………)
Finally this hotel is a dream made true by his owner , and Beirut is welcoming every dreamer ………….
RANA TANISSA(LEBANON)

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2010

- very well-located in the middle of the renovated solidere area and within walking distance of the new beirut souks and the facilities of solidere/centre ville.
- noisy intersection at the entrance of this hotel is a bit of a pain although you dont feel it once you're inside.
- the modern styling is a bit clinical albeit classy. a tad more character in the rooms would have been nice.
- the service is exemplary with courteous staff and swift assistance when needed.
- rooftop pool is lovely with an infinity edge and a nice cafe attached. there are about ten to fifteen pool chairs so it could get full at times.
- the rooftop restaurant Aqua is a great place for breakfast and dinner.
- price is a bit on the high end but better value than the phoenicia intercontinental and other similar hotels.
- i personally like the styling and seclusion of the albergo in achrafieh more but this is a welcome change especially considering that the albergo is often full.
- the internet was a major flaw in my opinion. it was free and maybe that's the reason it was extremely SLOW most times. this needs to be fixed.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends