“Bad Experience for Ramadan Suhoor.”

Sharq Village & Spa
Ranked #18 of 134 Hotels in Doha
doha
“Bad Experience for Ramadan Suhoor.”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We usually try out most of the good hotels for the iftar/Suhoor, during Ramadan and last year having a good experience in Al Sharq’s Ramadan tent, we decided to try it again. It was the worst decision we could have made. We had booked a table for 9 last Thursday. The booking was from 9:30 to 2AM. The evening started off well as expected, the food was good, we were enjoying our self, then by 12, I could see the attitude of staff seem to change. Even though some of our team was still eating, they started clearing the fork, spoon napkins etc form the table. Then in another 15 min, even without asking the bill was brought to the table. I was like WOW, they really want us out of here. I just checked out the other tables and realized we were the only one single out. Since we did not want to make a scene, we paid and left. And sure enough as we suspected, the moment we left, the table was made again we could see that a group of Qataris was assured in. I wonder if being the only Indian group here that night we were singled out, it was racist, something we do not expect from a 5 star establishment and left a bad taste in the mouth.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank jilfer
Carsten F, General Manager at Sharq Village & Spa, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Sir/ Madam,

I would like to start off by extending my gratitude for sharing your feedback regarding your experience in our Ramadan Tent.

I do sincerely apologize for not living up to your expectations, in terms of guest courtesy. I have discussed the matter with our Banquet team and F&B Director who will certainly look into the matter. Please be assured that no distinction is made among our guests due to any reason. We are pleased to welcome all nationalities to our resort.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back here at Sharq Village & Spa.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Let me start by saying that I am was in Doha for 1 night and it was purely for business purpose. Hence, I did not have time to really explore the city or even the hotel and my review is based on only the one night I stayed in, the Service I have received and the room I stayed in.

However, let me start by getting to the hotel. The Taxi i took from the airport didn't even know where the hotel is. That was a very strange thing since Doha does not really have so much 5 star hotels. But it was a fun exploring Doha the way I did with the Taxi. Apparently he was new to the country (a very stupid excuse if you ask me).

The Service
Once I eventually reached the hotel I was greeted by smiling faces from all the staff. It was nice especially after exploring Doha with a lost Taxi under the mid afternoon heat. However, since this is a resort, I expected at least someone to welcome the guests with a cold towel, maybe a cold refreshing drink, or at least to be asked if I wanted Water. I mean, I have seen such services in many "resorts" around the world, and sorry for thinking this "resort" would be the same. Check-in was quick and fine. Nothing unusual. I was guided to my room, given a quick tour on the way to my room on the restaurants around and was told that all the "other activities" are listed in the Hotel guid in my room. Fine.

The Room.
The moment you enter, it looks nice and clean and tidy. However, few things really did bother me. Firstly, the windows are not tainted and since my room was on the ground floor and facing the main pool, I ran of being publicly exposed had i decided to roam my room in my underwear (thank god I did not do so). The AC was switched on and put to the minimum. It was FREEZING in the room. Now imagine walking around with no socks on the cold freezing marbles. The TV was pretty old and had issues with working the remote. Was it too much to expect a decent TV from a new 5 star resort. The channels on the menu were all wrongly arranged and I was told that the sports channels (Al Jazera) were available, yet they were not. The Bathroom was the worst part of the room. I mean, really, this is the most important room. This is the room where you start your morning and end you day at. For me, bathrooms are the mood maker. A horrible bathroom would ruin your full day and a good one would leave you in an excellent mood all day. The bathtub was tiny. So forget about making yourself a bath to sit, sip a drink and read while the salts do their magic. I mean really, you are supposed to be a "resort". The shower was dirty and the hand shower didn't even work. The "Rain" shower on top had most of its holes not working. It was a miserable and poorly designed bathroom.

Room Service.
Had a long day so instead of visiting one of their many similar restaurants, I decided to stay in a get room service. WORST DECISION EVER. The burger was poorly made, the potato wedges were flavourless and the burger bun was one bought in a local supermarket.

So overall, I was glad that I had an early flight next day and back to home sweet home. Would I ever consider this hotel next time I am in Doha? Defiantly not.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Carsten F, General Manager at Sharq Village & Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Sharief,
I thank you dearly for sharing your feedback regarding your experience during your stay here at Sharq Village & Spa.
My sincerest apologizes for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay. I certainly assure you to discuss these matters with our senior leaders, as well as our rooms division and look deeper into how we may create a better home away from home for our guests.
It pleases me to here that our ladies & gentlemen welcomed you with smiling faces and for that we would be honored if given the chance to welcome you back here at Sharq Village & Spa.
I appreciate your understanding as we continue to improve our customer experience and thank you once again for your comments.
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This is by far my favorite hotel in Doha. I like the rooms, the pools and the spa. The interior is beautifully authentic Middle Eastern. The staff are amazing and helpful. The spa is the finest to me. Food is fantastic. The Persian restaurant is the best in town.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
South West England, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,209 helpful votes
Reviewed 26 May 2014

It's a shame. This hotel has got a lot going for it. It's low rise with a massive pool in the middle. The spa is very good, the restaurant outlets are not bad and the rooms have a very homely comfortable feel. All of this is marred by the constant aeroplane activity overhead. The hotel is on the major flight path of Doha airport and take off and landings are non stop and never end !!! Such a shame.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AvidTraveler12
Carsten F, General Manager at Sharq Village & Spa, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,
I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your experience during your stay here at Sharq Village & Spa.
My sincerest apologizes for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay with us, in regards to the airplane disruption. It pleases me to inform you that starting May 27th 2014, all Doha air traffic will be moved to the newly opened Hamad International Airport, creating a quite and relaxing resort.
I am also delighted to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and thank you once again for your comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back here at Sharq Village & Spa
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

The past few months Sharq village is the only place we can think of on a day off or weekend. Me and my husband regularly visit the hotel and it's never enough!

Excellent hospitality, amazing service, wonderful and luxurious environment.... Not to forget .. You will love the food there!

Friendly and " super " professional staff well attend all our requests.. And they will never fail in exceeding your expectations. They actually spoil us...

Ask for Mega to assist you in case you are planning a romantic dinner for two, you will be amazed with his professionalism and extra care in arranging all details.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Jk-nily
London, UK
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Was there for a conference happening in the same hotel. Very convenient to be able to walk back to the room during coffee breaks. The hotel had a nice laid back vibe to it, was nice to be able to look out across the sea and see Doha City, to be able to talk a walk barefoot on the beach, albeit a very slim slice of beach, and walking around the resort itself was really nice. I was there in November, so the weather was very pleasant and I had a room on the first floor so felt safe enough to sleep with my windows open and enjoy the lovely breeze all night. The staff were very nice and helpful. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was nice a spacious. The only thing that would stop me from coming back to stay in this hotel if I was in town on vacation would be the planes overhead. No joking, about every 10-15 minutes a plane would go overhead. The first night I woke up in the middle of the night with a start unable to understand why it sounded like there was a giant electricity generator outside my room. Such a shame. I hope with the opening of the new airport that the flight paths will change.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sheba_Adams
Paris, France
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The hotel have launched few weeks ago something that they called Sundowners which commences every friday afternoon from 3 till late night. They have a happy hour(s) that is from 3 till 7 and then it continues with normal prices. It is in Al Dana restaurant where they have set up the place with lounge area and lazy puffs on the green grass area. The nice atmoshphere is reflected with the selection of 3 to 4 DJs playing one after the other, where each have his own twist of music especially DJ Kinky D and Karl. The nicer part is the simplicity of the organization of the whole event every friday. The entrance is not complicated with any security checks(they have security check but not a long que like other clubs in the city) then you get out and access the outdoor terrace. You need to go early as no reservations are accepted anymore, so move early if you want a table. The drinks is served on the tables, however some drinks wil require you to go to the bar. there is a small que to get your coupons, but this is the nice thing about it ,the simplicity! pick up a coupon and head to the bar. (they have 2 bars serving) one of the bartenders at the green grass area who's called Merit or Mehrit (I do not remember the name correctly) was by himself serving the crowd, he seemed tired yet the smile did not leave his face and he was checking on everyone personally if they got what they wanted(well done) the place also serve small selection of food (burgers, last night they had mexican) that is really tasty! Burgers are just yum!
Brieflly, Sundowners is the place to be, i have been there 4 times already and i am sure i will go there again and again. Keep it as simple as it is guys, no need for sofistications and luxury stuff it is cool the way it is! Well Done Sundowners team

Room Tip: Go early to pick a table at sundowners terrace
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends