“Grand Qatar Palace: Not So Grand!”

Grand Qatar Palace Hotel
Ranked #97 of 140 Hotels in Doha
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Last year whilst in Doha on business, I stayed at the Wyndam Grand and was not complimentary.
Basically, it is a dry hotel. Its check in procedures were bizarre and there were room problems. Well, maybe I was a bit harsh, or maybe a year can dull your memories because this time in Doha, staying at the Grand Qatar Palace, the Wyhdam seems wonderful.
In a nutshell, in Doha, you want a drink right? Not at the GQP. Like a toilet the flushes right? Not at the GQP. Expect the toilet to be fixed after a very courteous complaint right? Not on your life! Instead I got a scrawled note left on the toilet that it presumably is my fault because I dared use toilet paper! ( see photo). Guess what, the toilet still does not flush.
You know those sweets most hotels have at reception? Don't try these at the GQP. They are not real and you could end up in hospital having swallowed a glass imitation sweet! Think I'm kidding right? I wish. When I asked the girl at reception, she said they were there for decoration purposes!
The GQP is right opposite a petrol station so I guess if you need to fill up, this place is convenient.
Oh did I mention the all-night noise in the ceiling? I didn't? How would you liked to have a serenade of equipment being moved around until late and then first thing at 5:30am? Nice touch!
Oh and the electronic safe did not work. When I rang And asked, they told me yes it did not work but don't worry nobody will come into your room. Very reassuring.
The Grand Qatar Palace Hotel in Doha. Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: My room was large and spacious but the safe did not work and not did the toilet. Pretty basic stuff...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank artiemac
Grand Qatar Pal... H, Manager at Grand Qatar Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Dear Mr. Artiemac,

Thank you for the review given on Trip Advisor. Your opinion is very helpful for our improvement. It is with my great regret that you have been given this type of service in our hotel. I would surely investigate the said matter and would do the appropriate actions to prevent the re-occurrence of the said event. Rest assured if you would give us a chance, We wish you would be staying with us again and I guarantee that this time I would personally look into giving you the best service we can.

Hoping to see you again soon in the future and once again thank you for the feed backs provided.

Best Regards,

July Besabella

Reviewed 4 February 2013

I was in Doha for 3 nights for business trip stayed in this hotel Room was very big and well maintained with double bed.
Pool is on 11 th floor with Gym and message centre , breakfast was with lot indian stuff.thay have airport pickup at free of cost.
All in all I was enjoyed here will be coming back here.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Stayed for a one night in this hotel. I would rate it as an average hotel.
The room was clean and neat but small, only complimentary water (no coffee or tea...).
Services are good though, and staff is very helpful
Satellite TV with over 600 channels but no sports channels ...
Free wifi but connection was so bad.
Breakfast very poor!! too much indian food,and the breakfast room was so dim,,you think its a dinner time..
Overall, not bad for a one night stay only

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2013

The hotel is quite economical. Location is convenient. It is near the old Doha places. Nearest mall is Souq Waqif.
Breafast is just about ok. Rooms are small. Internet access is good. good place for short stay and for the cost conscious. Conveience stores near by which makes life easy

Room Tip: Ask for the front facing rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Me and my wife were here just for one night during a stop over in Doha.During check in which lasted a little bit longer than usual have been asked if we were married because as for our documents (not yet updated) it seemed not. I suggest everyone during booking the hotel in Doha to check all the requirements of the islamic laws.
Next to our room a big costruction yard where workers start at 5.00 A.M.It's not possible to sleep anymore. Tv not working well.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Massifly
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Although Qatar itself is a very dry-desert type of place, but the people here have maintained a good standard of living.
Grand Plaza is very near to the airport, and taxis are easily available. The roads are huge, so no problem reaching in time!
Conditions of rooms is comfortable, cleanliness and hygiene is maintained. Best thing is the facilities they provide starting from ACs to TV to toilet necessities.
Overall a 4-star rating. It is worth staying!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SVashist
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We were put in this hotel for one night when we were forced to stop over in Doha due to a missed flight connection.

We did not get to see much of the facilities, but the room was clean, well air-conditioned and spacious enough. The hotel was only 5 minutes from the airport. The staff were friendly and efficient - no complaints.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple