“Superb place .. rock & roll feel!”

W Doha Hotel & Residences
Ranked #1 of 133 Hotels in Doha
mumbai
“Superb place .. rock & roll feel!”
Reviewed 14 May 2010

Fantastic hotel .. great staff , very warm yet respects privacy. Superb rooms, waham lounge , restaurant , lobby .. one of the best hotels i have ever stayed!

Keep it up W Hotel .. WOW!

1 Thank abhijitbarua
WDoha, Manager at W Doha Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 19 May 2010
Well hello there,

Thank you for your recent review, we were delighted you loved the hotel, or W'uved the hotel as we like to say here at W!

We look forward to having you back where you can Rock and Roll once more.

The W Doha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 29 April 2010

As a regular visitor to Doha, I've stayed at many of the hotels in the city. I chose the W because it was new and stays at other Ws around the world have generally been good.
The decor is certainly intended to give the wow factor - if that is something that is important, then visit now before the furnishings start looking tired. Unlike other hotels, this one steers clear of acres of marble and sparkly lights in favour of clean lines, a simple colour scheme and low level lighting. In fact, the hotel is noticeably darker than its peers.
The hotel feels, particularly in the evening, that it its Friday night (or perhaps Thursday night in the Middle East!) ever evening. The muzak system pumps out something with a heavy base beat, the hotel is dimly lit and guests coming in seem to be dressed up to the nines.
The hotel is new so I suspect there are some service issues that still need to be resolved. Simple requests like having laundry folded rather than on hangers were overlooked. The breakfast selection was fine, although the dining room feel a little small and the selection was more limited than other peers in Doha.
Perhaps the biggest drawback the the W are its leisure facilites. The pool is an odd shape and designed more to be lounged around rather than swam in. The gym is similarly small and modestly equipped. Surprisingly, there are no changing rooms for either of these facilities and hotel staff suggest guests change in their rooms.
The bar/restaurant (Wahm) continues the theme of pumping base beats - it is, like the rest of the hotel, dark and dimly lit; service is friendly but can be slow at times (especially if you're sitting outside - the staff tend not to come by to check if you want to order more; we ate once here - the food was average bar food - certainkt nothing spectacular.
The room is well appointed with a comfortable bed (in line with most Starwood hotels), large flat screen tv with interactive features (eg. movies, internet radio, view bill functions - this seems to be curiously absent in a number of hotels in the Middle East), ample bathroom with bathtub and shower cubicle and ceiling to floor windows. The only downside is the vibrations and hum from the nearby building works could be heard fairly clearly.
Location is fine - it's a 20 minute drive to the airport and good if you have business in West Bay, but then nowhere in Doha is very far away.

1 Thank Neil G
WDoha, Manager at W Doha Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 1 May 2010
Well hello there,

Thank you for your recent review, we certainly appreciate the time and effort.

We're glad you felt the WOW with the design, as we are very proud of how the hotel looks and feels, however we were disappointed that you did not feel the WOW with the service, as this is something that we pride ourselves on.

We have addressed your concerns regarding the services and the food quality with the relevant managers and I can assure you that they are looking into the situations you mentioned. We have already added some additional options to our breakfast buffet, and our guests have been impressed with the additional selection.

One other thing you will be pleased to know is that we are working on changing rooms for the Wet area.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, should you wish to discuss anything further, please let me know a convenient time that I can reach you.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Doha.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2010

The thing that will stick in my mind from this hotel is the comfort of the beds. You just sink into the beds and pillows. The rooms were very nice as was the hotel. I was here for a conference so didn't really leave. It appeared to be the place to go in Doha, not only for tourists, but for locals alike.
Highly recommend.
From what I saw, Doha itself is very similar to other cities in the Region - lots of cranes, lots of dust...

1 Thank Ferg21
Well hello there,

Thank you for the review, we were very happy you managed to wake from our Signature W Beds and explore the hotel. They're comfortable aren't they!

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Doha (hopefully there will not be as much dust in Doha then).

Dover, New Hampshire
Reviewed 23 April 2010

My wife and I had a fabulous stay at W Doha. The rooms and the overall hotel look very new , well maintained. But for my wife and I what really counts is service. This is where the W really shines. They obviously took great care in hiring the right people and trained them very well. But what really impressed us wa something that can't be taught, genuine caring. Throughout our stay the staff made special efforts to accomodate our sometimes difficult requests. The way in which they did this made us feel that they were glad we were staying in their hotel. From Samuel who answered the phone to JR at the door, Dan at the VIP lounge and Marina at reception their service and caring was exceptional. The Friday brunch although a bit pricey was excellent and worth the price. One thing I didn't like but is all too commom these days is the high price water that is not included as part of the buffet although all you can drink Moet champagne was. This I don't understand. When all is said and done we wholeheartedly reccomend the W Doha.

1 Thank DesertDave611
Well hello there,

Thank you for your recent review, we were so delighted that you enjoyed your experience.

We really do believe in our service committment of Whatever Whenever, and were delighted to hear you experienced this first hand. The talent you mentioned are all fantastic Ambassadors of the hotel and can assure you their efforts will be recognised.

We appreciate your comments about the water in the restaurant and will look into reviewing this, but don't worry, the Champagne will be there to stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Doha.

London
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Overall the hotel is good. I would rate it on a par with many in Doha. Rooms and beds are excellent. The noisy location can be an issue for some. Overly "chic"

The good:
- Well presented hotel, very chic
- Rooms and bed were excellent
- Restaurants are good. Sushi night in Spice Market in particular is excellent. Steaks in the Caviar place downstairs were delicious.
- Close to the City Centre mall so you can walk over
- Car service very efficient and cars are immaculate
- "Platinum Lounge" for Starwood Platinum members for one hour in Crystal Lounge

The bad:
- The continuous "W-ness" of the place. It just gets a bit tired after a few days. "What is your wish...", "whatever, whenever....". It's a little like living in a nightclub 24/7. Some though will like this
- On all of my visits there has been building work going on day and night (24hrs) around the hotel. On the first visit continuous drilling all night was a major issue. It seems to have calmed down somewhat but it's still a significant source of noise
- Some of the staff are very competent, some not at all. You soon get to recognise who is and get them to sort your problems out. They lost two DHLs (these presumably where "wherever" and "whoever" had put them there), they also lost my laundry twice and delivered my room service to the wrong room. Every time it eventually got sorted out (after I found one of the competent staff members and got them to investigate) but it was irritating.
- Car service expensive and impossible to get a regular taxi
- The pool and pool area are very small and face a building site. Pool was out of operation for at least 3 of my visits. This was actually a good thing as they arranged for me to go to the Sheraton. It was finally working this last visit, it was very cold and small. There is a sort of "trough" for swimming lengths next to it also.
- Gets very busy on a Thursday and Friday night later on as the Crystal Lounge is a popular nightspot in Doha.
- Condescending attitude to hotel guests and how they dress. They have several times "suggested I change" before going to the hotel bar (didn't like my jeans or something like that). I have several times "suggested I don't".

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank LiveLondonWorkParis
WDoha, Manager at W Doha Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 23 April 2010
Well hello there,

Thank you for your recent review, we certainly appreciate the time taken to provide some valuable feedback for the hotel.

We were sorry to hear about the challenges you faced. The situation with the noise around the hotel seems to have stopped, the working hours of the construction sites are alot more restricted, so we have not experienced any further challenges.

Taxi's are an ongoing challenge in Doha, and as such is on of the reasons we use an external company. This is actually the practice of all the 5 star hotels in Doha, however we are very flexible and can organise alternatives for you. I'm sorry that this was not communicated to you.

In regards to the inconsistent service, I can assure you your comments have been taken very seriously and have been passed on to all the relevant departmental managers so that they can address with their teams.

We take our service commitment of Whatever Whenever very seriously and assure you the challenges you experienced were the exception and not the norm.

Should you wish to discuss your experiences further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

maryland
Reviewed 18 April 2010

I will give the good reviews first........
1. We were upgraded to a fabulous room from a marvelous and we were given an early check-in.
2. The hotel is in a good location. Close to City centre and within walking distance.
3. The room was very spacious and quiet.
4. We had access to the lounge so we had happy hour. For exactly an hour to the minute !!!!
5. The pool is to die for and the cabana's.

These areas need work immediately......
1. The housekeeping department left hair in our shower which is pure unsanitary and disgusting !!!!
2. Due to our room not being available upon checkin and the upgrade, we were placed on another floor. So gaining entry to the lounge area we had to keep explaining we did have lounge access. Instead of putting us on the roster, we were omitted, and they had to keep running to the desk for approval. A pain in the butt !!!
3. We were 5 minutes early for the lounge and they waited 5 minutes to begin serving us drinks, and told us we had to be completely finished the one drink BEFORE ordering another. ( I didn't know the liquor was coming from their paychecks)
4. The breakfast buffet, all of the food was merely lukewarm . Poor service when you are paying these prices !!!!

Overall, it's a beautiful hotel, but they need to step up their game !!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
WDoha, Manager at W Doha Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 24 April 2010
Well hello there,

Thank you for your recent review, we certainly appreciate the time taken to provide us with some very valuable feedback. We are continually looking at improving our service, and it is feedback such as yours that allows us to do so.

I would like to assure you that we place very high standards on cleanliness at the hotel, so I was very concerned to hear that this was not met. We are currrntly reviewing our room inspection process, however can assure you that this was an exception and not the norm with our rooms.

I am delighted that you had the opportunity to try our new WIP Lounge, we feel this is a great addition for our guests and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I am sorry for the confusion with gaining access, as well as our strict "time keeping" policy. This has already been addressed by our General Manager and will not happen again in the future for any of our guests.

Once again, thank you for the feedback, however should you wish to discuss the issues raised further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the W Doha in the near future.

Montesson, France
Reviewed 12 April 2010

I normally stay at the Intercontinental but as they were full the agency put me in the W. Wow, what a pleasant surprise. I arrived at 6 in the morning and the room was ready. When I say room, I mean apartment. I have lived in smaller places. It had two bedrooms, three bathrooms, a kitchen and a lounge - all for me. Must be the best upgrade ever. It was super quiet, the beds extremely comfortable and I slept very well. Room service was efficient. Breakfast was OK but no much of a variety for the buffet. Valet parking for the cars was a bit of annoyance when you are in a hurry and it's apparently unavoidable. Very convenient for the City Center Mall and downtown. Bars were glitzy but a bit loud for me. Nice hotel, full of style.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Tonytourist
WDoha, Manager at W Doha Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 26 April 2010
Well hello there,

Thank you for your recent review, we were delighted to hear your enjoyed the hotel and the upgrade, we were pleased you managed to find your way out of the room to explore the other facilities of the hotel!

Please accept my sincere apologies for the few challenges you experienced, we have actually revised our breakfast set up, so on your next stay you will notice alot more options for you.

I'm sorry for the delay with the Wheels, this certainly can be avoided. I have passed your comments on to the concerned department so that they can address accordingly.

Once again, we thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Doha...our W Bed is waiting!

The W Doha