All reviewsan indian restaurantgreat indian foodrooftop poola partial sea viewthird partybreakfast roomcomfy bedlocation is idealother hotelsdowntown areaboutique hotelcornichehinduparillamodernisationconciergelebanon
Reviewed 19 May 2009

The hotel is a little small but has very elegant rooms. I really suggest you take sea view room because they are better furnished. What I like the most about the hotel is the delicious breakfast with fantastic view over the Mediterranean. Moreover, the roof top outdoor pool is amazing with great view, but a Little small. The hotel's location is good as well. I recommend this hotel.

1  Thank roudy100
Reviewed 22 February 2009

We booked our 4 nights stay on the hotel website and also booked the hotels airport transfer for our arrival, however we weren't met! Our mobile phone wasn't working so asked at a nearby hotel desk for them to call the hotel, who told us they didn't have a transfer booking for us although it showed on our reservation! Waited 15 minutes for the driver and reception upgraded us to a Junior Suite on the 2nd floor with a balcony overlooking a derelict building and a side view of the sea, but a lovely big jacuzzi bath and a mini-bar. Room wasn't large by Suite standards, but v.comfortable and quiet as we overlooked a side street.
The breakfast room located on 6th floor with great sea views served Lebanese breakfasts, would have been helpful to know what many of the dishes were! There was also an array of pastries, bread rolls and fresh fruit. There is internet available at US5.00 for 2 hours that expires after 24 hours (too bad if you have to wait an hour to use it and your time then expires)!! The small gym was well equipped. The rooftop pool and bar were closed during our visit, it would be helpful if the website says when it's closed/open as there was no other bar or cafe at the hotel. Reception staff were hit or miss with their friendliness! The hotel also has it's own taxi service although you pay a little extra for it, but convenient for the airport run which is only 15minutes drive.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fee2travel
Reviewed 1 February 2009

This is an excellent hotel with very comfortable rooms, friendly staff and pleasant public areas. There is a lovely roof-top pool with amazing views and a marvellous bar area just below. The hotel restaurant serves very well cooked, delicious indian food.

It is quite expensive but it is definitely a case of getting what you pay for.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JPCHickey
Reviewed 5 December 2008

Let’s talk first impressions - I made a reservation for two rooms, however, the website that I used (agoda.com) royally screwed up the reservation. When we arrived at the hotel, The Palm Beach had a reservation record for one room (with only one unoccupied room in the whole house). For an issue that was in no way shape or form the hotels fault, they went out of their way to resolve it. They opened a floor that was undergoing renovation so I did not have to share a room with my snore happy travel companion. They then upgraded my room the next day for the inconvenience. Great first impression.

I loved the hotel itself. I don’t stay in chain hotels because I loathe cookie cutter rooms and design. The Palm Beach was anything but cookie cutter. The Room(s): The website’s [lack of] pictures had me a bit suspicious – when a hotel is so scarce with pics of something as central to their business as rooms – the “what are they trying hide” warning flags go up. Im glad I took the leap. Both of my rooms were very well appointed and had balconies with doors that can be opened to let in the warm Mediterranean breeze. I was struck by how wide the hallways were. I know it’s a dumb detail, but its one of those things that just passively contributes to the ambiance. Being from NY originally, I appreciate that most NYC hotel developers would have turned the excess hall space into 15 more rooms per floor. The public spaces were lavish but not stuffy. The only things that irked me a bit was the hotel closed the pool (rooftop) for the “winter” - despite being 75 degrees. I had no intention of swimming so not really a problem perse, however, I did have designs on enjoying a poolside cocktail. So it being closed was a bit of bummer. From how prominently it figured into the website, you would get the impression it was a year round amenity -- and you would be wrong. Also, way the hotel does wireless internet was also kind of irritating. For such a nice hotel, having to go down the front desk daily for new access codes was something of a nuisance but in the grand scheme of things is totally inconsequential. The Food: I go out of my way not to eat in hotel restaurants when traveling so I can’t say anything about the indian place in the hotel. I did have quite a hangover one afternoon and did not move from the room until my headache became manageable - so I can say that quality room service was exceptional by hotel standards.

The hotel is well located – it’s about a 15 minute walk to the downtown square. Beirut is the prettiest ugly city that I have encountered to date. While Beirut is very available to a pretty Novice traveler, its generally a place for people looking for a ‘Vacation 4.0’ type experience. Beirut offers what simply can’t get elsewhere– the scars of war & terrorism carved into the face of a reasonably safe metropolitan city. The immediate area around the hotel is one of the most fascinating places in the touristy areas of Beirut. The bomb that killed the former prime minister in 2005 went off just about a ½ block from the Palm Beach more or less destroying/gutting everything for 5 blocks around. 3 of about 8 hotels in the area have rebuilt (The Intercontinental, The Palm Beach, & The Monroe). The rest are still rubble. Two blocks away blocks away are four or five 30 story condos going up on the waterfront. Four blocks away is an abandoned 25 story building that was turned into swiss cheese from machine gun damage. The story and contrasts of the area are mind boggeling. This area, which is really quite pretty, is filled with vivid reminders of the city’s war torn past while looking toward the future with furious levels of construction nearby. It was nice to have such a great little comfy hotel in the middle of it all.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank NyCBoI2ThEMaX
Reviewed 11 November 2008

Since I was staying for only 3 nights, I considered location to be a prime consideration.

The hotel is around a 20 min safe walk (5 min taxi) along the coast to the Downtown area, where many of the tourist attractions are based.

In the other direction there is the beautiful Corniche with the Hard Rock Cafe & McDonalds less than 5 min away if that is what you want.

Located within yards of the 2005 car bombing you have the opportunity to see first hand evidence of a terrible part of the city's past.

Across the road there is an excellent little store with a charming lady who will help avoid you paying mini-bar prices.

They do not offer non-smoking rooms so like me you may wish to refuse the initial room offered. The rooms themselves are quite spacious and decorated in a range of styles. The standard rooms have rather basic bathrooms so again you may wish to insist upon an alternate room.

For quieter rooms - ask for one ending in a 1, e.g. 501

There was some mildew and grime to be seen around the bath but not enough to cause offence at this price.

My only real gripe was the absence of the well publicised roof pool and bar. Both are seasonal and therefore were closed without any such indication on their website.

A hotel without a bar was a pain. However the Palm Beach's loss was the Phoenician's gain.

The Lebanese tend to dress up rather than down. Myself and my travel buddy tended to be in T shirts and shorts during the day yet experienced no problems.

Our booking was incorrectly processed by AGODA (part of Priceline) but the hotel worked around the problem in a positive and friendly manner. Unfortunately not all the staff were always as helpful but two bad apples amongst an otherwise courteous and tolerant bunch was frustrating, not disastrous.

It would be nice to stay again at a time when the rooftop pool is open and a couple of staff are on leave.

Oh and Bierut was wonderul. Walking at night and taxis were no problem.

1  Thank Gordon W