“Disappointed - it's actually only a pizza and burger joint”

Opal by Gordon Ramsay at The St. Regis Doha
Ranked #37 of 857 Restaurants in Doha
Price range: US$30 - US$70
Cuisines: International, European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, View, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Disappointed - it's actually only a pizza and burger joint”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

After having LOVED Claridges, I was looking forward to another Gordon delight. Hubby made reservations for us and a close friend ("Would you like outside on the balcony?" ... "Yes that would be lovely" ... "We are very causal so jeans are ok" ... "fantastic, I know just what to wear on breezy balmy evening in Doha".

On arrival we were shown 2 firmly closed doors - in hushed whispers "that's our fine dining area" ... "Can we peek inside?" ... "sorry no, as soon as the doors are closed it's off-limits". Well - excuuuse me.

We were shown to a table out on the balcony area. The cloth place mats were misshaped and un-ironed.

All the usual expected service system was in order, except that whereas in Claridges we had what seemed to be half-a-dozen sommeliers swarming around our table to assist, in Opal this function was left up to the waiters. At our table one person ordered wine, one person ordered beer, and another person ordered water. They gave one person a huge mineral water bottle without asking (I guess assuming that others at the table would want some - which we did not).

The Menu. Ok, some starters, some pizza, some burgers and a very small range of mains. I wanted a steak. Nowhere to be seen (seriously?). There was one piece of veal put on the menu at an outrageous price to make all the other dishes appear cheap (which they weren't).

Bread basket. Yes, this was excellent, but one at our table was eating low-carb so couldn't enjoy. But it's a shame when the bread is the highlight ...

The tuna tartare in romaine boats was pretty decent, as was the salad starter and the braised beef. Appetizers can be classified as a "tick".

Main courses. I wanted steak, but because they didn't have any, I selected the grilled salmon - yeah it tasted like your average grilled salmon - nothing special. The other 2 ordered burgers - one wagyu and one vegetarian. Lucky we ordered sides because these very small burgers arrived with bugger-all else - some cheap taro chips on one; and 5 finger chips on the other. The looks of disappointment was very difficult to hide, quite honestly. Both commented on the lack of flavour; and the vegetarian patty was a pile of mush tossed in crumbs.

Sides. Broccoli, chips and coleslaw. Nothing worth mentioning here, except that the coleslaw tasted exactly like KFC (which I happen to like). Lucky we ordered these because it helped the burgers.

Desserts. I wanted something to make the evening finish on a high note. Hot chocolate fondant, hot apple crumble, hot fruit crepes - something hot. The alternative was a cheese board. Lo and behold, 7 items on the dessert menu and not single hot dessert and no cheese. Seriously? I still wanted something else to finish, so we ordered the profiteroles (we would have ordered a dessert each if there was a decent range). The highlight of the profiteroles was ... the ice cream - actually very delicious and you can taste that it's homemade.

Bottom line ... we never expected to be ordering pizza or burgers, but 2 of us ordered burgers as a last resort because the rest of the menu was so weak. Like it or not, the name Gordon Ramsay is associated with fine dining and great tasting food. Our whole table was expecting more. Certainly the bare minimum of a solid range, decent value for money, food that screams flavour, and at least one wow moment that makes it memorable. Unfortunately we will remember this visit for all the wrong reasons.

We paid over US$100/head and we left feeling that this was quite poor value for money.

I'll go back to Claridges!

2 Thank Jakki L

• Polish first
“Cool and Calm”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This has been my forth time dining at Opal.This was the first without a reservation but this seemed not a problem and the lobby butler escorted us within 2 minutes to the table.Firstly the food is simple classic dishes,expect good wholesome food!The soup options for starters are too huge as well as the pasta dish for main course so definitely go hungry!!!I had the vegetarian burger which was ok,lacked abit of flavour though.My husband and friend ordered the fish dish which they said was good. Best thing about is the magical wine list!!Great winery room as well which is openly part of the restaurant which is great.The main disappointing thing was the service, as I am a repeat guest here I know what it should be like but last night it might have seemed the waitress and the rest of the staff were not paying much attention, I noticed a few other guests waving their hands to get the waiters attention,maybe it was unexpectedly busy for a Tuesday so not all the staff were there....but our waitress nor a supervisor or manager not once came to ask if everything was ok or if we need anything else during the meal.The view is not much but this is due to poor design but the relaxed atmosphere and great wine make up for this!All in all Opal is great if you want good hearty food and prices are good, service just needs some looking into ( please as this will be the downfall of a great restaurant ) Even though last night was not the best experience I will still come back time and time again!!!

“Fantastic Food”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

What a lovely place to eat. I have eaten here several times and it has always been superb. The food is amazing and good value. I especially enjoy the the Saturday Brunch!! :-)

Luzon, Philippines
“Expected too much...was greatly disappointed.”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I expected a bit too much for a Gordon Ramsay establishment.

1st: My starters were ok... we had the couscous (but its really hard to mess up couscous anyway), my main dish..which was the Duck Leg in BBQ so was inedible! Ive never had duck so tough before! I had 2 bites and was too disappointed to take another bite. I showed it to the lady Filipino supervisor and told her to tell the chef ...but that was it. Never heard any feedback from her again.

2nd: The service was dull and mediocre. From the hostess to the waitresses. I felt like we were eating in some some cheap wanna be restaurant.

3rd: When we arrived , the hostess said "oh we have the best table for you"...guess where we sat? Right next to the cash register (where the waitresses types in the orders). Best table my ___.

We also ordered pizza..that was pretty good though. But i think the duck dish and service just ruined it for me.

3 Thank powderpaint
“Try the Wagyu burger”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Visited the Opal in the st Regis hotel at the beginning of September 13.

My wife and I had previously eaten at the Ramsey restaurant in the same hotel and loved it.

I agree with another reviewer that the lighting was a bit low, but we had no problem with the service.

The food was above average, and we enjoyed it. If you are looking for something a bit more upmarket try a different place.It is styled as a casual place to eat after all.

After saying the above though, I did find the bill quite high for the type of place it's supposed to be

• Visited September 2013