“it is a 4-5 star for interior but really a 2 for sleep!”
Review of Phoenicia Hotel

Phoenicia Hotel
Ranked #2 of 113 Hotels in Beirut
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I want to be fair to this hotel as it is luxury. There is no doubt that from top to bottom, this is a lovely hotel if you really like the old world luxury; this is your place. So on the many positives; the rooms are well appointed, great bathrooms, lovely Occitane toiletries, all the bits and pieces you need included for a wonderful stay. There was a tray of fruit left in my room my second night and a call left on my voicemail from the manager to check to see if my stay was going well. The staff are lovely. There is a 24 hour gym and a lovely pool open quite late. A spa, business facility and the breakfast is just about the best I had anywhere (but, you must note that if not included, it is $34). The hotel is expensive, so be mindful before signing multiple items. There is a hotel taxi service but it is about 2-3 times more than waiving down a taxi outside. If you take a taxi, solo, to most spots, it is 10,000 LBP. If a service, shared, it is 2000. You can negotiate without Arabic but be clear that you are not going to pay more than standard rate and, importantly, have exact change so that you are not hassled for more money or have to negotiate to get change back. Taxi drivers in Lebanon are not great so be careful. Some will be honest, but many more will take advantage. In terms of a hotel pick up, it was arranged for me to be picked up by the hotel and that was excellent. As soon as you exit beyond passport control, you walk out and straight in front of you are 3 hotel counters, of which Phoenicia is one and my name was clearly marked just above. Nice car and driver. So the reason for the 2* for sleep; 2 things. Firstly, this area of Beirut is party central just outside of the window and THE most popular spot for weddings which seem to happen every night. Now the wedding in the hotel is fine as they happen below and it is fine. But the ones outside near St George Bay are ridiculous. Add to this, the Fri/Sat clubbing and the noise is outrageous. So if you are facing the sea, be prepared NOT TO SLEEP. On the Saturday night, the music went off around 2:30 a.m. and on Sunday, just after 1 a.m. Please note that this is not the kind of noise you only hear if you are noise sensitive, this is disco in your room kind of noise that is ridiculous. Either the hotel cannot do anything about it or they have enough traffic that they don't care. I was offered a new room on the other side but it was too late for me to want to switch. But if you insist on staying here, decide if you want to deal with street noise and front of hotel noise (I am not sure what that is like) or the music....or stay elsewhere. A friend was staying at the Rotanda G and whilst not as posh, she slept so well! U decide....As for other things, you are very close to the Corniche (sea) and not too far from Hamra (great area) and the very awful Souq (they took these lovely buildings down and built the equivalent of a mall so if new European stores are your thing, this is the place). So location is good.

Room Tip: Read above, make clear you want to be in a QUIET room and not near where the all night music plays...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank CavKA
Christian M, Hotel Manager at Phoenicia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Dear CavKA,

Thank you for your recent stay at Phoenicia Hotel Beirut, we appreciate your feedback and review.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and found all the facilities and services to be up to the standards and expectations. We always aim to satisfy our guests and it is a great pleasure to get direct feedback which we communicated to our colleagues.

In regards to the price of the Taxi, please stay assured that your comments were noted and usually our prices differ because the taxis we use are safer, cleaner and with well serviced drivers. Nevertheless, we regularly do market comparisons to ensure our partners are in line with the market but we will surely pass on these comments to them.

On another note, we were concerned to hear about the inconvenience you have encountered during your stay with us regarding the outside noise, for which we would like to apologize. Please stay assured that your feedback has been communicated and solutions will be suggested. But as you mentioned the noise is from outside the hotel so it is not within our control. Nevertheless, we will make sure that during your next visit you stay in a room on the other side.

One again, thank you for choosing the Phoenicia Hotel Beirut and for your recommendation. We are hoping to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

The Phoenicia Hotel really did live up to it's reputation as one of the finest luxury hotels in Beirut. The staff were friendly, the rooms luxurious and comfortable, and the service superb. This was my first time staying in this hotel and I found it to conform to the quality and standards of Intercontinental 5 star hotels. There is one small note however. The A/C in the room was ok but did not cool as much as I needed it to. Beirut is fairly hot and humid this time of year, and it could get uncomfortable without proper cooling. To be fair though, I prefer really really cool A/C temperatures. So this might not really be a problem for most people. But to sum up, overall I really enjoyed my stay and would definately stay there next time I visit Beirut.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo

Dear bash123_12,

You are very kind, thank you for this great review and for sharing your experience. We are delighted to know that you chose Phoenicia Hotel for your first visit to Beirut and you enjoyed your stay.

We were especially pleased to read your comments regarding the staff, service and facilities which we shared with the team.

Thank you for highlighting the A/C matter, we are looking closely at the issue with the engineering team and solutions will be advised, but thank you for mentioning that.

We truly appreciate you recommending our hotel and we are waiting your next visit to welcome you back among us.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

We went on holidays and spent a week at the Phoenicia hotel. It was a memorable experience for the whole family. The staff were excellent, efficient and helpful. The hotel has a very pleasant atmosphere with superb facilities. We are coming back again

Room Tip: All rooms are luxurious and sea view rooms are in high demand
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Christian M, Hotel Manager at Phoenicia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Dear Entertainment100,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and all the service and facilities we provided.

Hope you had a wonderful holiday with your family, we will be waiting your next visit soon.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

I spent 2 nights in Phoenicia - in simple words it is excellent. Staff are very friendly and helpful, location is very good, pool is good as well. My room was cleaned very well. They have various TV channels more than any other hotel I been to. Highly recommended hotel.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Christian M, Hotel Manager at Phoenicia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

Dear Khalifa85,

Thank you for your recent stay at Phoenicia Hotel Beirut and for such a superb feedback and recommendation. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and ranked us as one of the best.
We look forward to welcome you back soon and hopefully your next visit will be for a longer period as there is much more to see in Beirut and at Phoenicia.

Best regards,

Reviewed 30 August 2012

The Phoenicia hotel oozes old-world elegance and is a very pleasant change from the chrome and marble palaces that modern 5 star hotels have become. The service standards also hark back to a time when guests were really treated as guests. Staff are friendly and helpful and always ready to help. The rooms are as one would expect from a luxury hotel - spacious, clean and with many amenities from WiFi to tea and coffee making facilities - and a decent sized TV. We had a room with a balcony and a Marina view and couldn't have wished for better.

The hotel is ideally situated, being a short walking distance from Downtown and the new Beirut Souk and right next to Zaitunay Bay with it's marina and waterfront restaurants and cafes - though crossing the road could be described as an extreme sport.

Overall, a visit to the Phoenicia is the hotel visitor's equivalent of a trip on the Orient Express. Elegance, luxury and service.

Dear JohnW053,

Thank you so much for your review and for taking the time to post it on TripAdvisor. It was a great pleasure reading such a positive and appreciative feedback.

It makes us proud that you described Phoenicia Hotel as an excellent service hotel and ranked us as one of the best. Thank you for that!
We are glad that you enjoyed our facilities and service and please note that we have communicated your 5 star review with the team.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Phoenicia Hotel Beirut and for your recommendation. We are pleased that you linked the visit and the hotel to Luxury, elegance and great service. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

I had no idea what to expect from the Phoenicia Hotel, and to be honest it was with some trepidation that I chose this hotel over the Four Seasons, but I shouldn't have worried. The Phoenicia had all the luxuries, service, family-friendliness, and amenities I could have hoped for, save for some minor exceptions concerning service which I'll mention later.

Upon arrival we were greeted in a warm and welcoming way by all the staff we met. We were not shown to our room, but it was easy enough to find. The front-facing Premier room was spacious; had a very comfortable bed; soft linen; upmarket furniture; excellent bathroom with plentiful quality amenities; and kept very clean and smelling fresh throughout our stay. The room was serviced 3 times a day.

Common areas and the lobby were luxuriously appointed. The restaurants, the gym, the indoor pool, the outdoor pool and the spa were maintained in nearly impeccable condition. The choice and quality at the breakfast buffet was very good. Snacks and lunches by the pool were also good, but not hugely impressive. We didn't have lunch or dinner elsewhere in the hotel. ( Outside of the hotel we had dinner at Mounir, Chez Fadel, and Chez Sami restaurants: all excellent.)

The downtown location was perfect for us in order to explore Beirut and its surrounds. There was a fair amount of night-time noise but you're in Downtown Beirut after all. It was lovely to get a glimpse of all the weddings that take place there. The staff were all courteous and almost always ready to help. The concierge was invariably patient and very helpful.

There were though some quite minor negative experiences which unfortunately prevent me from giving my review the full 5 points:

- One evening I needed to change a US$100 bill into smaller dollar bills mainly to tip the employees for good service during our stay. The man at the reception said I should go to the nearby bank the next day! I was rather upset and taken aback: first time this had happened to me in a 5-star hotel.

- Used cutlery at the breakfast table was not replaced unless you asked. Dishes were often taken away too soon before one had finished the plate. Otherwise the service at breakfast was good and friendly.

- Pool service was not the best despite an abundance of employees by the pool. It was difficult to attract attention for ordering. There were errors with almost every order; e.g. no condiments, or too few drinks, or doubling of orders. I must say though that all errors were promptly and politely rectified. This may have been due to language issues as I only spoke English, and not French or Arabic.

- Once, on a rather quiet day by the pool, there were not sufficient towels and it took a few minutes of hanging around before we could settle in our spot because they had to borrow towels from the spa. It appeared that they needed our arrival to realise they'd run out of towels. Pool towels were ageing and frayed at the edges. (Room towels though were fluffy, thick and excellent!) The pool was nearly always rather quiet, and there was plenty of poolside space to choose from.

- This next thing happened to both my wife and me: in the spa, when we were being escorted to the treatment room, we had to walk around in their uncomfortable hard plastic slippers through various corridors, from door to door, before the therapist managed to find a vacant and clean room. Funny to us... but they didn't come across as completely prepared and professional.

- It was reassuring to have airport-style security at the hotel entrance; what concerned me was that there was no consistency in the stringency of the security: sometimes I was asked to empty my pockets, and sometimes even bags were not put through the scanner.

- On the first 2 mornings, Housekeeping rang our room bell at 9 a.m. to see if they could come and clean the room! I would have thought - from breakfast records or from whether you have your room card-key in the slot or not - it would have been obvious whether one is still in the room first thing in the morning or not. Also, in Beirut one tends to eat late and stay out late; so knocking on our door at 9 seemed rather early. We resorted to using the 'Do Not Disturb' sign the following days. On the last day, at 11 a.m. we were still in the room doing our very final packing when, again, they rang to see if they could come in!

- Room slippers were provided for only one of the two people in the room. I have no doubt they would have provided another pair if asked, but what is the logic of providing only one pair when you know 2 people are staying in the room?! Again, to be fair, I must mention that room towels and other bedroom/bathroom amenities were always in plentiful supply.

- One night, after dinner out, upon our return to the hotel, we ordered tea and coffee in the lobby; and while I was waiting for our hot drinks, my wife ventured into the dinner buffet restaurant to explore what they had to offer. The restaurant was winding down by this stage. She loved the look of the dessert buffet, and mentioned this to the restaurant manager who kindly invited her to select something to have with her tea. "Just for you" were his words. My wife took a couple of small pieces of Labanese pastry and brought them to the lobby. We were surprised to be presented with a rather hefty bill for this - which we paid, and put down to a misunderstanding.

So these are minor points that I mention only by way of feedback for the management. I am sorry I haven't written a similarly long list of positives; but everything else was great! I would not hesitate to stay at The Phoenicia again, and I would recommend anyone considering going to Beirut to do so. They seem to have struck a good balance between good service, luxury and friendliness; unlike many hotels like this which come across as too formal or staid. It's good to see people of all races, backgrounds and cultures enjoy themselves there next to each other, and be afforded the same degree of respect. The Phoenicia is an oasis of sense, peace, calm and civility in the troubled Middle East.

Room Tip: Book rooms in the newly refurbished section of the hotel.
2  Thank Londonmammoth2

Dear Londonmammoth2,

Thank you for choosing Phoenicia Hotel for your recent stay in Beirut. We appreciate you taking the time to post such detailed review and share your experience with so many thoughtful comments.

On another note, we were concerned to hear about the inconvenience you have encountered during your stay with us, for which we would like to apologize. Please stay assured that your feedback has been communicated and corrective measures has been taken to avoid future repeats.

It is a concern for us to learn that the encounters you have had with our employees were not always consistent in terms of standards but please note that in order to improve, we have launched a “Phoenicia Culture” program that is being run in parallel to IHG’s Winning Ways to align our associates and deliver the best guest experience.

Once again, please let us express our gratitude and appreciation for your recommendation of Phoenicia Hotel Beirut and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

In case you have any further requests for clarification, please be assured that we would be more than glad to assist at any time.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

Three things are really good about this hotel: location, friendly and helpful staff, and breakfast. Rooms are generally nice, but there is the problem of loud music coming from across the street from wedding parties and partying in general. There is nothing the hotel can do about it, this is just typical central Beirut. The views from the hotel are very nice too. Note the service you get at this hotel exceeds anything you may experience in Europe or elsewhere. I fell ill one day and they brought me medication to my room and prepared special food for me that would suit my stomach!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Hitch71
Christian M, Hotel Manager at Phoenicia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear Hitch71,

Thank you for choosing Phoenicia Hotel Beirut for your recent stay and for taking the time to share such a lovely review on trip Advisor.

It makes us proud to read that you had a great experience while being at our hotel. We always strive to exceed our guests expectations and provide them with the utmost service.

We hope that the exterior noise of Beirut wasn’t too loud but as you said Beirut is the party life of the Middle East so hopefully you got to experience it.

We are sorry you got sick hopefully it didn’t affect your stay and you got well soon.

Thank you again for your honest review and for promoting Phoenicia Hotel, we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon among us.