Swiss International Omayad
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Large rooms with high ceilings, and very near the newly built city landmark Four Seasons, which is how all the taxi drivers can get you to the Omayad. We arrived at 0630 and they kindly gave us a room. Being near the four seasons and Tekkiye Sulemaniye, is also nice but the girl at the concierge desk who claimed to be a native of Damascus and saw the Tekkiye and the hotel on a map had no clue about which street led down to the Tekkiye. These are the only plus points of the hotel. Some of the rooms are tired and dated. We had to change rooms at midnight as we were right under the 4th floor disco (attracts a posh local crowd) and the volume went up at that time. The breakfast ingredients are not the quality one would expect of the price, bread is midling, fresh vegetables not so fresh, juices are diluted squashes, croissants not fresh. Most important, it looks like all the tourists are going to the boutique hotels in the old town, so a place like this in the commercial district is not buzzing at all. The guests are mostly European business men on expense accounts, and its easy to see why; this hotel is very poor value for money at USD $200 a night including breakfast. The saga around the bill was very annoying; it was prepared in arabic, hand written, and a US Dollar total was written at the bottom, when the confirmation email quoted the rates in Euros. No clarity on what exchange rate was used. No clarity on what the rate with or without breakfast was. One manager said the rate always included breakfast, the emails quoted rates with and without breakfast, and none of the numbers added up. It all points in the same direction: if you are a business man on an expense account this hotel MAY work for you. Even then, avoid a third floor room. How the Swiss hotel group put their badge on this hotel just baffles me. A clean bathrobe in plastic and slippers should not be enough to qualify for the badge. Toiletries were 3rd rate, furniture not wiped down properly. I think youve read enough.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank masumeLondon
Reviewed 29 April 2010

I was recently delayed in Damascus with a group of English tourists because of the Icelandic volacano. We were only meant to stay at the Omayad Hotel, Damascus, for one night before catching our flight the next day. In the end we stayed there for a week. The hotel could not have been kinder and more sympathetic to us, despite the uncertainty of our situation. What could have been a disaster turned out to be a real pleasure. We were treated with exemplary politeness, hospitality and generosity. Depsite the inconvenience and inevitable frustrations of being delayed I count myself extremely lucky to have had a few extra days in Damascus. Indeed I was so impressed by the way we were treated by the Omayad Hotel that I wrote to the Syrian ambassador in London immediately on my return because I felt I had to tell someone how good they had been.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
16  Thank LondonSimeon
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Our expectations for this hotel were fairly low. At times it exceeded our expectations but we were disappointed a few times. The rooms are huge and we loved the inner door that blocked out noise from the corridor and bathroom. Although the room decor was severely outdated (think Moscow early 1970s), the bathroom was recently renovated and had all modern conveniences and great water pressure. Unfortunately it wasn't 100% clean (let's give it an 90% score) and we were upset to come back on our first full day to find that our room had not been cleaned by the housekeeping staff. After discussing the problem with the front desk and a very unfriendly housekeeping supervisor named Ms. Houba, the cleaning staff immediately showed up and gave our room the cleaning of a lifetime. The front desk staff was uniformly friendly although a couple of the girls who worked the morning shift did not understand English very well. We were helped at night by a charming and friendly desk clerk named Hasan who assisted us with dinner reservations on a Friday (many establishments are closed on Fridays). We liked the friendly touches like the bottles of fruit juice and the box of Ghraoui chocolates (a famous candy store near the hotel on Port Said St.) that was left in our room shortly after check in. We also thought the Easter eggs that the maid left that Sunday were cute. Although the hotel was not far from the Old City (probably about 1.5 km), you want to preserve your feet for the long walks you'll be doing inside the Old City. Taxis are plentiful. If they won't use the meter, you could easily negotiate a trip from here to the Old City for 50 S.P. (about US $1.10). Overall, I would recommend the Omayad as a backup for tourists who cannot get reservations at the often full hotels with higher T.A. rankings or to business people who only use their room to sleep.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Chiquitita
Reviewed 27 February 2010

My dad and I stayed here for 3 nights after a crappy guesthouse in Beirut so we welcomed Omayad with open arms. The staff were great and fun. I think they thought it was odd to see a father and daughter from the US traveling together.

Our room was gigantic. One of the largest I've ever seen in a hotel. Ceilings were about 30 feet. Again, this was just our room. Not sure about the other rooms. We couldn't get the Wifi to work in the room or in the lobby for that matter. There are restrictions as to what content you can look at so the secure code they gave me for my laptop did not work. However, they had a community computer in the lobby that worked just fine. The lobby area was bustling and comfortable. Many sofa's, tables, chairs and people coming and going.

Rooms were clean with regular western amenities; satellite TV, phone, mini bar.

• Stayed: May 2009
8  Thank lalikes
Reviewed 26 February 2010

We were in Damascus to film a documentary for the Belgian television and stayed in de Omayad hotel. We had a good time there. The staff was extremely friendly and flexible and the rooms were, considering the price, much nicer then we all expected. Spacious, clean and nice. For business it is very well located and also walking distance from the beautifull old city.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business