“Everyone should be staying here.”
Review of Old Vine Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Damascus
Old Vine Hotel
Ranked #23 of 59 Hotels in Damascus
Reviewed 28 August 2009

Found this gem of a hotel through TripAdvisor. Quaint 17th century-style refurbished guesthouse in the middle of Damascus' Old City. The location alone is worth the stay, with amenities like high-speed Internet, boutique rooms and an incredibly hospitable staff as added bonuses.

A note for business travelers: they don't have a business center but will gladly let you use their printer/copier and computer.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 August 2009

From being greeted at the airport by a hotel representative to leaving and needing to find or taxi, the staff of the Old Vine Hotel couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. Each member of staff took ownership of the hotel; nothing we requested was too much trouble. The Old Vine is in a wonderful location for all cultural and sightseeing needs. Immediately we got the feeling of Damascus when walking to the hotel. I don't believe we could have found a better place to stay!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2009

This hotel is absolutely delightful. It is one of only half a dozen or boutique hotels in Damascus that are converted ancient houses. This is possibly the closest one into the centre of the Old City. It's about 2-5 minutes walk from Souq Hamidiyyeh, Azem Palace and the Ummayad Mosque.

The staff were lovely and helpful and a porter came to pick us and our luggage up from our taxi on the main road as the entire area is pedestrianised. Read up on your ancient Syrian architecture before you come and you'll be even more impressed.

It's small, quiet and full of old world charm. Mainly European tourists. Very good breakfast. Lovely rooms filled with antique mother of pearl furniture. All the mod cons including TV, Air Con, mini fridge, safe, ensuite bathroom with hairdryer....etc.

I would definitely go again!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2009

This is one of the better value options to stay in a converted old Damascen house in the heart of the old town.
The staff were excellent, friendly and helpful and the hotel really is in probably the best location in the old town, a minute's walk from the Ummayadd mosque and the souk.
The room was tastefully decorated in the keeping with the style of the building with beautiful Arabic furniture inlaid with mother of pearl.
Breakfast is taken in the pleasant and verdant courtyard.
It was a little pricey but worth it for the location and beautiful room.
The only problem we encountered was the Shii shrine opposite the entrance, where at lunch time, hundreds of Iraqi shii pilgrims packed the narrow alleys making it nearly impossible to get to the hotel - but that was an experience in itself.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2009

The Old Vine is a gem. The location, near the Gate of Paradise and a few hundred meters from the Omayyad mosque, is excellent for walks through the most bustling parts of the souks and for wonderful dinners just five minutes walk away. The rooms are all different and very nice. Sitting in the restored coutryard with its fountain is a delight. The good breakfast is served by a very nice lady. The service of the reception is really good in organizing day trips or car rentals. The help provided to solve a complicated logistical problem was really exceptional, I thought. It is not cheap, but a real treat. It made our stay in Damascusvery special.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2009

In June, my 20 year old daughter traveled to Damascus to study for 2 months. She needed lodging for 7 to 10 days as she looked for more long-term housing. I was nervous about our daughter going there alone and wanted to make sure she would be in a welcoming, helpful, upscale hotel that would watch out for her and yet not break the bank. The Old Vine Hotel was a perfect place for her. The hotel was in a quiet side street out of the hussle-bustle, from the pictures she sent I could see that it had old world charm, but very adequate modern services. But the most special thing about the hotel was its personal service and commitment to my daughter being comfortable, taken care of, helped in anyway she needed, and responsive to my communications. They went above and beyond what any hotel I know would have done.
We found Old Vine Hotel through TripAdvisor and read the review carefully and then I contacted them directly via email. Right from the beginning, I received personal communication in excellent English. Based upon my daughter's experience and their communications with me, I recommend this hotel very highly. I am forever thankful for their kind care, accurate directions, and excellent service for my daughter in her 8 day stay at Old Vine Hotel. Here is what my daughter writes:

"The Old Vine is a lovely boutique hotel situated in Old Damascus near the Shiite shrine of Seyyida Roquayya. The hotel itself is a traditional Damascene home built around an open air courtyard and a beautiful rooftop terrace with views of the great Omayyad Mosque. It’s a quiet oasis in the middle of the bustling Old City.

The rooms are beautifully decorated with old Damascene prints and antiques. They are equipped with very powerful AC, television, refrigerator, and tea kettle. Unlike many hotels in Damascus, the Old Vine is located on a quiet side street removed from the noise of honking cars, etc.

The staff is very helpful and most speak good English. During my stay, they picked me up from the airport at 2 A.M., called me taxi cabs every day, made reservations for me at the two best restaurants I’ve been to in Old Damascus, and at the end of my stay, brought my suitcases by push cart through the streets to my new house a 10-minute walk away.

Breakfast is more than adequate with Western cereal, eggs, tea, juice, and toast as well as a traditional Syrian offering of cheeses, olives, and apricots. The courtyard with its greenery, fountain, and lounge pillows is a nice place to read or check emails via the hotel’s WiFi. The location is very convenient for students and tourists who will spend most of their time in the Old City with its souqs, ancient gates, and historically significant sites.

I couldn’t have been happier with my stay at the Old Vine. It’s a very reasonable price for so beautiful and well-appointed hotel in the Old City – a much better location for tourists than many of the large chain hotels, such as the Four Seasons situated on a large avenue in the New City."

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I booked this hotel because the Reviews were great and it looked like it would offer a discreet, personal service. Not so! Firstly, I didn't experience the fabulous service that everyone goes on about in their reviews. I found the staff spoke little or no english except for one - the lady manager who was there in the mornings - who was the only member of staff that did assist. There were niggly little things throughout my week's stay such as, without telling me, on the Monday afternoon (2 days after arrival) I found workmen were doing work in my room. They had taken a huge, floor to ceiling, wide mirror off the wall and placed it alongside my bed. That situation remained the same until I complained on the Wednesday when I asked when it would be moved away from my bed as it was very irritating. They offered to give me another room - which would have meant I would have had to pack all my things and move upstairs - which I declined to do - the answer should have been they moved the mirror. Notwithstanding this, they don't actually make the bed - they merely fold over the sheets.

But, be warned, this is the first hotel I have stayed at anywhere in the world that I have been charged a 12% additional charge and a 3% charge for paying by credit card - which added a whopping big US$150 to my final bill - which is not what I had budgeted for. Not only that - I wanted to pay in dollars because the exchange rate is better but, the hotel calculate it in Euros then convert it to dollars so you end up getting a worse deal.

This does not represent value for money at all - I have stayed in 5 star big name chain hotels which I can book on line for cheaper than this room cost me for the week. There is nothing I can say to commend it - it is hugely expensive for what you get, the service isn't good - quite disdainful actually - and I left with the distinct impression that I had somehow been taken advantage of as a british tourist. There are far better deals to be had in Damascus who would offer more than this hotel can.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Sallybowles53

Been to Old Vine Hotel? Share your experiences!