“An Oasis on the Sea”

Ranked #12 of 133 Hotels in Doha
Houston, Texas
“An Oasis on the Sea”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I travel to Doha regularly and my first choice is the St. Regis Doha. The hotel has fabulous facilities and attentive staff in all hotel operations who unobtrusively ensure the best possible guest experience. The stay begins with arrival in the stately lobby where the valet will take your car if necessary after you are assisted out of the vehicle; your luggage is taken directly your room by the bell staff while you are checking in. The check-in is quick, slowed only by Qatar requirements to validate your visa status. Once you are checked in, you get taken to a well appointed suite with a distinctly Arabic feel that is comfortable for anyone. I generally prefer the rooms with a terrace, except during shamal seasons or the heat of summer, because few things are nicer than dining on a private terrace.

The days are easily spent at the hotel at the delightful 50m pool, the spa, or the gym. The pool is really a great place to spend a hot day with the floating bean bags, or in a shaded sun chair. They are conveniently located on West Bay so you an also swim in the Arabian gulf - or just enjoy a beverage from the beach bar. Some evening there are special events on the beach with live music and a good crowd of both guests and locals (mostly expats).

The spa deserves a visit! The staff are very skilled and professional in all interactions - a relaxing massage goes a long way, especially after a day exploring the Doha area.

Meals are all excellent and every visit I am torn between the in-room dining or the restaurants on site; each has different advantages but all are excellent.

The absolute best part of the St Regis is what I left to last: Jazz at Lincoln Center. This is the jazz club at the hotel that is truly 5-star for musicians, beverages, and service. Every visit to the jazz club brings a musical surprise with some incredible musicians who are usually from the USA.

Room Tip: A gulf view room is always good - there is not bad room among this type, but I generally prefer the...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
TareqDerbas, General Manager at The St. Regis Doha, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your valuable feedback.

I was truly delighted to read how much you appreciated your stay with us, the design and facilities of our hotel, the services we deliver, the quality of the food, the professionalism of our team and your passion for our Jazz Club.

It is always gratifying for us to receive such positive feedback as this gives us the opportunity to show our team that their efforts are truly appreciated by our guests.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Tareq Derbas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Great hotel!! I loved the beach and the SPA! The breakfast was incredible! Everyone was so respectful and helpful. The swimming pool was gorgeous. The Jazz Bar with live music was so friendly.

I just missed the coffee and tea in the room.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
TareqDerbas, Front Office Manager at The St. Regis Doha, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the great comments.

It was truly pleasing to know that you enjoyed your experience with us and appreciated the hotel design, atmosphere, pool facilities and the professionalism of our teams.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to The St Regis Doha in the near future.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This was our first visit to Qatar and I must admit the St Regis staff made it a special one. As a family on vacation, we were pleasantly surprised at the level of attention to details. The room was equipped was little gestures that target kids: teddy bears, candy, baby shampoo, little steps in the bathroom, children bathrobes, the dvd library (on request). The recreation room was also fully equipped for fun. The kids didn't want to leave. Add to this the strollers "on demand". The hotel premises are in superb shape and the staff are super helpful and responsive. The best move, was the e-mails we received prior to our visit on how to customize our experience at the hotel.
There are a couple of drawbacks: the TV channels list had only one children targeting "channel" and the "butler" staff didn't have a good level of English comprehension (nor did they speak Arabic) which made it difficult to explain our needs.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the feedback you have shared following your recent experience at The St Regis.

It was truly a pleasure to have you with us and I was delighted to know how much you appreciated the professionalism of our associates, our Family Traditions program and our commitment to create the perfect experience for our guests.

I have as well taken on board your suggestion with regards to the children channels and the language skills improvements and will integrate this into our on-going quality management program.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again.

With kind regards,

Riffa
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I love staying at this hotel. I choose to stay here everytime I visit Doha, not only the location is great and close to all the shopping outlets, The food is more than excellent! all the resturants are great and the weekend Brunch is exeptional.

The rooms have all the aminities and more. all in all a wonderful experience

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for a wonderful feedback.

It is pleasing to know how much you appreciated your experience with us, our restaurants and the quality of the service we deliver.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again.

Leamington Spa
Reviewed 14 October 2013

What a place!!
The service and the staff, the luxury, the choice of restaurants and the quality of everything is just sensational.
2 x Gordon Ramsey Restaurants and Hakkassan to name but three!
The Butler was contactable by email or phone and the response was instantaneous.
I've been lucky enough to stay at some great Hotels but have to say that f you have the chance to visit do not hesitate!!

Room Tip: Do not worry. I don't believe there are anything but great rooms!
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for a great feedback.

I was pleased to know how much you enjoyed your experience with us, the services we provide, the variety of our restaurants and our Butler service.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Oxford, UK
Reviewed 13 October 2013

First the positives. This is a more or less brand new hotel. It is pretty swish. The building I grand, with loads of space. The bedrooms are pretty standard for a 5* hotel but very comfortable (though why they cannot provide tea and coffee making facilities in all rooms I don't understand. They do in the more upmarket rooms). The swimming pool is of Olympic size and is fabulous; and the fitness centre is very good indeed, and is staffed by some of the friendliest and most professional people imaginable. That is a real highlight. Also fabulous are the staff - the training has clearly been very rigorous and I have not encountered more consistently professional group of staff anywhere.

What completely spoils the hotel - and the reason I and my colleagues will hesitate to go back - is the incredibly pervasive noise. It is everywhere. Piped music wherever you happen to be. Not just discreet background music, but loud and in your face and inescapable. Every restaurant to the point that it inhibits conversation. Every lounge. Sometimes different music from two competing sources at the same time. The reggae band on the beach (facing the bedrooms) playing until 12.45 am; the jazz club that pounds through to the bedrooms on the 3rd floor until the early hours - the hotel's construction clearly did not include soundproofing sufficient to deal with this. I could go on. It is everywhere. Maybe I am an old fogie, but in that case I am not alone. Maybe the hotel needs to sort out in its mind who its core customers are. In many ways the hotel management is letting down its staff.

The other moan is about the Vine restaurant and its buffet lunch. This is standard fare, but it clearly cooks and lays out the lunch buffet at 12.00 and doesn’t refresh it. A kebab at 2.30 pm that was cooked and put under the heating lamp at 12.00 is pretty dry and unpleasant. It is true that when I was there there were not may other guests, but a hotel with 5* aspirations should be doing better than that.

Room Tip: Avoid 3rd floor in the middle unless you are passionate about Jazz
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the constructive feedback you have shared.

While I was pleased to read how much you appreciated the professionalism and overall friendliness of our associates as well as the services we provide and the pool and fitness centre facilities, I was disappointed to know that we failed to meet your expectations in certain areas.

Your remarks regarding the piped music have been taken on board and will be adjusted accordingly. We also appreciate your feedback with regards to the buffet lunch and will certainly look into it with our Executive Chef.

Once again thank you very much for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us and we do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The St Regis Doha in the not too distant future.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My name is Abdullah Alsalem and I was in Room 306 last Saturday.

I had a day off from work, and my only aim was to relax and watch Saturday's football games from EPL and Seria A I was planning to watch 3 back2back gams. Therefore instead in spending 5 hrs in a sport bar or coffee shop I thought why not check in at the Saint Regis and enjoy!

Unfortunately I watched only 1 game !! they don’t have all Al Jazeera channels (what a shock) and they don’t have other sports channels. They told me they don’t have the package, I asked the engineer for their card number and called Al Jazeera,., Al Jazeera said that they have all channels!!
the engineering department gave mu false information several times !!
funny enough they don’t know how to edit or add channels !! they said that the hotel have to be in low capacity then they have to call Dubai and Istanbul to do so LOL

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Abdullah_Saad
TareqDerbas, General Manager at The St. Regis Doha, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the valuable feedback you have shared following your recent experience with us.

Please allow me to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered due to the absence of certain Al Jazeera channels. I would like to assure you that we have already taken action towards it and expect to have the channels installed in the coming week.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on your next visit as it would be my pleasure to personally assist you with the reservation.

Kind regards,