“Not flash - but functional!”
Review of Talal Hotel

Talal Hotel
Ranked #6 of 47 Beirut B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

This is a no-frills basic hostel. We were in a private double which had a little ensuite. The shower was good and the quality of the towels was excellent. The beds are extremely firm and our room was really noisy - but Beirut is noisy! However, if you are on a tight budget this would be perfect - the staff were very polite and friendly and the location is excellent. It is almost a shame that they don't do up a couple of the rooms and charge more!

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed 6 March 2013

I came to Beirut in August 2012 to study. My plan was to spend a few days at Talal and then rent a flat. But now it is March 2013 and since then I'm at Talal; live here.
There's nothing more to say...
Just 5 minutes to Gemmayzeh, 5 minutes to Downtown, 3 minutes to Charles Helou bus station (where you can take buses to Byblos, Jounieh, Tripoli and Syria)...
You can use the kitchen... (well, if you're in Lebanon go and taste the traditional food, don't spend time on cooking)
The owners are so friendly and helpful. You can get all tips about Lebanon; where to go, how to go *in the cheapest and easiest way*
It feels like home.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Chaalar J
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I stayed for 3 nights and loved every minute of it! The owner is fantastic and all of the staff were so kind and helpful. I organised all of my day trips with his help and tips. I don't you are looking for budget accommodation with people with a sense of humor and great location this is the plave. I am a women travelling alone and found the location very safe!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We are 3 friends just arrived after 4 nights in Talal Hotel in Beyrouth. The manager and the team are VERY nice, professional, and welcoming.
The price is very good and the location too.
THANKS to the manager and the people working there.

Room Tip: if possible on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2013

The place is pretty nice. The stuff are funny and with good sense of humor. Rooms are clean, not a lux. Good location. The kitchen is free to use like in a hostel. There is a free coffee and tea all the time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Talal hostel is just what you would expect at a backpackers hostel- cheap rooms, friendly staff, and new people to meet. I stayed for almost 2 weeks, and didn't have any problems. Most of the staff was very helpful guiding me to the places I wanted to go, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom clean. It's in a great location- short walk to downtown and Gemayze, so it's easy to get around.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I had to leave here after one night, so appalled was I at the conditions. When I got there, nobody spoke to me: all i could get out of the owner was a grunt. The lobby area was full of men smoking nargileh and being very loud. I wasn't shown any common areas or given any information about the hotel. The man on reception was extremely grumpy bordering on rude - I believe he is the owner. I had to ask where the bathroom was. To get to the bathroom, I had to walk through the lobby full of men and I couldn't lock my door. I felt very unsafe. The sheets - which were of the Sleeping Beauty variety - were so old and dirty I felt a layer of oil saturate my body when I laid on them. The men in the lobby didn't leave until the early hours of the morning and even then, some of them slept on the sofa in the lobby. In the morning when I was having a shower, the power went out. I was stuck in the bathroom in the dark. The guy standing outside the bathroom never mentioned there were scheduled power outages. I know you get what you pay for, but at the very least I expect to feel safe and I definitely did not feel safe here. When I had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, it was extremely uncomfortable with the leers of some of the men.

All I can think of the good reviews on here is that they're all from men. Maybe men get better treatment? I don't know, but I left at 7.30am the following morning and will never, ever go back.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo