Plaza Inn Doha
Anantara.com
US$122
US$113
  • Restaurant
All reviewsal seefislamic museumshort visitcomfy bedbusiness tripthe hotel stafffront officebreakfast buffetswimming poolcornichesouqtransitcheckinconstructionmr
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I have stayed twice here. The rooms are large with great bathrooms. Restaurant has a great breakfast and serves nice meals. But you have to walk down to the Movenpick to get a beer or cocktail. I understand that Qatar does not allow its citizens to drink, but they do allow the international hotels to serve alcohol to the guest(you have to show your passport). Sometimes you really need a beer after being outside in 47C temps all day.

The host cleaning my room always goes through my bag(I mark things to verify this as I travel extensively and like to know). Not that I keep anything of value in my bag!

Room Tip: Interior rooms are cooler!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I stayed in Best Western Doha for a night and I only have positive things to stay except for one item, the aircondition. The whole hotel is very clean, staff are friendly and service-oriented, gym and pool well-maintained, bathroom very big with both tub and shower and bidet and toilet, bedroom itself needs more light. Sure it is cozy with somewhat dim lights but some people need lots of light to see. I did not take the breakfast because I had early morning flight but it was sweet of them to offer packing the breakfast for me (which I declined politely). I ate dinner in the Indian restaurant in the hotel. Food is quite OK, service is good.

Now my only complaint: the aircon blows right straight into the bed so I felt very cold even under the sheets. I tried turning if off (but it became too hot), turning it to higher temperature (still blowing right to my bed), etc, but it was still very uncomfortable. I originally requested for a room with nice view but I did not get one. It was kind of them to allow early check-in (by 9am), I appreciate it.

It is near the Museum of Islamic Art (by taxi, it is 10-20 Qatar Riyal). Do not take offers from private individuals who would offer 30-40 riyal to go to the museum.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Good service and a clean hotel. No complaints on those parts.

The only problem was that due to the positioning of the vents for the air-conditioning, I never got a good sleep. This is a pity because the bed was comfortable. The air from the vent blows right onto the head of the bed, so you have a cold draught blowing in your face practically. I switched the air-con off so I could get to sleep, but I woke up about two hours later because it was too warm. I had the fan on the lowest setting, yet it was still too forceful a draught to sleep under, For this, the hotel gets a poor rating.

Room Tip: Make sure the air-con in your room does not blow onto the head of the bed, otherwise you'll get no sleep!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank caloomba
Reviewed 20 April 2012

This hotel was clean and quiet but we could not get the internet to work in our room (even after asking for help). Even worse, the breakfast we read was included was not included (which was why we chose the hotel). They wanted to charge upwards of $25USD for each person for breakfast. We went hungry instead.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cindy A
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Every hotel in Qatar is over-priced for what you get, but that doesn’t mean you have to like it! This Best Western is a modern, mid-range hotel that looks great on the web, but keeps missing opportunities to do a good job. I don’t think I will be back.

I arrived at the hotel from the airport at 4am one morning in March 2012. My room, purchased on-line, was about US$130 a night, without breakfast. The taxi from the airport was 30QR, about $10, and took just minutes. The building is relatively new and modern, and at this point I’m thinking, not bad!

The room (x05) was smallish, but clean, modern and adequate. The bed was comfortable. Wifi worked well, and there was no problem logging on. The TV has 30 channels, including few English channels with CNN and BBC. There was a coffee pot and a luggage rack, which are two minor items of thoughtfulness for which I look in every hotel.

I studied the hotel floorplan and learned the hotel has about 180 rooms. I also found my room is the smallest room in the hotel; I may have been assigned this as a punishment after purchasing on-line. In addition, three rooms on each floor (#x16, x17 and x18) do not have exterior windows, but open on to a dim atrium; avoid them at all cost.

The lobby is far from grand, but certainly functional and tidy. One real plus: the coffee bar in the lobby makes excellent coffees. The Pilipino staff speaks English and they are very helpful.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served as semi-buffet. The breakfast buffet was pleasant, the room is spacious and the tables are fine. Breakfast was about US$20 a day, a bit high for a standardized buffet without omelets and such.

So why do I feel this hotel fails? Because at almost every instance, it fails to make travel convenient or fun. Consider:

 Even at 4am, check-in took forever.

 The electrical access for my laptop required unplugging the desk lamp AND climbing under the desk. I then had to unplug my computer to plug in the charger for my cell phone. (These gymnastics simply are unacceptable in a new, modern hotel.)

 The wifi was slow and uneven, and when I complained the staff suggested using a hard-wired connection. Unhappily, that connection was behind the bed, so I would have to sit on the bed instead of at my desk to do my email.

 The layout of the hotel is a labyrinth, and I almost had to leave a trail of breadcrumbs to find my way back to my room.

 Taking up a huge chunk of the bedroom was a TV stand that looked like the Slab in "2001: A Space Oddessy". It was so big, I had to sit at the desk sideways.

 The bathroom was so cramped I could not walk to the toilet, but had to scuttle in sideways, like a crab (this may be a function of getting the smallest room in the hotel). The shower was equally inconvenient.

 The elevators all have separate call buttons, so you have to push them all to minimize wait times. (Oddly, each elevator has a clock over the door, and none of the clocks show the same time!)

 The hotel booked a taxi for me, but it never showed, and they were unable to get me another. I ended up flagging down a taxi on my own.

 There is no parking, or convenient drop-off/pick-up location.

 The hotel did some laundry for me, at a very high price, but neglected to get it back on time NOR did they fold my business shirts, which had been explicitly requested on the order form.

At the end of the day, it’s all about the quality of the service. I think the Doha Seef fails. For the money, I would rate this as an inferior choice and I do not plan to return.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms in the x05 tower- they're just too cramped.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business