“Not Delivering what Promised”
Review of Desert Discovery

Desert Discovery
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Overall, I would choose another place. If you do choose this, do it just if you aren't alone and if everybody in your group is fine with having no comfort whatsoever. Beware that they do not offer what promised. In details:

Cons:

- I reached the place with a 5 min walk under the sun and 35 degrees, dragging a 25kg luggage uphill on the dunes. They knew I was there and despite this, nobody came to help.
- Prices on the website have not been updated since 2010 and they are higher now. Honestly I think this is a way for ripping off people. I complained and they made me some discount.
- They promise campfire and entertainment with a troupe of Bedouin musicians, dancers and singers. Never seen them.
- The staff was otherwise quite polite but NOT friendly and had zero enthusiasm.
- If you go alone be prepared to loneliness or bring a good book :) I was the only person in the whole camp, and for miles around. The staff is not sociable at all.
- If you go with girlfriend... Well, I had to hunt in my bedroom what I initially believed to be a scorpion, running everywhere, but was in fact some kind of weird big white spider, harmless I believe. I finally succeeded to catch it and to throw it out of my bedroom and I had to put something under the door for preventing other strange creatures from coming in.

Pros:

- Trip in the dunes was fun, as well as camel riding (which was not in their location, I had to go 5 min. from there).
- I had a praying mantis on my computer while watching a movie outside, never seen one before :)

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed one night in mid April and found the camp a bit lacking in what is promised. The staff checking us in had absolutely zero enthusiasm and the whole place suffered from a general malaise. We expected minimal, and it is certainly that. Be prepared for the extreme heat by April. A loud industrial fan is provided, but it simply pushes the hot air around. The dinner was fair (Indian) and breakfast was uninspired. we definitely didn't come for the food, but for the desert experience, and camel rides and traditional music as advertised were not available. No one even bothered to turn on the stereo in the eating area during meals. We did go on a 30 minute dune bashing which was fun even though our driver cut it short. I did appreciate waking up to sunrise in the dunes with the angled light and crisis crossing of desert animal tracks in the sand. It truly is a living and harsh place, but you might be better off at another camp.

1  Thank A M
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I used to be one of the owners of desert-discovery until 2009 when my partner (Said) suddenly stopped paying me. I have been in court with him for over 4 years now and it is very frustrating to learn that desert-discovery is still comfortably continuing it's business knowing that almost half the business is technically still mine... Said is indeed a well spoken man, very polite etc. but I have never met anyone in my life who is that good in hiding his true self. He is a criminal and I have a legal document in my hand from the court to pay me what is owed or he will have to go to jail. Unfortunately things are different from the west in Oman so the police doesn't do much...

I'm not a frustrated person and def. carry no hate but since the final decision of the court it is now 2 years that Said is supposed to be either in jail or pay his dues. I have tried everything but now I see no other option then to comment via this way cause it is my last hope that maybe this will make a change. What Said did to me and my family is terrible! I had a good life in Oman until he changed everything, right now I can't even pay for my ticket to go to Oman and see my lawyer...

Apart from that, yes, it is a beautiful camp and that's mainly because of me. I brought a full container from Egypt with the palm chairs and benches, decorating materials, Arabic lamps etc. Don't know how much of them are still there...

I hope with this message people will realize that they shouldn't support dishonest businesses, when I was still there we had a good relationship with the local bedou, and last time I spoke to one of them they are all very angry with desert- discovery (Said in particular) since they also found out that he is not an honest man.
I also learned from the court that I'm not the only person claiming from him, apparently there are more people like me who invested in the company and are not being paid...

It is sad that people like Said even exist in this world...

Stan

3  Thank Stanislawski
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I had a 2day tour with my family that was above my expectations!! Very well organized, the operator met us at the hotel and took us the most beautiful places of Oman, always very friendly and concerned with our well-being, good english and knowledge of the sites!! We stayed at their camp where they received us very well, with good service! The rooms in the camp are clean, bed is comfy and food is good!! We visited also the turtles beach (included on the 2day tour) where I had the most amazing experience (they even let you touch the turtle and take pictures the moment she release her eggs)!! It was Ramadan time so after the visit the guides took us to their house where served us local tea, food and sheesha, always with a smile on their faces and very happy to have us there!! The day after we went for a safari for the desert but before that we went to visit a local village (where our operator grew up) which despite of small is full of history and we could understand how the omani lived before they became a rich country!! Overall, I will always treasure those 2days with a special thanks to the operator which made me feel like he was part of the family and that it wasnt a family trip with an operator but rather a "whole" family trip :)

Reviewed 23 August 2013

I highly recommend Desert Discovery tours if you wish to sightsee and get to know Omani culture properly. All there is to know is at http://www.desertdiscovery.com/ but I will try to highlight the main cons.

First, they pick you at your Hotel so that there is no need for taxi expenses nor to get lost in beautiful Muscat. Said, our guide, proved to be very reliable, ponctual and quite knowledgeable. Over 2 days we drove along the coastline and activities were endless. For instance, we stopped by in different villages to testify Omani everyday life, we dared into wadis to enjoy the scenery and bath in those refreshing waters, we learned about cultural/religious/political issues in modern Oman and, of course, we went to the desert and saw the turtles delivering their eggs on the beach in the middle of the night! These were incredible moments during our first trip to Oman. Just to name a few.

Both camps were nicely located, clean and affordable. It is a plus that the organized trips of Desert Discover include accommodation, it just makes all the process of leaving Muscat to explore the inner country over some days so much easier! Meals are OK, no need to carry food in bags (just some water). Besides, the staff was friendly and I mean this. They were spontaneous and welcoming, we did not feel put apart for the fact of being tourists. In fact, we were invited to celebrate Ramadan together with the locals and this was unique. Oman is a hidden pearl, a beautiful country with warm hearted people. Highly recommended under guidance of Desert Discovery! :)