“Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear......”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Park Hotel

Le Park Hotel
Ranked #121 of 131 Hotels in Doha
Poland
“Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear......”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

When I was booked into this hotel I checked the reviews on TripAdvisor as a matter of course.
All but one scored a maximum 2 stars. All but one were hyper-critical and frankly appalling. I thought there had to be some exaggeration there, as nowhere, surely, could be that bad.

I was wrong. It is.

The hotel advertises itself as 4 star. This in itself is a huge exaggeration – I would rate it at no more than 2, in a good mood.

My apartment with kitchenette had a string of faults, not least a total absence of crockery, cutlery and cookware. To operate the microwave you have to unplug the fridge (which has a broken catch on the fridge door). The sink tap was merely balanced on its fitting, not secured at all. The internet reception was terrible – in fact, I had no connectivity at all, either via wi-fi or via the twenty foot cable coiled up on the lounge area floor and running down from the kitchen ceiling. There were only 4 flimsy wire clothes hangers, the type that your shirts come back on from the dry cleaners, in the wardrobe, none of them strong enough on which to hang a suit. The bedside lamp has a (bent) European two-pin plug, despite the wall socket being a UK three-pin that was hidden behind the bedside chest of drawers in any case. In the bathroom, the glass shelf over the sink was so badly secured that it was in danger of falling off the wall, and hung down so badly the tap could not be properly operated for fear of breaking the shelf. I spent a half hour taking photos to pass on to the people who had made the booking for me, in support of the list of complaints I handed over next morning.

The rest of the complaints in earlier reviews are equally valid. With one or two exceptions, the hotel staff are surly and unhelpful, their faces tending to glaze over into an expressionless mask when you ask for something or make yet another complaint. The cleaners insist on turning on the air-con unit with the fan running at full blast and the temperature set at 15, so that the room is like an ice box when I get back from work. Every day I switch it all off to allow the place to warm up, every morning I leave a(nother) message at Reception asking that under no circumstances should the unit be switched back on. Every day I’m wasting my breath.

There is still building work going on. The roof terrace and pool is still a building site, complete with a huge pile of sand and a cement mixer. It also boasts a group of possibly deaf or illiterate labourers who start pounding on the site with heavy claw hammers at 6 a.m. Given that my room is directly underneath, this is (to say the least) annoying. I left messages about this with Reception, to no effect. On Wednesday, as I was doing so again, I noticed the builders standing by the cradle they use to winch themselves to the roof, watching and laughing. We had a full and frank exchange of views in which I requested they cease and desist their early starts, at least until 7:30. Another waste of breath: this morning (Thursday) the hammering started at 6:15. I think they were surprised when I stormed on to the roof in a pair of shorts yelling at them to stop…..but at least they did so.

I have asked every day to speak to the Duty Manager, who is supposed to work from 8:00 til 5:30 according to Reception. He has been conspicuous by his absence every day so far at 8:30 when I leave for work, but clearly is away on time as he’s never there when I get back at 5:45. He probably wouldn’t care either. It seems there is no evening or night duty manager – odd for a 4 star establishment, don’t you think?

To be fair, most of the problems have now been fixed after regular intervention by the bank where I’m working and, of course, constant contact with me: I can be like a dog with a bone when the mood takes me. The internet is still dead on wi-fi but works (mostly) via a re-fitted cable, and the plumbing and bathroom shelf are fixed. I have decent clothes hangers now, some crockery and cutlery (enough for two people allegedly), but since the hotel still refuses point blank to provide cooking gear most of it doesn’t get used – mainly cups, saucers and tea spoons that the cleaners kindly take away to wash up every day but never replace until I call Reception (again!) in the evening.

I’m supposed to be staying long-term, through to March probably, but in any event to the middle of November this trip. But frankly, I don’t think I want to.

Recommendation? Simple – do NOT choose this hotel. Unless, of course, you’re a masochist.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank TravlinBobPoland

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
austria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

The worst service I have ever seen....

Good: are the rooms, beds and cleaning
Bad: any kind of service is bad this is including staff and supervisors.

There's one receptionist there you will be lucky if you meet here :///

Room Tip: City view are better
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank lodi011
mohamed b, Director of Sales at Le Park Hotel, responded to this review, 28 December 2016
Thank you for your review , now things has been changed since the hotel was going through complete renovation operation .

2016 Hope every thing is better now , see new photos lately uploaded by hotel management .

Best Regards

Travellers are raving about these Doha hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

Where do I start, room. Ok, no Internet, no cooking utensils, pots pans nothing. 3 rooms, 2 televisions and 3 different microwave ovens and all this in only 2 weeks. It is a lone walk from anywhere, the staff are not interested in assisting you. The hole/pool on the roof is a death trap, not that it's in use. The gym, well, this consists of a tredmill, 2 stationary bikes both broken, a multi gym that is not working due to all of the cables being entangled or broken. The cost of food is way to high and is tasteless. Stay well away.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Nigeboxer
Thank you for your review , now things has been change since the hotel was going through complete renovation operation .

Best Regards

Doha, Qatar
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

upon arrival at this hotel. i was told that the room my company had booked was unavailable so i was downgraded 2 room types. after i had found my room, i noted that the airconditioning in the room was not working, the kitchenette taps were leaking, the TV did not work, the shower had no head on it. mould was around the bath tub, the matress was old and the springs had gone, there was no internet, all but 1 lightbulb had blown, the microwave was broken and my view was of another building 5m way.

although i complained about these items, every morning, and every evening for 5 days. still nothing was done. As a business traveller, i was in need of an Iron for my Shirts and trousers etc. again, after 5 days of asking still no sign. i had to request crockery and cutlery to be brought to my room as there wasn't even a glass in the room. Even the swimming pool was empty, though they advertise it as being open. although the hallways smell of garbage as the rubbish shoots are broken.

my complaints were dealt with with tuts and groans, even the manager say he couldnt be bothered to solve the issues. This is the most poorly staffed, poorly operated hotel i have ever heard of. they class themsleves as a 4* hotel. however i would call derelict.

My 3 month stay at this hotel lasted 6 days. the worst 6 days of my life...!!!

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel, it should be knocked down...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank CJGraham
doha, qatar
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

Was really quite far from anywhere. Staff weren't very friendly and seemed to assune you'd know pretty important things like how internet worked by telepathy. The pool was again out of order which since this was the one reason I chose this pissed me off before I'd even started. In this sense I also felt a bit ripped off as the Crystal Palace hotel is much cheaper and looks exactly the same. The frequency with which this pool is out of order means I would accuse them of false advertising and am going to try to get some money back..

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank claredoherty01
Faringdon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2009

Most of Doha seems like a construction site, and this hotel is no exception. If I were local, drove their with my family and a car full of self-catering appliances, and stayed for a fortnight, it would have been possible to make the most of it. To explain; large rooms, well furnished, but devoid of ANY utencils. Good size kitchen area with microwave, large fridge, cooker, etc. but not a teaspoon, cup, plate or pan in the room. Bathroom was musty and all the fittings loose. Huge empty display cabinets in the sitting room. Poor TV connections. WiFi and even mobile phone signals only in certain locations; literally in the corner of the bedroom. Huge wardrobes: no coathangers. I think the hotel had recently changed it's name, because the soap and towels all seemed to be labelled as coming from somewhere else. Room service was a complete rip-off. The staff had no initiative, to the point of being ineffective. All in all, a disappointment and quite hard work. If I had to go back, I'd be prepared, and hope this review forewarns others.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank AGSwallow
Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2008

I arrived today for a 2 day stay. I had heard it was a fairly new hotel from a friend of mine. The hotel is fine. The rooms are clean and spacious and have comfortable furniture. They had a nice digital thermostat. There was a kitchen, but no dishes or utensils. The bed was a bit of a letdown. Overall the room would have been fine and above expectations if it were not the following:

The issues started when I first called to book the room. I explained that I qualified for a discounted rate and they agreed. They could not reserve the room on the phone. They asked me to go to bookings.com and book the room. I did, but the website never gave me the option to get the discounted rate. When I checked in and asked about it, they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about, even though I had a copy of an e-mail from the hotel with that rate quoted.

They had booked me a room with a single large bed. When I got here, I was told they did not have that room and they put me in a room with two small beds. They offered to move me the next day. I hate the thought of having to pack back up and move less than 24 hours after the initial check in.

They were out of keys! This really pissed me off. They let me in the room and told me they'd bring me a key later. I waited for about 30 minutes and then I left for dinner. When I got back, they had changed shifts and the night shift didn't have a clue what I was talking about. They finally let me back in the room (still no keys). Now I feel like a prisoner in the room. I can't even go get a bottle of water or a bite to eat without having to go down to the lobby and beg to be let back in my own room. The last word was that I'd get a key sometime tomorrow.

There was nothing in the room advising you how to connect to the internet. The first call to the front desk led me to believe the only option was wireless. I could barely pick up a wireless signal, and then only in the kitchen. A few hours later when I called to complain, they told me there was a wall jack and if I had my own LAN cable, I could connect to the internet. They could not tell me where this jack was. I found it next to the phone jack and it worked fine.

The reception on the TV was very poor to the point of you not wanting to watch it. This was not corrected.

The refrigerator was barely cool.

The pool was closed for repair.

The staff was nice but they were not able to solve any of my issues. If time had allowed, I'd had just left and found somewhere else. I'm on a very tight schedule, so I stuck with what I got.

The sad part is, for the money, it could be a great little place. It's next door to a larger and nicer hotel that has some good restaurants. As it stands, I'll likely not return and I'll advise others to look elsewhere.

• Liked — Room size
  • Disliked — internet / service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Kevin R