“Expected too much...was greatly disappointed.”

Opal by Gordon Ramsay at The St. Regis Doha
Ranked #34 of 849 Restaurants in Doha
Price range: US$30 - US$70
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, View, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Luzon, Philippines
“Expected too much...was greatly disappointed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I expected a bit too much for a Gordon Ramsay establishment.

1st: My starters were ok... we had the couscous (but its really hard to mess up couscous anyway), my main dish..which was the Duck Leg in BBQ so was inedible! Ive never had duck so tough before! I had 2 bites and was too disappointed to take another bite. I showed it to the lady Filipino supervisor and told her to tell the chef ...but that was it. Never heard any feedback from her again.

2nd: The service was dull and mediocre. From the hostess to the waitresses. I felt like we were eating in some some cheap wanna be restaurant.

3rd: When we arrived , the hostess said "oh we have the best table for you"...guess where we sat? Right next to the cash register (where the waitresses types in the orders). Best table my ___.

We also ordered pizza..that was pretty good though. But i think the duck dish and service just ruined it for me.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank powderpaint

• Polish first
“Try the Wagyu burger”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Visited the Opal in the st Regis hotel at the beginning of September 13.

My wife and I had previously eaten at the Ramsey restaurant in the same hotel and loved it.

I agree with another reviewer that the lighting was a bit low, but we had no problem with the service.

The food was above average, and we enjoyed it. If you are looking for something a bit more upmarket try a different place.It is styled as a casual place to eat after all.

After saying the above though, I did find the bill quite high for the type of place it's supposed to be

• Visited September 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dull lighting and service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Expectations are high here. Thought the service wasn't great. Takes a while to get noticed. Also the restaurant can be a little too dark for dining for me. Lighting is a bit too dull. Went there for the burger night promo. Served at Ramsay price, it was all that - greasy and meaty and a good meal. Came with a pint of beer for the promo. Sampled a chicken dish too which was well cooked.

Visited June 2013
“Good hangover food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

I went for Friday brunch and really what I should have done is brunched elsewhere and come here the following morning for a greasy carb & burger fix! So my first Gordon Ramsey experience, not sure what I was expecting, but to be honest a grilled cheese sandwich wasn't it. I was pretty surprised how basic the food was, grilled cheese sandwich, burgers and french toast with custard for pudding. Nothing really popped as "wow I'd never be able to make that at home that good". Maybe that's the concept? You know classic food, nothing too scary, familiar comfort "homey" food. That's cool, just perhaps not something that I'd look for when going out and spending big riyals. Could perhaps be aimed at locals who may not have tried these pub classics? Don't get me wrong, it was done very well, we are talking pretty presentation and full fat dairy people, rich and filling. So as mentioned in other reviews it's not a search and retreive buffet the food and drinks come to you. This means for our table we got pretty hammered. This was not intentional, it's just with search and retreive buffets you end up walking around, taking time to find the perfect dish, talking to people, accessing intake by ability to walk and with all these breaks gone, we just sat and drank. One thing I love love love about St Regis is the wine selection, every other brunch in town has the same French sparkling, SA white and red and they are extremely ordinary, the wine in St Regis is different, interesting and tasty. Service was impeccable, as you would expect in such a venue, however serving the light fish dish after the burgers was a miss, nobody wanted such a delicate dish after the richness of the burgers. Yes the mini burgers are as good as everyone says, just what you need at the end of a brunch to sober up. Dining room was weird. I think were were facing the sea but had a padded cell feel to it, not much can be done now and hey I'm not advocating knocking down a wall to put in glass to make me happy :-) So the ultimate question, would I return? For brunch no, I think I gave it a bash and I'm happy to have done so, but my quest for the perfect brunch continues. For dinner yes, it's sparked my curiosity enough to return and try for dinner. It's a place where I could see me taking my parents, they would get the food and not be too scared with unusual dishes or ingredients. All in all I'm just so happy we have choice here in Qatar and grateful Mr. Ramsey wasn't put off after the Pearl debacle. Go try it and decide for yourself!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank SumoDoha
Doha
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mediocre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

The service is horrible. It takes a long time to get noticed by the staff for any request. I visited on a Monday where they usually have a burger night. Most of the staff did not know which burger is offered in the burger&pint offer. One staff even told me that it was the lamb burger when it was actually the Opal wagyu one. When asked what was inside the burger, they did not know and I was told to refer to the menu. I was also sent the wrong drink.
As for the food, the quality was great, the taste not so much. The braised ribs were too acidic, the crab cakes average, and the wagyu burger was lacking.

• Visited September 2013