“(Almost) Top Marks for Markazia”
Review of Markazia Suites

Markazia Suites
Ranked #29 of 114 Hotels in Beirut
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Extremely courteous staff from the moment you arrive, nothing is too much trouble.

Elegant and comfortable reception and large suite with clean bathroom, sitting area, basket of fruit on arrival – a very nice welcome.

Most comfortable bed in any hotel for a long time !!

Meals are served in restaurant which is Punjabi themed “Cuisine” called Jaipur for which I write a separate review. It is probably this that both distinguishes the hotel and at the same time confuses matters in terms of identity.

Service at the restaurant was mediocre at best with waiter more interested in finishing his phone messages than welcoming the arrival of the only guest that evening.

Great location, easy to get around on foot and some great sights to see in the vicinity.

Would recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The staff tries very hard, but it is difficult to cover up that there has been little or no maintenance for years. Faucets leak, showers leak more than spray, rugs (ugh), lighting in bathroom is poor, internet ranges from poor to non-existent. The hotel restaurant is Indian, which is a bit bizarre. Since it is almost always empty at night you would think they would get the hint.

The one bizarre thing is they have very cheap plastic filled duvets. I never sweat in any other facility but I wake up wet in the middle of the night. The solution (Obviously people were sweating into the mattress was they covered the mattresses with plastic. All very uncomfortable!

The one real up side is it is very close to downtown and parliament. Wish the owners we spend a bit more on maintaining the facility they have.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed at the Markazia Monroe for 4 nights and will certainly return on my next visit to Beirut. When I arrived I was upgraded from a junior to a terrace suite. I had a lot of work to do during the evenings so the extra space afforded to me was greatly appreciated. The front desk staff were all incredibly helpful and polite. Every morning I was greeted by a chorus of "good morning!" as I set about my day. In particular Michael was very friendly and regularly suggested places for me to visit and eat in. He was very attentive to my needs and regularly spoke to me as I walked in/out to see how my visit was going. The room was very clean and spacious with a lovely terrace. I wish I could have stayed longer but I will certainly return to the Markazia. The only slight issue regarded the wifi but it was quickly resolved by the very helpful staff and so it was only an issue on the first evening thankfully. The location is fantastic and is walking distance to all the areas i needed to go to, as well as wonderful restaurants and bars. It was my first time in Beirut and it seemed like the ideal location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Scott P
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Located at the edge of the downtown area of Beirut, the Monroe suites are within walking distance of major attractions such as the mosque and the souks as well as very close to a huge amount of restaurants.
Guest rooms are very spacious - there is a sitting room area, a small dining table and a small kitchenette area which has a two hob stove and microwave. There is no cutlery or kitchenware so if you really wanted to use the kitchen you would need to bring in your own utensils.
There is plenty of wardrobe space and the bed is large and comfortable. I slept really well here - especially as you can open the windows for fresh air and they have blackout curtains as well.

The bathroom is small but the water pressure and heat from the shower is a lot better than I have expereinced in other hotels. There is also a "proper" hairdryer as opposed to the low speed vaccuum hose hair dryers which is typically found.

My room was very clean. I did however change rooms after my first night as my first room was a smoking room and as such smelled very stale. It was also not in the best condition. Temperature of the room was always quite event and I did not have to play around with the AC as I usually need to in other hotels. Views are not great and it can get a little loud with the traffic in the morning so ask for a high level room if you are sensitive to noise. I generally felt very happy after the room switch however

Style of the hotel is quite old fashioned and a little ecclectic; there is a lounge area on the ground floor which is very richly decorated but I did not get the feeling that it was used that much
Breakfast is good - the days I was there the breakfast was served on an order basis - you could choose from american, lebanese etc. This was always freshly cooked. There was only a breakfast buffet on the last day of my visit - Friday and then this was charged. Not sure if this is the same for all weeks.
I had free internet connection, internet was ok but not the quickest - probably not any slower than elsewhere in Beirut however.

All in all I felt very welcomed at the hotel, I found the majority of staff were very customer oriented and friendly. I slept comfortably and was able to walk everywhere I needed to from there. I will be going back

Room Tip: non smoking rooms seem to be in better condition. Ask for a high floor if you are sensitive to traff...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights whilst visiting a friend in Beirut who also stayed at the hote with me. I booked the one bedroom suite which had a large living area, separate kitchenette and dining area. The rooms were extremely spacious and clean. The only problem in the kitchenette was there was no dishes or cutlery apart from 2 cups and teaspoons. I have since found out from other reviews that you could order these from downstairs but this wasn't made clear when I was staying. The staff were polite enough, but compared to how friendly and welcoming they are in Lebanon in general, I felt they could have made more of an effort with their guests. However, the location was superb and the hotel is literally a 2 minute walk from downtown. I will be back to Beirut in December for New Year and will most probably book in here again just for the location. I really hope the standard of room I get is the same, as I believe that not all of the rooms have been renovated throughout yet.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
mnaaman, Manager at Markazia Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Mrs. Catherine M,

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. The Lebanese people are very hospitable and so is our staff, usually. We are sorry to hear that it wasn't the case with you. We assure you that we will look into this matter immediately.

Please let us know when you will be coming back and we will make sure that you have a great room and we hope to show you our Lebanese hospitality during your next visit.

We look forward to welcome you back in December.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have used this hotel twice in the past 3 months, each time staying for just over a week and I have been satisfied with the room and the service. The views aren't great (a road to the south and car park to the north).
The staff are attentive and friendly
the breakfast is a let down.

Room Tip: The junior Suites are large, liveable spaces but try to get a king size - they are slightly larger t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Myrddin1962,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We appreciate your feedback and take our guests comments very seriously.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you again soon. As for the breakfast we would appreciate more details as to what your expectations were, in order to improve ourselves.

Reviewed 8 June 2013

In such a nice country with very nice people, this hotel is a BIG disapointment. An assistant bokked me there because it is super close from the office but really it is a joke. I dont see where they have found the 5 stars rating.. Room not even average, old, dark, view on the parking lot for all the room, AC arrives straight on the bed. a kitchen but NO refrigerator .. Internet connexion on 6 floor very bad and when you call the reception they tell you it is your laptop that you ahve to change. The serveice is very bad, you always feel like your are disturbing or, total opposite, the waiter for breakfast is almost on your knees after you say hello. Avoid that hotel if you can.

Room Tip: dont go there
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ELISE1969
mnaaman, Manager at Markazia Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Dear Mrs. Elise,

Thank you for your review. Regarding the your issue with your laptop, we recall the problem and it was that your laptop was not catching the signal of the Hotel WIFI. We tried to sort it out for you, but it just wasn't working. We have never had this problem before with any other laptop. In any case, we apologize for this inconvenience.

All our Suites have Kitchenettes, and Mini bars. The Mini bar is there for your convenience and can be used as a fridge.

Regarding the view on the parking lot, we are located in the center of downtown Beirut, walking distance from all offices, shopping, restaurants, & nightlife. This is simply our location and there's nothing we can do about that.

As for the friendly, eager waiter, we apologize if his aim to please disturbed you.

We are happy to welcome you again at Markazia Monroe Suites, if you chose to visit us again.