“Mixedtown Hotel and Suites”

Midtown Hotel and Suites
Ranked #26 of 116 Hotels in Beirut
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Mixed thoughts on Midtown Hotel and Suites, Beirut.

Stayed for six nights, and while some aspects of the hotel are very good, others are sub-par. If you're traveling on a tight budget and get a low rate, this could be a perfect choice, but if you're accustomed to any little extras, or super conscientious service, or expect a hotel that provides all the amenities listed and looks like its pictures, this may not be the place for you.

Overall, the location is excellent - right in the heart of the Hamra district.

The staff is friendly and - when not forgetting to address an issue or call you back - quite helpful. I generally liked every employee I came in contact with. The hotel feels secure. And while the rooms are clean - housekeeping is excellent - and the beds and linens very comfortable - the furniture is dated and there are some very rough edges in terms of general upkeep - a firm shutting of the door sent a strip of moulding flying into the hallway - things like that. Easy fixes if the hotel were so inclined.

The breakfast consists of two traditional hot dishes, hard boiled eggs, a large variety of meats, cheeses, yogurt, fresh fruits and vegetables, a traditional salad, two types of bread, three cereal options, preserves, several juices, milk, coffee and tea. Yes, it was the same thing every day, but it was ample, varied enough, and everything was well presented, fresh and delicious.

During my stay, the pool was closed, the bar was closed, the restaurant was only open "if the cook shows up," and the entire room service menu consisted of a burger and fries, or a chicken or beef fajita sandwich. And then again - only available - if the cook shows up. To Midtown's credit - when the cook was there - the sandwich was pretty good.

Some reviewers mentioned an odd smell in the rooms - and I found this too - a bit sewer-gassy. I solved the issue by blocking a drain - when not in use - with a damp towel. This prevented the smell from coming into the room. I believe there are some general plumbing issues with the hotel. One day while showering, the bathroom floor drain backed-up, flooding the bathroom and part of the bedroom. Engineering and housekeeping took care of the issue quickly - no biggie.

There were also numerous power outages during my stay, some lasting several minutes. This caused some inconvenience - a friend was stuck in the elevator for a little while - but besides that incident, the outages were not too much of a hassle. On a note regarding safety though, the door to the electrical room on my floor was left open throughout my stay - not only were exposed wires within reach, the floor to the room was an open grate that dropped the entire height of the building - wide enough for a guest to fall-through if he or she inadvertently stepped into the room.

I can't say I disliked or regret my stay here. In fact, I found the overall experience rather pleasant, though the hotel was certainly not what I expected. And while I might stay here again - having gained an understanding of the place - I'm still not sure if I would recommend it to others, as some things that I found relaxed and even comical, might prove very frustrating to other travelers.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank John K

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I've stayed for 6 nights with my husband at this hotel in the beginning of Jan 2014. The location is just perfect! U're in Hamra, in the middle of everything!Good value for money.The breakfast is simple with no variety but it doesn't matter much when you came to explore a country not a hotel breakfast))The room was just perfect,cleaning was ok.The reception staff is smiling and helpful.In general,am pretty satisfied with this hotel and will recommend!! No noise by the way!

Room Tip: 806 with a balcony!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lera2013
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Look, this place is far from perfect. There is a construction site nextdoors so expect some level of noise during the day. Rooms are a bit sparse and smell funny. Breakfast is relatively mediocre.
However, the location is spot-on, service laidback and the rooms appeared clean enough. The main advantage is the price. Compared to other Hamra hotels, at least here you don't get the impression of being completely ripped off. So for a short stay, I would definitely keep this hotel in mind as an option.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

I stated for four nights at mid town hotel to enjoy the New Year's Eve on Beirut and i did enjoy Everything in Beirut but that hotel : mini bar is empty - hotel is not a 4 stars hotel it should be max 3 stars as the building is very poor inside and outside . The location was good and safe but the staff was not that helpful for a tourist one of them actually helped a taxi driver to abuse us by paying a way a lot from what he deserved for a pick up which made me very angry of the whole staff , room service is very poor , bathroom very small and inconvenient - I do recommend the hotel for a quick short stay but not for a tourist .

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Kareem E
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed for 3 weeks in November. Reception staff very helpful. Room was modern, clean and very comfortable. Location couldn't have been better. Located in Hamra district which is great for shopping and bars at night and is a 15 minute walk to Rouche and promenade by sea.
Truly the best value in Hamra. Looked at a few slightly less expensive properties in Hamra that were quite disgusting.
The view from the rooftop pool is incredible and it is open all year...but water very shallow and not heated.
Only negative thing I have to say is the breakfast included in room rate really was of bad quality and staff at breakfast were very stand-offish and unhelpful. Also the staff in cafe in reception area always seemed to be missing.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor with room as nice views of city and less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julie B
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I booked at midtown because of the swimming pool on the roof and the good review seen on the web. Unfortunately I only had bad suprises:
- closed swimming pool
- dirty and bad smelling room
- small and bad furnished bathroom
- completely unprofessional service

At the end of my staying, once I payed my bill with my credit card, the girl at the reception kept my credit card and started writing down my credit card numbers, my name and even the code on the back side. I had to ask her three times to get back my card.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Milo063
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Only a few hours after I checked out from the hotel, I realized that I had forgotten some clothes in the closet. I called the hotel as soon as I got back home and told them about the situation. The receptionist was not friendly and helpful. When I called the next day, they said that they couldn't find my clothes as if they vanished into air. I told them I was 100% sure that I left them in the hotel closet. Obviously, my clothes had been taken by the housekeeping. The hotel manager had been very hostile and rude to me. She didn't apologize, didn't even utter a word of sorry. I liked Beirut but this hotel has been the only disappointment of my trip. The hotel is bad in many aspects including location, cleanliness, professionalism and customer service. It is very optimistic to rate it as a 4 star hotel. The staff is unprofessional and rude!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012