“An Exceptional Stay for Extremely Demanding Quests!”
Review of The Torch Doha

The Torch Doha
Ranked #27 of 140 Hotels in Doha
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is our second visit here, and glad to be back.
The Torch is built in the shape of an Olympic type torch and truly is an incredible feat of engineering with an amazing eternal light show at night. It stands plumb and is surrounded by stadium, pitches and arenas. The interior is built around the central circular pillars –an avant-garde art! It cannot be missed because it is visible from miles away and becomes even more attractive when it shows off its lights at night. It is spectacular!

LOCATION: Right at the centre of the Aspire Zone –the majestic sports city of Doha!

CHECK-IN: Quick check in, the service was efficient and the staff friendly.

STAFF/SERVICE: I was impressed by the customer service, and throughout our stay we were treated like VIP guests. A huge thanks goes to Claudia the communications manager who although very busy, she would call to see if everything was ok. You seldom come across such outstanding and impeccable service. I cannot say enough about this hospitable, delightful venue. I want to thank them all from the bell boy to the reception, and the management. They know well how to make guests feel important and valued.

ROOM: We were accompanied by Sahran to the glass elevators and up to our Deluxe room #1107, where with discreet he explained about the amenities of our fancy and high-tech room.
I cannot say that our room was big, but it was functional, designed to provide optimum relaxation to the guests.

With the iPad one can control remotely almost everything; depending on your mood, the colour of the back lighting of the bedroom changes to 12 different colours and you can create the atmosphere you wish. I guess this is the highlight of the rooms. In the same way you can call the room service, turn on/off TV, radio, music, create your own playlist from the song choices, open/close curtains/blinds.

The King Bed was extremely comfortable. Through the 3 week stay in Doha this proved to be the most comfortable of all.

The nice long and Work Desk clustered with magazines, leaflets & hotel info proved handy. Complimentary WiFi adequate for normal Internet usage with a reasonable speed throughout the premises.

The room has a huge double glazed wall (window) but the view is obstructed by the mesh system on the outside of the structure. However this is the character of the hotel and it cannot be otherwise. Desiring an unobstructed view one may get to the 47th floor (revolving restaurant).
A nice touch from the management which is highly appreciated is the Complimentary mini bar (first stock) after you finish the contents you pay the next lot. Coffee/tea facilities, an Espresso machine. Some fruit in a platter and unlimited water.

The Cupboard was normal with plenty of drawers and space. (Safe box, hair dryer, slippers).

BATHROOM: Elegant, spacious with impressive features. There is both a bath tab and a separate walk in shower room (rainfall style) Luxurious bathrobes and towels which pleasantly smell freshness.

Ample of toiletries (a signature scent) –the Asprey Purple Water products which are synonymous with luxury and refinement. The products reveal a fresh citrus fragrance blended with spicy undertones. I can’t think of any other brand or amenity that can enrich the guest’s experience better.

BREAKFAST: It was sumptuous! Live cooking stations. Judging from the variety, quality, presentation, taste, the impeccable and professional service of the staff at the Flying Carpet and the ambience, I can tell that it was one of the best I had for years….if not the Very Best! Mouna, Mari and Jane were exceptional as well as Wael. Thank you guys for this extra touch of customer service. You are precious to the Torch.

BEVERAGE: An alcohol free hotel like most hotels in Doha, but at least here there is an excuse. Many of the customers are athletes so the hotel promotes healthy alternatives/ sports lifestyle, but of course there are excellent mock cocktails (mocktails) which are irresistible.

POOL: When you come to the pool you feel as if you are in the air. The views are stunning, the pool is not that big but once you are here you should experience this feeling of swimming out on the 19th floor.

RESTAURANTS: Last year we had dinner at the Three Sixty which is located on the 47th floor. The view from out there is stunning and you can see the whole of Doha as the floor revolves around. Gourmet dishes, and amazing piano music ideal for a romantic outings. I did not dine here this time so I cannot comment further about this specific restaurant.

FLYING CARPET: Located on the Mezzanine 2nd level, this amazing all-day dining restaurant exceeded our expectations.

STAFF/SERVICE: An unbeatable team of professionals in every way, courteous and attentive. They made sure that we were perfectly content throughout the entire meal.

AMBIENCE: Seeing the flying carpets hanging from the ceiling and its beautiful interior that carries the guest, I felt as if I were part of an Arabian Night’s tale. If the theme of the cuisine was dedicated to the Arab (Persian Gulf Cuisine) that night, it would have by all means be the perfect experience!

It was the Mexican theme night instead. I have to admit I was reticent at first as I am not a huge fan of this kind of cuisine and thought I would be disappointed. How wrong I was!

The first impression was the presentation. Wow! Everything was nicely laid out, the buffet was rich with a great selection of Mexican delicacies. There were amazing dips, salads and a variety of Mexican salsa, hot appetizers, Guacamole, Tortilla, Enchiladas, Tacos, Mexican spicy rice and many more. The selection was impressive, and I enjoyed nibbling different things. I loved the hot appetizers!

Of course there was the open kitchen with (salmon fillet, Beef Rib Eye, Chicken Skewer, Prawns) cooked fresh in front of you. Of course that night, I preferred to try the Mexican cuisine instead and I did not regret it.

The taste was great, -a proof that the ingredients were excellent, and I enjoyed everything I put on my plate. There was a great selection of delectable desserts, puddings, and cakes, all nicely presented and of exquisite taste.

THE ROUND AREA: The perfect area to combine sports and leisure where guests of the Torch have complimentary access to the Aspire Park -an oasis of 88 hectare precinct with running tracks and open green spaces. The small internal lake is a center of attraction ideal for picnics, jogging, or simply having a stroll.

VILLAGIO: A paradise for shopping and entertainment. It is amazing how the Torch is connected to the Villaggio Mall through an air-conditioned walkway. It makes it convenient for guests of the hotel avoiding the heat and walk to the Mall through this tunnel. The experience of shopping out here is unique and you have a feeling that you are doing your shopping in Venice. There are gondolas and balcony interior settings. It is a place where you can find plenty of entertainment for the kids, fashionable line restaurants, themed retail areas, cinemas, even an ice rink. During our 5 day stay in this area and even though we spent much time in the Mall, we hardly saw one or two gondola rides. This is probably because the fee is still quite expensive.

IN ALL: The Torch is a beautiful hotel with great potential, a haven for sports enthusiasts, businessmen, for the discerning travelers and health and wellness seekers. I long to return when back to Doha again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank greekcypriot2009
Claudia O, Manager at The Torch Doha, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2015

Good day,

Greetings from THE TORCH DOHA!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your valuable feedback.

We were delighted to welcome you to the hotel and we are glad to hear that you have enjoyed our hotel and service.

Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,

Pawel Mrozek

Food & Beverage Service Manager

Reviewed 4 January 2014

It was our first visit to the Torch today and a special occasion for my dad's birthday. We were a party of 6 adults and 4 children aged 3-6 years. We all enjoyed the experience thoroughly. The view from the 360 revolving floor gave us an amazing view of Doha and kept the kids interested for 2 hours. The menu choice was varied and suited everyone and the quality of food and service was outstanding. We will be back again for sure…..

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Arrived and there was chaos as I was visiting again for a match, but the entry was smooth.

I had been warned that there were no rooms available that day unless I was willing to wait until after 5 pm for a room, and I had agreed. We arrived by noon, and I asked the reception staff to see if we could get a room earlier, and she was on top of it, and got my room around 2pm (much earlier than promised). Well done.

Check-In was time was fairly good. I say this because on the first visit it was tremendously slow.

There was chaos throughout the hotel as both teams were staying there, but everything was more or less organised.

We had lunch at the buffet and the quality was very good, but maybe some more dishes for kids would be appreciated.

Staff was very very helpful at all times, and they seemed more prepared than the first visit I had had.

Love the property, but I only stay here when i come for the football, as the distance from the centre of Doha is big. A little nearer and would not mind being 10 minutes away form the centre as the property and staff are well worth it.

Shame its dry!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We came again to celebrate my husbands birthday. We were all looking forward to a pleasant evening. My first impression of entering the restaurant on the 47 floor was…
the carpet looks really grotty….

We received a warm welcome and were shown to our table.

Admired the view and chose our meal. We had chosen parmesan Chicken x 2 and a Pasta dish.

We decided not to go for a starter and I was a little surprised when the waiter said he the meal would be about 30 mins. That explained why he pushed the starters or a sharing plate. I thought no problem if the meal is cooked from fresh.

The waiter came to clear and asked if there was a problem with the meal.
Yes I said unfortunately the chicken is dry and overcooked and the vegetables have no taste whatsoever. The parmesan sauce was good and my husband's pasta dish was excellent.

The manager arrived. I said how disappointed we were and that it was my husband's birthday.

He was delightful. He had only been there for three months and he said they were in the process of redoing the menus and the whole place was up for total refurbishment. Not before time. The 360 had only been open for 2 years. It is the only restaurant of this caliber outside of Doha city centre.
The new lounge on the 51st floor was opening in three weeks.

The manager, I'm sorry I can't remember his name, he'd come from St Andrews in Scotland, was perfectly charming.

He offered us an alternative meal but we chose to go on to desserts. All delicious. Ice cream Cassarta and Chocolate fudge cake.

The waiter then surprised us with a lovely birthday cake, for my husband!

We were not charged for the two meals. We left a little disappointed but we do intend to try to return for the afternoon tea.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We spent an hour and a half having tea at the revolving restaurant watching Doha go slowly past. Worth the £25 per head for the experience of high tea, scones and cakes. We went mid week (nov) and we had the restaurant all to ourselves. Take your camera, take plenty of snaps and watch the sunset fall over Doha. The Villaggio mall is next door and also close to the the Aspire park and Kalifa Stadium.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alan D
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights at the end of our holiday to Thailand. Rooms were fabulous, gadgets everywhere, squeaky clean & well designed. Breakfast was amazing service included!
Would defiantly stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I'm an American living in Doha who's driven, walked and jogged by The Torch hundreds of times in the last 5.5 yrs. I dined in the 360 Restaurant once and it was lovely. Also went to a media function a few months ago on the 2nd level.

Today I arrived at The Torch and checked in, had a wonderful lunch with 3 friends, and am staying one night. Everything exceeded my expectations from communication ahead of time, lobby/reception check-in, to the bellboy, and the room itself. WOW! 4 of us enjoyed an enormous buffet at the Flying Carpet and even met the General Manager and other high level staff. The view was a bit hazy today but the food--shrimp, pasta, fish, soups, salads, meats, etc... was divine. They surprised me with a birthday cake and treated me like royalty. I would like to mention Claudia Olaru who has a management position and who answered myriad emails before my visit. She greeted us and shared about her life and was splendid. The GM, Mr. Gerhard Foltin was incredibly gracious and accommodating, as was the sales manager. I returned to my room to find yet another surprise birthday cake. Good Lord, how can I eat even more!?? I also was informed that my breakfast would be "complimentary" tomorrow. Again, WOW. I have visited the lobby, the amazing pool deck, the restaurant, and my room. I can't say enough about this hospitable, delightful venue. I highly recommend The Torch...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo