“lovely hotel with very rough edges”
Review of Le Gray Beirut

Le Gray Beirut
Ranked #1 of 116 Hotels in Beirut
Reviewed 15 October 2010

- operator takes forever to answer phone. turns out there's just one for 87 rooms!
- rooftop restaurant Indigo is great for dinner
- traffic din of hotel's corner location in Solidere district can get annoying. try to get a room off the main thoroughfare.
- wifi continues to be slow and patchy with no more than 200Kb download at the best of times. it's complimentary at least bit I'd rather pay for faster speeds.
- wifi keeps asking for login too often. annoying.
- rooms vary based on location, configuration so make sure to check if you're particular about things like getting a usable terrace vs. standing room only.
- staff has a well earned reputation for courtesy and friendliness.
- pool is nice but sundeck only has about 10 beds.

• Stayed: November 2009

Reviewed 28 September 2010

Le Gray is in the top 10 of hotels in the world we have stayed in.

It is an expensive hotel, but you pay for what you get.

The executive suite on the second floor was excellent and roomy and the roof top pool is awesome.

The service was excellent and the concierge advice as to what to do and where to eat was superb, particularly from Lisa.

We hired a hotel car for trips around Lebanon, which was very expensive, but an excellent way to see the country. Riad, one of the drivers deserves a particular mention.

It is correct that the traffic outside of the hotel is non stop 24 hours a day, but we actually opened our windows and watched Beirut pass us by.

A must for any visitor to Beirut is the 5 hour walking tour organised by Ronnie (website www.bebeirut.org). One of the most fascinating and well done tours we have ever taken anywhere.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hebtourist
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I stayed at Le Gray after reading all the reviews here and recommendations from friends and I wasn't dissapointed. Although the reception area feels small for the hotel, once you take the lifts upstairs you realize it's a great hotel. I stayed in a executive suite with a terrace, it was very comfortable although I prefer more modern furnishing. The bed was fantastic and i loved the shower area too. I ate at the main restaurant and the cafe by the pool and the food was fantastic both times, the salad nicoise is outstanding. And the free wi-fi and water was another big plus

On the negative side it has to be the pool area. The pool is modern and cool but there are only about ten chairs...and the sun disappears after 3pm. So this is not a place to hang around. And the speakers in the pool area really need a good repair! Also, the breakfast was slightly dissapointing.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LD73
Reviewed 1 September 2010

This hotel is without a doubt, outstanding. The staff are more than attentive, the premises are beautiful. I had an exectuitve suite which was lavish. Very very clean hotel. The restaurant on the roof was great. I would not stay anywhere else if traveling to Beirut again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank byairbysea
Reviewed 25 August 2010

After years of browsing on this website, I decided that it was time to begin writing my own reviews; I could not think of a better way to start than with my thoughts on Le Gray. I have stayed at hundreds of different hotels and can comfortably say that this one ranks among the top 10.

I don't know when the hotel was inaugurated, but I would guess that is wasn't more than a few months ago. Too often I am forced to choose among brand-new hotels with hit-or-miss service, or alternatively established - but often old - structures with outstanding service. Le Gray has both qualities: it is brand new, wonderful, and overall delivers outstanding attention to its guests (with just few minor glitches). It is very difficult to find a hotel with very "cool" and "hip" style, with 5-star service.

I was staying in an Executive Terrace suite, which in reality is more of a very large room (with terrace, obviously). The decor is very nice: lots of stone, marble, chrome elements... all delivering a very modern but also warm feeling (I am bored of minimalistic ultra-cold hotels). The bed is very comfortable (it felt rather similar to Starwood's Heavenly Bed) and the bathroom extremely spacious, all in dark stone (large bathtub, separate toilet with bidet and separate shower).

The sixth floor is extremely enjoyable, with a cigar lounge (both inside and outside areas), a swimming pool with bar and an amazing restaurant. I warmly suggest to have at least one or two meals at the proper restaurant; I went for lunch twice and was really surprised by the quality of the food. The wine list is also impressive (and there is a beautiful glass and chrome cellar in the middle of the restaurant).

As previously mentioned, I was impressed by the service. All members of staff were very attentive and ready to take care of any need. Just to mention a few examples: ordered a bucket of ice in the room, arrived in no more than three minutes; walked down to reception and on several occasion I asked to be driven to various restaurants: the hotel car was ready in about 2 minutes. A special praise goes to the waiter at the bar on the 7th floor: I went there with 4 friends on one night to have a quick pre-dinner drink (we stayed there about 20 minutes). We went back the day after and the waiter remembered all our 5 different choices from the day before; it's the kind of small detail that sets the difference between a good and an excellent hotel.

My only negative comment is related to the pool area. There are only about 12 sunbeds, which is simply ridiculous for a hotel of this size. Also, it is located on the East-ish side of the hotel, so it didn't get any sun after mid-afternoon!

I had a few other friends staying in other places, such as the Intercontinental Phoenicia and the new Four Seasons. I spent some time in these hotels and, based on my personal impressions, Le Gray is one step above. It probably doesn't cater for an overly "quiet" and conventional clientele (ie: I wouldn't recommend it to an old couple that just wants to stay in the hotel and rest), but according on my tastes and from what I've seen it is undoubdtedly the best in Beirut.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We chose Le Gray after reading a number of reviews and articles. Our expectations were consequently set very high - but Le Gray met and exceeded. The modern decor is neutral with a twist, the rooms surprisingly spacious for a city hotel, and the facilities are exceptional (pool, restaurants, rooftop bar). What really blew us away however was the service - everyone from the night manager (who greeted us when we arrived at the hotel from the airport, having landed at 5am, gave us a tour of the property and made sure we were fed and entertained for the couple of hours before our rooms were ready), to the maids, to a front desk employee who more than once walked us to a club nearby to ensure we got in without hassle. Special mention to the absolutely fabulous and incredibly pro-active concierge Lisa, whose recommendations were always spot-on and always managed to get us into the bars we wanted.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Beautifully appointed, great location, impeccable service, incredible room, stylishly run restaurants and bars, as dear as poison and thoroughly recommend it. We're saving up to go back.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple