“23 May 2014”

Ranked #202 of 857 Restaurants in Doha
Price range: US$15 - US$250
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, View, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: La Varenne, a French brasserie offering classic French cuisine in a contemporary setting, on the 28th floor of Tornado Tower in West Bay.
edinburgh
“23 May 2014”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Having asked if there were vegetarian choices at the time of booking what a surprise to find the only choice (not on the menu) was the stuffed aubergine from the lunch business menu (can't imagine no veggie options at brunch earlier in the day). Considering 70 PC of most menus involve non meat and fish ingredients it implies the chef can't be bothered to even try. We gave the fairly hopeless front of house team the chance to clarify the position and left shortly thereafter. We were also offered a fully set up table for 6 rather than a table for 2. Did they really want us to sit at the table and make the rest of the restaurant think our guests weren't turning up........lots of tables for 2 available.... Had a good breakfast here before but poor booking, poor front of house and a lazy chef mean the other restaurants in doha will benefit from our custom. Won't be back.

1 Thank kingsbarns

Doha, Qatar
“An excellent choice for a special dinner”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

It was recently my bday and I chose La Varenne for dinner with my husband.
When we arrived we were greeted graciously and taken to our table. It was my bday and we were treated to a glass of bubbly to start the evening.
I decided on the tomato and aubergine tartine...delicious! My husband agreed. He ordered the snails and unfortunately they were not special at all. A disappointment.
For our mains, I took the Steak Frites medium.....again....wonderful. Even though the frites were not the usual very thin frites....but they were perfectly cooked and stacked! The bearnaise sauce was heavenly! My husband had the veal escalope and LOVED it! It was indeed delicious.
As my all-time favorite dessert is the creme brulee, there was no question what I would order. My husband did as well. And for me it was "3 for 3"! It was perfect!!! Thank you for knowing how to make a creme brulee....thin with real vanilla beans and with a nice crust of burnt sugar on top. It is amazing how many restaurants get this wrong. And if it is bad I will only eat on spoon full and stop. On this occasion I ate the whole thing and enjoyed it thoroughly. As did my husband.
We both chose wines by the glass during our meals which was fine....nothing really special but good.
We ended with an espresso and a deal that we would return again and again.
The service was excellent. We felt taken care of and very comfortable.
Aside from the snails.....it was a perfect evening....and so good that we could overlook the tasteless snails....but we won't be ordering them again.
La Varenne....our new favorite restaurant!

Karsiyaka, Cyprus
“Friday Brunches”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I live in Doha, I do not like Friday brunches, if you like a tipple, great but if you are not heavy drinkers it can work out quite expensive. (all you can eat, all you can drink, set price) La Varenne, in my opinion, have the best brunch in West Bay.......Staff brilliant, food, par excellence.......totally tickled the taste buds, plus the wine......that you can purchase by the bottle, was first class. Far cheaper than buying a food plus drink package.......what we liked most that it was not a buffet......we were waited on. First class, we would recommend anyone to try it.

1 Thank Edwina25
Doha, Qatar
“be warn about dress code”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I am not impressed by the management. I had made a reservation for lunch on a weekday. When we turned up, the staff at the ground floor led us to the lift which is fine. Then when we arrived to the restaurant, the staff kindly took us to the table. Just when the moment we were about to settle, the staff informed us that it is a business lunch and the dress code is 'smart causal', as my wife was wearing short jeans, we were turned down at the table in the middle of the restaurant half full of diners. It is one of the most embarrassing moments for my stay in Qatar. The staff should have informed us over the phone when we made reservation, or at the ground floor, or at the restaurant entrance, but not at the last moment when we were just about to settle. Even the staff was very polite and escort us to the lift with apology, the staff at the ground look puzzled when we were leaving just a matters of minutes. Dress code is a matter of opinion and we were not prepared to argue.. I bet the food may be good, unfortunately we have not got the opportunity to try.

1 Thank jacw001
Dubai
“Excellent French Restaurant, stunning view on Doha skyscrapers”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Actually La Varenne offers the most surprising dining experience in Doha downtown.
Located on the 38th floor of Tornado Tower, the restaurant has a unique view over Doha skyline.
The service is discreet and efficient.
The menu is offering a variety of French dishes, all well selected.
My friend ordered a business lunch, I had a combination of starters (trolley), a perfect roasted duck and fine desserts from the trolley.
After enjoying the day view, I will try the night view on a next occasion...