“You get what you pay for!”
Review of Minto Suites

Minto Suites
Ranked #28 of 40 Speciality Lodging in Beirut
Beirut, Lebanon
“You get what you pay for!”
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I stayed here for 2 weeks when I moved to Lebanon before I moved into my permanent apartment. It was reasonable for what I paid. I moved from a much nicer (more expensive) hotel round the corner (excess of $100 a night), as I managed to find an apartment in Beirut and just needed somewhere to crash until I moved there.

The location is very central. Plenty of pubs and bars below the hotel. My main advice would be to bring a pair of ear-plugs so you can actually go to sleep. One night there was a live band playing on the street below (small alley-way off Hamra) so I didn't sleep at all! As I stayed for over 2 weeks the owner actually reduced the price significantly. I think I eventually ended up paying $35 a night down from the advertised $50. Despite it's many flaws. i.e. old building, creaky and cold atmosphere etc the management are actually very nice if you take time to speak to them. I found it very easy to negotiate many things with them.

Check the room you get i.e. front facing rooms are prone to noise from the street below so get a room high up. My room was facing the back and there was a shaft outside one of the windows which meant I could smell the fuel from the generator now and again so had to sleep with the extractor fan on!! Make sure you check these small things just to your stay is as comfortable as can be.

The rooms are actually very big and you get beds, table, kitchenette etc over around 30 Sq Metres. I didn't actually use the kitchenette! The room was cleaned each day and I was out for most of the day.

I would only recommend this hotel to anyone on a tight budget or group of friends who want to use the hotel as a base to leave their stuff and will be out most of the time!

Room Tip: Get a room high up and preferably not front-facing. Make sure your room is not between the generator...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank CulturedNomad

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Karlsruhe, Germany
Reviewed 12 March 2012

The location is great, just off a tiny street from the Hamra and the price is great. The rooms are big, there is air-condition, cable TV, 24-hour hot water, a kitchen, and a comfortable bed. Unfortunately, it is really noisy, due the bars which are also located in the street. But therefore you are directly in Hamra.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stefanie P
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Minto Suites is not a completely bad place: it is located in the centre of Beirut near Hamra street, the apartment we had was big, and there was, surprisingly, free internet. But there are several bars next to the hotel, so it's very loud every day until midnight; the room was quite dirty: the windows have not been washed for years and the cutlery and the glasses in the kitchen were so dirty you couldn't touch them; the phone didn't work in the room; staff didn't speak much English (or any other language) so good luck if you want to ask anything. The price we paid was high for the quality, so for our next stay in Beirut we will choose a hotel for a similar price and certainly not stay at Minto Suites.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Beirut hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I stayed at the Minto Suites for two nights during mid-June, and came across it by accident. I was quoted 55 USD a night for one person and thought that was a reasonable price to pay for West Beirut’s Al Hamra district. I wanted to like the place, but I didn’t. There’s actually not much wrong with it, but for me, it’s just a difficult place to like.

Location is great – just off a tiny street from the Hamra – and the price is great, and there’s air-con, cable TV, 24-hour hot water, a fridge, some sort of a stove and a fairly comfortable bed.

Unfortunately, it’s not as clean as I would’ve liked – it’s not dirty, but it could be cleaner. The air-con is also a bit of a nuisance not just because it’s noisy, but it makes the air so dry that it made my eyes and skin itch (quite badly) overnight until I turned it off. I couldn’t really open the windows either as it faces a string of noisy bars which don’t close until the early hours, and they are really, really noisy. Also, the sockets were a bit dodgy, and no plugs available for charging cameras and phones etc.

Having seen other places in West Beirut at even lesser prices, I shouldn’t really complain about 55 USD-a-night when I managed to sleep ok. But for me, Minto Suites just doesn’t really cut it.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo