“Disappointed”

Marinella
Ranked #189 of 870 Restaurants in Beirut
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Http://www.timeoutbeirut.com/restaurants/listing/2317/marinella.html
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was invited to Marinella with some friends, to try the real Italian taste. Not even close to.
Fatty meals. The old fashion cuisine. Thinking as the more you add fat the more taste better.
Overpriced for quality and service.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

I had been wanting to try Marinella for some time, having heard so much about it from friends and acquaintances, praising the quality of the dishes as some of the best in town. I was somehow disappointed when I lunched there two weeks ago. The food is good indeed, but not THAT good, and the quality actually varies with the dishes. While the starters (bruschetta and salad) were above average, the langoustine linguini was rather disappointing, with no langoustine flavour except in the two segments of langoustine added on top. My friends' risotto was good but a bit too salty. The apple crumble in the end was a disappointment. The atmosphere though is fun, loud, busy. All in all, a fun place to go to (for lunch only, since the place only opens for lunch) but don't expect something exceptional

2  Thank 1001night
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Wow wow wow

A friend recommended Marinella’s and it did not disappoint.

It’s easy to get to. The setup is bright. The service is excellent. The food is exceptional.

To start we had the green salad which was very crisp and fresh. I heard that the spaghetti alla limone was good but it sounded like it was an acquired taste. I asked the waiter if we could get a taster with our salad and he kindly obliged. It’s definitely not an acquired taste and I would recommend it as a main dish.

I had the linguine with langoustine which was delicious. A friend had the rigatoni alla vodka which was also good. The penne arrabiata was bland but that's the only disappointment.

For dessert I had the apple crumble which was the perfect ending to a really really really yummy meal.

1  Thank Dina_AbuDhabi
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I visited Marinella with my wife and friends to experience what we heard about to be one of the best trattorias in town.
The place is very funky, wide, nicely lid with interesting writing on the walls. You really feel in Italy.

I will be more honest, and more direct than the previous two reviews and say things as they are.
The food temperature is perfect, the pasta quality is amazing and the cooking time is great but all of this is nothing if it's not decorated by a mouthwatering taste.
Marinella dishes lack of taste. in all dishes you would have to add lemon, salt and pepper. A nice decoration, smoky and generous and when you start by the first bite... Here is the shock.

I would recommend it, ask you to try it, and hope they would do something about it back in the kitchen.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

For all of you pining for your grandma's cooking, this was a memorable experience. The caponata was different from what I had sampled in the US, where it tends to be tomato-heavy. Marinella's was simpler, but tasty all the same. The burratta was a big hit with my party and was very nicely plated. The osso bucco (a special of the day) was so tender and succulent, yet beautifully presented (whole, with the tasty marrow bone at the center, topped with an original orange zest gremolata). That dish came with either pasta or risotto, but our host happily substituted a side of gnocchi (which was another special for that day). It was tough to tell which was better--the osso bucco or the gnocchi.
With a wonderful Lebanese red wine for accompaniment, we all skipped desert to let the wonderful flavor of our lunch linger.

1  Thank trebordadda