“Amazing, friendly hostel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Damascus Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Damascus
Damascus Hostel
Sao Paulo, SP
“Amazing, friendly hostel”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I still have very fond memories of the Damascus hostel, more than a year after visiting (in December 2010-January 2011). We had the tower room and spent many happy hours playing with the cats (little Falafel must have grown up now!) and talking with the hostel staff, who were extremely helpful and friendly and gave us some great travel advice. It is very sad to see this beautiful country going through some very tough times, but when the situation in Syria improves I would love to return to Damascus and to this great hostel!

Room Tip: Ask for the tower room, which is located in the ramparts of the old city.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank goodiyerboy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Extremly helpful people are the best asset for this hostel. Still remember their kindness after two years. They also organize trips all across Syria. Good base to explore the country or the region.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Credoc
syriafullbottle, Owner at Damascus Hostel, responded to this review, 9 November 2011
Guys i want to thank you for taking time after nearly two years and post the good memories from Syria and your stay at the hostel.Well we tooremember you , the nice people from Hungry.
We enjoyed having you at the hostel. and hope to see you again in future.
Raymond and crew
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Fantastic, kitche and charming hostel. Located in a small lane right but right in the thick of it, the Damscus hostel is the place to stay in Damascus. The souq and mosque are right on the door stop but be sure to go out one day without a map and loose yourself in the small laneways and passageways you will not be dissappointed. Dont forget to go to the ice-cream shop in the souq. Ive forgotten it's name but the staff will tell you as they can for all other information you need. Also venture up the road to Abu George's bar, the smallest bar you will ever visit!

With respect to the hostel I have to say I loved every minute here, whether playing with the rabbits, turtles, cats or Damascus Nanna (yes she is human), having my taro cards read, eating Syrian sweets from a piece of string and being awarded a glow in the dark Jesus sticker or awaking to a wonderful cup of cardamon coffee, this place is not to be missed. The common areas are great with lounges, wi-fi, and a couple of roof terraces to get some sun and hang washing. As others have said this is not a fancy place but it is extremely welcoming and comfortable. I highly recommend and will definitely be back

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
syriafullbottle, Owner at Damascus Hostel, responded to this review, 26 October 2011
Hi Jamee.Seeing your review has raised our hopes and determination to wait for those good old days to return to Damascus Hostel were we can continue our service to guests like your self who appreciate staying at the hostel.Hope to see you again in future inshallah
Raymond and crew
London
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Damascus hostel is a lovely place to spend your days in Damascus. The accommodation is very minimal and simple, nothing glamorous or fancy but the atmosphere and the people make it an amazing place to stay. The owner and the staff are always there to help and assist you in anything you may need. If you are not after a 4 stars accomomdation, Damascus Hostel is the place to stay!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Despite Damascus and the whole Syria being still unspoiled by tourist boom and really good prices for food, drinks, excursions, they still lack affordable and quality accommodation. The Damascus Hostel stands out of the crowd of expensive hotels in Damascus. The hostel is very affordable offering clean rooms, most with TVs and private baths. There are a lot of backpackers in the lobby all the time - it is great to share the ideas and stories in the lobby and organize trips together. There are two ways to reach the hostel - one is from the inner old city roaming the small streets, the second way is to use a rope ladder hanging from the city walls! The hostel organizes their own excursions and pick ups from the airport. It is certainly worth recommending to enjoy a great Syrian hospitality!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sirmiff
syriafullbottle, Owner at Damascus Hostel, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
It is heart warming to see a review after so long and during these terrible times that we are having for last six months
I must commend you for visiting Syria during the unrest .
I am so glad that you managed to enjoy Damascus and the hostel
I thank you for taking the time to post a review.and hope to see you again in future.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I stayed at this hostel for one night with my brother on July 6, 2011 when political unrest in Syria was beginning to intensify. At first, we found a welcoming home at the hostel, managed in the owner's absence by a kind Syrian family. We were constantly offered tea, nargileh, food and overall spent a wonderful two days in Damascus.

The place is clean, and we were offered a discounted rate. We were the only guests after all.

Unfortunately, as we prepared to depart for the airport, my brother looked in his money pouch which he had left secured in his backpack all day in the room, which was locked. Earlier in the day, he placed $100 in twenty dollar bills and 100 euros in fifty euro bills in the pouch along with some smaller change. He counted it and realized that only one $20 bill remained and one 50 euro bill remained. Therefore $80 and 50 euros were stolen.

Seeing as we were the only guests at the hostel, the theft was not the doing of another guest. The lock on our door was not tampered with and all of our other valuables were still there. The thief was very clearly somebody in the staff, if not all of them acting together.

We confronted the staff and they all put on dumb faces and wondered if maybe we bought something and forgot about it, not considering that somebody in their family was responsible. I attempted to get in contact with Raymond, the owner, who was vacationing in Jordan. It took around 45 minutes before they finally got me in contact with him and he said he had full faith in the staff. He did not seem to believe anything I was saying. My later correspondence with him by email did not yield any information about the whereabouts of the money or any admission that the staff of his hostel MIGHT be responsible.

My brother and I ended our trip not angry about the money, but angry that such a nice family could be capable of such deception. I have not a shred of doubt in my mind that the family entered our room while we were away and took money from my brother's bag, leaving some so that we wouldn't notice before leaving. It was a disappointing way to end two fabulous days in Damascus.

Keep in mind that despite the high rating of this hostel, your privacy and possessions are at risk if you stay there. There are plenty of affordable hotels in Damascus and I would encourage you to choose them over Damascus Hostel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Noelorvam
raymond g, Owner at Damascus Hostel, responded to this review, 17 August 2011
Dear Costa and brother
The staff at hostel are fully capable of running the hostel in my absence for many months.
The family that you refered to are the most honest people i have known .The family are Jaklin,her brother Johny,his son Noel and daughter Sandy.It is cruel to accuse these people of stealing
.The other person at hostel Em Anas works from 7 am till 10 am Five people in total work at hostel at present during the unfortunate sad Syrian unrest.
During full house we had employed up to 12 employees.
I was surprised/shocked to be called at 1.00 am awakened from my sleep at home in Amman Jordan.because they all know not to wake me up for any reason except extreem emergency
As you (Costa) insisted talking to me at that time of the night
As Johny started telling me the situation i knew something was very serious and decided to record the telephone conversation.
You then took the handset from Johny and told/reminded me that we have a very good reputation on the Tripadvisor reviews and that unless we entertain your claim you would do damage/harm to our good name on tripadvisor
.I felt that we are being blackmailed and i told you that it is up to you to do what action you see fit
I added that it was not possible for staff to steal your money.,how ever i will investigate/talk with each member at hostel and i will inform you of the results .The conversation ended at that point.
In my subsequent emails i repeated that i concluded investigation of the alleged stolen money ,that the staff are innocent .and politely /tactfully added that you could have miscounted or lost your money and that we can not entertain your unreasonable unfair claims
I like to point out that the hostel policy(shown clear in your room) .It is a well known rules at all hotels around the world .The policy states that valuables should be handed to reception which you ignored .
It does not matter whether we have house full of guests or just one guest as in your case because other guests DO NOT enter your room under any circumstances to steal you money
When hostel was full often the guests leave late at night in the communal lounge when they go to bed .They leave laptops ,cameras ,mobiles and even wallets .The staff collect these items and safe keep till the morning to hand to the rightful owner.
During training of new employees i had at times baited them and any one caught breaking the rule of total trust and honesty they will not become staff members
Our employees are the most loyal ,capable and trusworthy for the house and above all our trusting guests .It is clear in over hundred testimonies from happy guests and their reviews .No one ever in good or bad reviews accused the staff of such a crime as stealing.No one except you.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2011

A friend and I stayed in the hostel twice during a two week period and I found it to be a very comfortable and safe experience where we met fellow travelers who shared information and experiences that assisted with our travels. Staff were immensely helpful in planning our visits to Aleppo, Hama, and Palmyra, organizing drivers whom I rate 100%. They were good drivers, obliging, kind, concerned for our well being and knowledgeable and it made our holiday a huge success. Raymond, the owner of the hostel, is a good guy who does all he can to make his guests' stay safe and enjoyable. The hostel is not 5 star accommodation but it has a good feel and I wouldn't hesitate to go back, in fact I can't wait! Good breakfast included in the price and great entertainment watching the tortoises and rabbits who are hostel residents.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends

Been to Damascus Hostel? Share your experiences!