“RIght in the middle of where you want to be”

Warwick Palm Beach Hotel
Ranked #44 of 114 Hotels in Beirut
Reviewed 7 August 2010

We stayed in this hotel for a few nights in June. Its not the best hotel that you ever stay in - the staff do well at staying in the background - sometimes when you don't want them to be so remote! But our room was fine. We went with friends and their room was not quite so big or well placed so I would challenge front desk for one of the bigger rooms higher up at the front. The bar at the top is absolutely fabulous and well worth visiting even if yopu don't stay here.

We really enjoyed the option of walking the beirut promenade with the crowds. It is unique, safe and fascinating. Given everything else in the city, it is easy to get distracted but I would recommend this as a "must". It just feels easier to understand the city when the sun is setting, boys are jumping off rocks into the sea and, as you wade through the walking crowds, the skaters and bicycles are dodging you.

Anyway, the staff are 'good enough' but nothing to write home about. The breakfast was pretty good and the rooms were clean, albeit a bit dated when you look at carpets and bathrooms.

Would I go back on a special occassion? Probably not, but as a base to explore the city or visit friends then if the price is right, I recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 June 2010

I travel a lot for work, so I stay in various hotels every week, and so I can easily say that this hotel is not worth the money that they charge, and their staff don't know the first thing about customer service.
We called ahead while on the way to the hotel, and were told one rate on the phone and that there is no need to book since many rooms available. We challenged the rate, since it was double what was quoted in lonely planet, and were told it was high season now. We decided to go anyway as there were not many hotels in the lonely planet with pools and we wanted to splurge for our last couple of nights of vacation, and have a relaxing time by the pool.
We arrived hot and tired after a long trip from Damascus, and started to check-in to be told another rate. When challenged, they said that the room rate they said was for a room that wasn't available. After some discussion, he gave us the rate stated on the phone. Just before finishing check-in, we were saying to each other that we couldn't wait to swim.... oh the pool is not ready, should be in 2 to 3 days. No one bothered to tell us! Not on the phone, nor when we arrived, although they are keen to already charge high season rates, for an empty hotel with no pool.
The rooms were completely average, and there seemed to be staff at the front of the hotel, but not really doing much. We were so disappointed with the room and lack of pool for the money, but the staff told us we could use the pools across the street in the beach clubs and they would reimburse us the cost. ok, we could live with this, and even checked opening times with the same very snobby guy who checked us in.
We spent the next day exploring Beirut, got back to the hotel hot and sticky at 5.30pm and decided to go to the pool. Off we went to the nicer one, only to find out that it was closing. We went back to hotel to complain as it was not the same opening hours as they told us. He told us to go to the other club. We asked for him to check, and he snobbily said that he knew for sure it was open. Off we went, and guess what?!!? Closed as can be. So at this time, I was beyond frustrated. I went back and told him that this was not the way to treat guests, and that I asked him to check for us. While I was complaining, the phone rang, and he answered, completely ignoring our conversation. Another guy working there said I was totally right. Well, it didn't get us much anyway!
I decided to check around, and found out that other hotels only start high season on JULY 1!!! In addition, I saw that this hotel already had bad reviews, if I only knew or could access the internet before arriving in Beirut, I would have stayed away.
Upon check-out, I asked to see the manager, same snobby guy ignored me, and told me my total. I told him that I asked to see the manager, and he said "when?!". Just now, and you ignored me. Out came the manager, and we told her everything, including high season rates not yet in effect, she has an empty hotel, bad service, and don't have all the facilities available, etc. She didn't care at all. She was so defensive, and said that we should know that all pools close at 18.00 in Beirut?!?! Can you believe it?!? In the end, she took 20 lousy euros off each night, as this would be the cost of going to the pool across the street, and that was all. I told her we could have stayed at a cheaper hotel with same quality rooms and facilities if we only knew. And that it was too bad she didn't want to work harder at making me happier as I would for sure write a bad review here to confirm what some others already said, and I would also write to lonely planet to be sure they are not a recommended hotel in the next edition.
Breakfast was average, and the staff was really useless. There were always 2 or 3 people just standing around, and you had to beg for a coffee. Completely useless.
With all the new hotels being built in Beirut, this hotel will not last, unless they change management and attitude, or change their price to reflect the 3 star hotel that they actually are.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank Claudia077
palmbeachbeirut, Manager at Warwick Palm Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2010

First and foremost, may I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts and feedback on the service and facilities at the hotel. We normally take all feedbacks seriously, but this one, I think, is over exaggerated. It is true that the pool’s renovation wasn’t over yet. But you were directly offered compensation to this incident.
We sincerely regret to know that the nearby pools did not let you in at 5:30pm as the Hotel’s staff was informed they close at 6pm. I have been involved in the daily operations of the Palm Beach Hotel and snobby useless staff, is certainly not how we treat our guest. Please allow me to correct a small but rather very important detail in your review. The occupancy of the Hotel for the past 2months has been above average for the High season we were expecting. Our pricing is in line with similar properties in this area and we feel that we offer good value given our location. A Discount of 20Euro per night was offered in order to make you happier. However, in your case it appears we failed to meet expectations, and for that I am truly sorry.

Reviewed 7 June 2010

The Palm Beach was the first hotel to open a roof top terrace with pool and bar and night entertainment in Beirut after the war. There is nothing spectacular about the hotel but the location is right in the old hotel district on the ocean drive. The front rooms enjoy a great view. The rooms are clean but as usual in Beirut averagly furnished and decorated with no special taste. The service is nice, there is valet parking, security and everybody in the
staff seems friendly. When I was there the roof top terrace was under reconstruction so I don´t know whether it will attract the chic Beirut party crowd again because new places have opened (The White, The Four Seasons will open a new roof top bar and pool next summer etc.) . The prices at this four star hotel are moderate and it can be easily reached within 15 minutes from the airport .

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2010

The hotel is rather unremarkable and somewhat pricy regarding the lack of a functioning pool and rooftop restaurant/bar, which is nevertheless advertised. The rooms are clean but not remarkable (our room had a small balcony without chairs facing a war-ravaged neighboring building). We were somewhat angry about the fact that there was neither a functioning pool nor rooftop restaurant or bar, as nevertheless advertised on the website, but only a big construction site which did not look as if either pool or bar would be there in the near future. So, despite the fact that they have photos of both on their website (saying in June that the pool will be ready by June), you will probably not find either in the near future, which is misleading. If you want to book this hotel, you should check in advance whether pool and rooftop restaurant/bar are now there. Walking distance to the town centre (Place d'etoile) is about 30 minutes, so that is also not a real recommendation for this hotel (however, it is situated at the Eastern end of the Corniche). Breakfast buffet is quite ok with a reasonable choice of items but the service is sometimes a bit problematic as the personnel does not speal English or French too well. The reception upon request organised a taxi with driver for day-trips to Byblos and Baalbek.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Drea12345
Reviewed 28 May 2010

Can't see the sea although I paid extra for sea view, staff are not friendly and sleeping on their uncomfortable bed is really annoying.
One of the worst hotels in Beirut.

2  Thank Kam_Salah
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Palm Beach Hotel is a place that made us feel like home. The staff are very nice people and they are always willing to help.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Very genuine boutique hotel in the heart of a beautiful city.

Stayed in the Palm Beach for one week, and will not consider staying anywhere else in the future. The staff were more than helpful, and were always happy to greet us with a smile.

Rooms were a decent size, with a spacious bathroom.

This is one of those hotels where I have so much to say, but no idea how to say it.

Top Notch!!