“Home ... without the housework!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Al-Madinah / City Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Damascus
Al-Madinah / City Hotel
Ranked #11 of 72 Hotels in Damascus
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Home ... without the housework!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

I couldn't have summed it better, the hotel made each and every membr of my family feel as though we weren't just guests but part of their family.
The staff were very helpful and accommodating, and took into account our needs and helped to organize our visit around damascus and its outskirts.
Anyone that has asked with regards to our trip, have been told about this amazing hotel that we visited. We are all praise for it and the fact that people can go out of their way to do more than just what is required of them, deserves much more than just words of appreciation.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

Stayed here with my wife and teenage son. Found the hotel extremely clean and the staff were very friendly, helpful and genuinely nice people. I think this hotel gets its good ratings for its staff more than anything else, and why not? this is what makes ones stay memorable.

Tehran
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

The location and the free WiFi are the best things about this hotel. It's near both the old and new city and best of all it's very near to The National Museum.

About other things:

First of all I should mention that if you're Iranian and you're planning to choose this hotel, take my advice and book your hotel online and you'll see all the good things that people have said about this hotel. Otherwise, if you go with Iranian tours, the standards will go way down to a completely different level.
The first two floors of the hotel are for Iranian tours with average (and sometimes below average) decoration and services. On the other floors you'll see a completely different deoration, bigger rooms and much better service.
My husband and I were expecting a double kingsize bed (that we've seen and heard in this website) but we ended up with a small room with 3 single beds! I called the receptionist and told him that I wanted a different room. He said " I can't because I haven't (he meant I don't have!)" and hung up on me without saying anything. Very rude!

There was no sign of the nice breakfast that many people have talked about. It consisted of bread, tea, milk, hard boiled egg, cheese, butter and jam. We saw some Asian and Europian guests in the lobby sometimes but the servants took big trays of breakfast to their rooms. We almost never saw them in the restaurant as I guess it was again only for Iranian tours.
The first two floors didn\t have any kind of view. Our room's view was a big alley full of old little shops and taxis that stopped there for taking a rest I guess.
The staff were nice and knew a bit Farsi(Persian) too. Even the receptionist that I mentioned on the first day became nice after a while but had a bad impact on the first impression you usually get from a person or a place you get to know for the first time.

If you're from another country other that Iran, this review would not apply to you and you can be sure that you'll get all the good service.

Room Tip: Near the old town and National Museum
  • Stayed April 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SSami1980
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2011

the hotel was perfectly located,a short walk to the old city and many other desirable sites. our room was not huge but well spaced and very clean. we stayed for 4 nights total and never ever considered another option, this place was perfect for experiencing Middle Eastern culture. most notable about our stay here was the staff, outstanding service, well exceeded our expectations

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

My daughter and I stayed here for three days in mid April. We were greeted with tea in the lovely lobby, and started each day with an excellent Middle Eastern breakfast. The rooms were immaculate, and the hotel is well located for walking to the old city, with its lovely mosque and fascinating narrow streets and marketplace and excellent restaurants. It's also an easy walk to modern downtown Damascus. The staff here are wonderful -- very helpful with our travel plans and solicitous of our welfare. My daughter is a fluent Arabic speaker, but we could have gotten by with just my English. I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel to any traveler to Syria.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

Al Madinah is excellent on all counts and we will stay here again on our next visit to Damascus. The rooms were clean, quiet and comfortable; the included breakfast was good; and the staff provided top-notch service. They arranged transport from the airport and were happy to answer any questions we had.

It's a short walk to the Old City and a block from the Tekkiye Mosque and the National Museum. Overall a great value and a place we highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2011
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

how good is this place!
A real gem in the heart of Damascus
Really helpful people and clean
Walk to the Souk & old quarter-lazy 10 minutes
Walk to the Museum 3 minutes
Walk to the PO and Station 3 minute easy
Across (actually under) the bridge and you're at the main bank strip (5 minutes)
and wait there's more
Tar'eh and the guys couldn't do enough to help, putting us in touch with reputable tour operators, where to go frankly discussing the pros & cons of different sites around Syria
Good showers / bathrooms clean as a whistle
Give this hotel very serious consideration when you plan your trip to Damascus
and you have to love the decor - it's simply unique and well worth the stay to see

Room Tip: just ask for what you want
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Al-Madinah / City Hotel? Share your experiences!