“So inferior”

Ranked #11 of 117 Hotels in Beirut
Sydney, Australia
“So inferior”
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I cannot believe that I have just paid $400 Australian a night only told by a rude young man at recetion that it is standard for each room to be supplied with a SINGLE sachet respectively of coffee and tea. When I complained I was told that it was standard and I could get extra coffee via room service. No thank you. Further more the bath robe and slippers specified in the inclusions were conspicuously absent but given the very rude reception of my request for more than one coffee sachet for 2 people, I did not want to ridk firther rudeness. It is a pity because I really enjoyed the Movenpick at Petra, Jordan but my Beirut experience was totally unsatisfactory given the price which was quite frankly exhorbitant for the lack of courtesy and amenities. The setting is very beautiful BUT I cannot believe that for $400 Aus you get a single sachet of Nescafe for two people and an extremely rude and dismissive reception from the staff person (male) who answered my call. All I wanted was at least 2 coffee sachets and a courteous reception. To be told that a single sachet was standard was simply unacceptable and will ensure that I will not choose Movenpick again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Lara B, Communications Manager at Movenpick Hotel Beirut, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Myrlwynn S,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time and writing your review on TripAdivsor.
I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay. Please rest assured that all your comments have been reviewed with the relevant mangers in order to take immediate actions and to avoid similar situations from being repeated in the future.

We are very sorry that due to unfortunate circumstances in your room you have been provided with only one coffee sachet as well as you could not find the bathrobe and the slippers as this is definitely not per Moevenpick Hotels standards; we do provide more than one coffee sachet as well as both a robe and slippers in Moevenpick Hotels and it should have not been otherwise in your case.

Concerning the reception attitude, please, in order to ensure a proper follow I would appreciate if you would to contact me on lara.bechalany@moevenpick.com, so that I would be able to gather more details in this respect.

Thank you very much for your kind attention, I hope to hear from at your best convenience and as well, I hope that you will visit us again in the future in order to have the opportunity to show you our improvements.

With my best regards,
Communications Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 2 times and the last time was in December. The hotel is beautiful and has a beautiful swimming pool. I got a sea view room and it was amazing to sleep and wake up with the sounds of the waves.
The hotel is very clean. Housekeeping team are fantastic!!! They checked my room about 3 times a day. The food from room service was delicious and the staff were so friendly.
The breakfast in the main restaurant was nice - but could be better. The view is unbelievable beautiful, however the staff there could be a little bit more friendly and quickly. I order for a cappuccino and it took 15 minutes for them to deliver it (I was alone in the restaurant). I ordered for scramble eggs and the chef gave me fried eggs (it wasn't cooked properly) - but the rest of the food was delicious. That restaurant just need a little bit more of "love".
The receptionists were fast, helpful and very friendly. They have a very nice cafe / bar with sea view and it's a nice place to have a glass of wine or coffee while you read a book.
In general I loved the hotel and would recommend it for sure.

Room Tip: Choose room with sea view - they are the BEST!!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank GigiDubai
Lara B, Communications Manager at Movenpick Hotel Beirut, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
We are so pleased to read your review! With so many nice things to say, we are almost at a loss for words!

On behalf of the staff, we would be delighted to host you again and we will surely take your comments into consideration.

Communications Manager
Reviewed 30 December 2013

At your arrival you receive a warm welcome. The check in goes fast and the staff speaks different languages. The hotel provides all comfort with very spacious room. I got a room at the back with a very nice view on the sea. Free Wifi is available in the hotel and is very fast. I enjoyed the large choice of the breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Ask a room with a view at the sea
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Lara B, Communications Manager at Movenpick Hotel Beirut, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Masuyb,

We are always delighted to read such positive reviews about our hotel that make us want to work harder and deliver even better services to our guests!

We are so thrilled that you had a wonderful time with us and we look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Paris, France
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Roof top restaurant. Sushi-bar, very confortable place, quiet "ambiant music", friendly and professional staff !
Near the Corniche and direct view on the sea, If you need a good place it's the 5* hotel "Moevenpick", restaurant named "Sushi-bar" on the top with view over the Corniche ....
One of the best place we have seen. We didn't taste the hotel !

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank John and Philip... M
Lara B, Communication Manager at Movenpick Hotel Beirut, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear John,

Thank you for your very positive review about your stay at Mövenpick Hotel Beirut. We are delighted to hear that you had a good time in Hemingway's Lounge and Square!

We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Great resort in a central location. Not something many cities can say.
Good food, breakfast and pool and I do recommend this place if you will be spending some time in the hotel. If not and you are going to be out all day sight seeing/shopping etc etc...then you probably don't need to splurge on such a hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Lara B, Communication Manager at Movenpick Hotel Beirut, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you for your positive review! Beirut is a great city to visit anytime during the year and we are sure that you both enjoyed your experience in our country. Our hotel would love to welcome you again soon!

Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed 4 nights at the hotel, great hotel with a very nice, helpful and friendly staff...excellent location and so many things to enjoy while in the hotel, reach breakfast buffet with helpful chefs to assist you all the time...Sunday brunch is a must to try....thank you for making my stay an enjoyable one...definitely will come back!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Lara B, Communication Manager at Movenpick Hotel Beirut, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The Mövenpick in Beirut gives you the impression, to be in a beach area, while you are in a city. The director, Jan Bundgaard, a really friendly Manager was very helpful and friendly. The food is in most of the restaurants pretty good and the rooms are pretty nice. The staff is always very helpful - always trying to do the best they can. I enjoyed my stay two times and would come back.

Room Tip: seaside view...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind words. It's always a delight to hear that our guests enjoy their stay at Mövenpick Hotel Beirut. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!