“Good value for stopover”

Kingsgate Hotel Doha
Ranked #53 of 131 Hotels in Doha
Marrakech, Morocco
“Good value for stopover”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Had only a half day stopover so we just needed a cheap place near the sights, at £50 (room only) this fitted the bill. Large, clean room with kitchenette and a partial Corniche view - tea and coffee provided plus a couple of complimentaty bottles of water.

Arrived late in the night (around 30/40QAR and 10 mins from airport) and were quickly checked in.
Decent free wifi and we were also allowed a late check out which was very helpful with our flight times.

The only negative is that the area immediately around the hotel is quite run down, but still the location is great for sightseeing as walking distance to the Museum of Islamic Art or Souq Waqif for plenty of restaurants.

Room Tip: Must be great views from higher sea facing floors
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Arabic first
Washington State
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

This might be the best combination of location and cost in town. Easy walk to the Souq Waqif and short distance to the Museum of Islamic Art. A promenade along the corniche starts close to the hotel, but realize it is a long walk to the Sheridan Hotel on the other end of the cornice, so consider going across the bay by dhow if short on time.

Likewise, if you are planning a visit to the huge, ultra-modern City Center mall, then consider a taxi, since a maze of construction awaits the walker.

So the hotel is very well located. Breakfast is not included, but restaurant is OK. Ask for a sea-view room. If you are lucky and get a corner room, then you will probably have a view of the Soug and bay!

Room Tip: Great combination of location and value!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Poppadoc
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

I had booked a sea-view room but was initially taken to a standard room. It was large but a little the worse for wear and with a very noisy air-conditioner. When I realised my outlook was a carpark I went down to reception who immediately rectified the error. I was then put on the 9th floor facing the corniche. The view was great especially when the city lights were illuminating the Islamic Cultural Centre. The room itself was smaller, but in much better condition and I was pleased I had made the decision to pay a little more. Breakfast was included and it was fine - nothing special but enough choice. The location for the hotel is excellent and it is a short walk to the major sights. From my room I could see the souq so it made finding my way very easy. The staff were very friendly and helpful and a taxi from the airport was only 30 rials. This is not a luxurious hotel but it is comfortable with a reasonable gym and in a great location. Recommended if you want ease of access to tourist sites without the hassle of using taxis and are not looking for 5 star.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Maksmum
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

When I was preparing to move to Doha, back in May 2013, I was recommended 2-3 places to stay. One of them was Ezdan which is just a walking distance from my office but I decided to try Kingsgate Hotel as Ezdan seems to be a hit and miss. And it lived up to all sensible reviews it has received in here. For me one of the things I loved about it was the location. Yes if you walk towards the back of the hotel, you end up walking to one of those not so glamorous areas of Doha where you can see hundreds if not thousands of poor people crammed into tiny spaces. However Doha is generally a pretty safe place and I never felt unsafe even in that area. If you can forgive and forget the back side of the hotel, then you are in one of the best areas in Doha. Souq Waqif, MIA, and Corniche are just 5 minute walks from the hotel.. West Bay and the airport are just 15 minute taxi rides.

Rooms
I stayed in a standard room and it’s quite spacious compared to hotels of its class. As some have mentioned before it had a very large kitchenette. My only wish was it had a washing machine and a stove (then again I can understand the reasons why they didn’t want to put those in there). Furniture was relatively new and they always provided very clean linen. Bathroom was nice, clean, spacious and I always had hot water whenever I wanted.

Service I received from every single person who works in that hotel, from the very first night to the last day, was exceptional. From then manager of the hotel (Jo) to housekeeping ladies, the service I received was nothing but professional. And all of them were very friendly and polite.

What most people forget is that this is a 3 star business hotel. Not a holiday resort or a 5 star hotel to receive exceptionally good food. Having said that I’ve tried pretty much everything on their daily menu and I liked pretty much all of those. However, I once tried their ‘promotional buffet’ and it was one of the worst buffets I’ve ever tried. It was simply horrible! Not sure what went wrong but I learnt my lesson and never tried their buffets again. For those who go to this hotel just for food, I only have one advice. Do yourself a favour and walk to Souq Waqif! Why would anyone want to eat the food in a 3 star business hotel when you have dozens of different choices around you? My advice is, depending on your budget,just go either to Souq Waqif or Souq Al Dira (Filipino Souq) area. And if you are a vegetarian, Saravana Bhavan, which is one of the well known vegetarian restaurants in Doha, is just a 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

Tips for longer stay
For those who stay there longer, like I did, having your clothes washed can be a serious issue as the hotel charges quite hefty rates like all other hotels. After about a couple of months into the stay I found this little jewel. Just come out of the hotel to the main road and walk to your right hand side until you reach the Al Bustan hotel (Al Muthaf Street). On the opposite side of the Al Bustan hotel you will find a little laundry that provides an excellent service for dead cheap prices. Just to give an example I used to get my suits dry cleaned for 16 Riyals! There is another laundry, just 3 minutes walk from the hotel, closer to the Gold Souq area, but he is very old school (writes numbers on shirt collars), grumpy and speaks no English. All he says is: “3 Riyals, 3 Days, No English”.

Summary
All in all I enjoyed every minute of my stay so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who is looking for a mid-priced hotel in that area of Doha.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a higher floor for a better view.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Pradeep M
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

I got a very good deal through one of hotel booking websites and thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. I picked the hotel based on it's location but couldn't fault it's services. Very clean and friendly staff and I was given a superior room with kitchen and other facilities. Best value for money and excellent place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Goldstino
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

I would recommend this hotel for travellers on a budget that enjoy eating the local food and not eating out every meal. The value for your money is great as the superior rooms have a good sized kitchenette, Fridge and microwave. The staff I found were helpfull and always called me by name. The SPA is the pearl here, although the indoor pool is a little small it is private and we had it all to ourselve most days in the winter season. Good Spa facillities including saunas, and a well equipped Gym if you need that.Walking distance to main attractions , the Corniche, the Islamic Museam of Art and the Souq Waqif and Gold Souqs where you will find all types of local foods to enjoy. There is a bakery right next door and small convenience and grocery store open late nearby. Parking is sketchy so if you rent a car this may not be the place for you. Overall I truely enjoyed my 9 day stay here and I would stay again on my next trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors, the view is just great from there.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank marie8ciel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

clean rooms and big and have mini kitchen and a microwave.
Though very aweful view on random area, unfriendly staff and poor services, I will not visit this place again and I don't recommend it to anybody

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Doha hotels