“Watch on the check out.”
Review of Plaza Hotel

Plaza Hotel
Ranked #62 of 113 Hotels in Beirut
Reviewed 18 March 2013

All was 3 rating until when I was rushing in the early morning to the airport. I was hit with 3 phony charges. Attempted to charge me for 15 phone calls that there was no answer. So do not left up the phone. Charge for internet that I bought for 1 hr but showed up 7 minuts remaimg as soon as I logged in. So, $25 I paid unjustly. Finally they wanted to charge me for a choclate bar and peanut bag which I did not know that they existed in the mini bar. This I did not pay and I was ready for confrontation because this is not a set of rules that you cannot argue. This was some thing to do with my knowledeg and act and therefore I will not pay for some thing I did not consume even if I have to miss my flight. Speaking the local language helped because I have seen these grapes before.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 March 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in March. Booking for 1 night very spontaneous, 82$ (weekend!). Reception was very nice and friendly. Upgrade to Executive Suite. very spacious and clean. breakfast was included but I preferred to sleep out.
Location is great, just off Hamra Street.
Second night was booked on the spot for same price, but was normal room. Was still ok in size. Everyone who complains about it being noisy: YOU ARE IN HAMRA DISTRICT. This is noisy. Lebanese car drivers like to horn. And yes, if you book a taxi via the hotel it's gonna be somewhat more expensive, as this is also a private company (and those drivers tend to drive more European, if you prefer that) but do you expect anything else in another country without metered fare? (First time I went to Beirut being a greenhorn I paid 40USD from airport to Hamra. Double of what would be a fair price.)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank ivobrown
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Arrived having booked on hotels.com and behold the room I'd reserved was unavailable. I was told it was on a floor that they were "spraying for bugs" and they didn't want me to "stay there and feel dizzy." Ruh oh. They offered me a smoking room (I don't smoke) with an espresso machine or a funny smelling larger room with three tiny beds.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JFMars
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This hotels is at the end of Hamra Street. This street has a lot of stores, places to eat but is also extremely busy with taxis and a lot of people.
The front desk employees were really nice and helpful when I asked for questions.
Free wifi.

I stayed for 9 nights and the room didn't got clean very much. The folded the bed cover, changed towels and took out the trash. They didn't clean much. The lobby always smell like smoke because of the restaurant on that floor.

Room Tip: My room was looking at the side to another building. I hope they don't give you the room that lo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2012

The price was excellent & location was great. I stayed a night at the beginning & 1 night at the end of my vacation. Both times, I was on the street side on the 6th floor & it was very noisy, but the bed was extremely comfortable. The windows didn't lock in my room the second night. Reception was very helpful. Overall, I enjoyed my stay here and would recommend to other travellers if you can sleep through traffic.

Room Tip: Ask for the Deluxe room (it has a coffee maker & expresso machine)
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Katikinnz
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Avoid staying here. Bad location deep in the heart of grid lock traffic and poor internal standards.
The reviews warned that Hamra St was noisy so I requested a quiet room - however I was still given the noisest possible room at the very front of the building on the second floor directly in front of the Hotel sign.
I could hear the guy BREATHING in the next room - he wasn't even snoring (at that point).
I requested non-smoking. Woken to the waft of cigarette smoke from under the adjoining door to mine from smokers in that room at 3am on successive nights. That was after plugging in the ear plugs because of the hotel's fan that started and never stopped in the ceiling (separate to the a/c unit) on the third night.
Requested a step-in shower which was offered when booking - but given a shower over a deep bath.
The towels were dirty (looked like dried blood), the better ones were just ragged. The housekeeping staff would come through taking the towels and then hours later replace them. Why not do it all at once? The towel rail was broken.
Given a room service breakfast menu the first night which was never to be seen again.
Booking online offered an airport pickup for US$25, which was already a ludicrous amount of money. On checkout they had upped it to an even more ripoff $30.
They seemed to have some deal going with the same unpleasant taxi driver out the front for rip off taxi prices.
The hall on the second floor reeked of paint - that'd be because there was a guy painting it slowly over three days with his gear to be navigated past.
Don't know how this has been rated 4 stars. It would have been more than worth the money to stay somewhere else in one of the other areas of Beirut at double the price.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 203 or 202 - insanely noisy facing the front onto Hamra St and have aircondition...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Reception was very helpful with good recommendations for restaurants such as Barbar. In contrast the restaurant on the ground floor of the hotel was very smoky and the food only adequate.

My room was spacious and clean, with sliding doors opening on to the small balcony overlooking the street. The doors did not lock, but I lost nothing so the room was secure enough, I guess.

• Stayed: June 2012