Beit Al Mamlouka
All reviewschristian quarterold citydamascene housebeautiful boutique hotelstayed nightsbeitsuitecourtyardheartcharacterdrawingtreasure
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 December 2012

The on-going disastrous conditions in Syria make us treasure even more our stay in this hotel in January 2009. The rooms were exceptionally beautiful and authentic, the staff very charming and helpful. This hotel has no restaurant, however the breakfast was just amazing. We highly recommend this hotel, if the political conditions permit. I must also say that my wife and I found the Syrians in the old town and in the nearby Souk most warm and friendly. We made life-long friends in Syria, and we will travel there again as soon as it's possible.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank drwk64
Reviewed 1 November 2012

The location is great in the old historical center of Damascus . The satff are very nice and helpful
Our room was beatiful , very clean and quite at night .
We'recommend this wondweful hotel without hesitation .

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank jhon k
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Neglected to review our stay from June 2010, but had a completely magical stay at Al Mamlouka - one of my favorite hotel stays ever, in fact. From the serene courtyard to the beautiful furnishings to our museum-like room (akin to staying in the Damascus room at the Met Museum), to the outstandingly friendly service and the great location in the old town, we felt lucky to have stayed here, and wish everyone there - and in Syria - well. Here's hoping to a return soon. (Note: The photo on my tripadvisor profile, a blue glass candle holder, was taken in the hotel's courtyard).

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank nyc2theworld
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed at beit almamlouka 3 nights. I was the only guest as the situation in Syria is so tense , but the staff was marvelous and made me feel like home . Beit Almamlouka has only 8 rooms beautifully decorated and full of charm .There is no restaurant in the hotel , but a variation of pleasant Syrian breakfast is served in the bar . The staff working impeccably as a team and very focused upon making the stay a very enjoyable experience .
Thank you all for taking such goog care of me and i hope that things improve and i can come back soon .

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank christian d
Reviewed 23 April 2012

A few days ago I came home after six wonderful days at the Beit al Mamlouka in Damascus. I could sum up my impression in one small piece of information: already during my stay I contacted my work and started to look for tickets in order to return as soon as possible!
I have been working in the travel sector since 1997, the last 5 as contract manager for a Scandinavian agency, so believe me when I say that this hotel is unique, a gem, and the best place I have ever stayed. The hotel is quite simply flawless in my eyes: the cleanliness of the rooms is extraordinary, the helpfulness and kindness of the staff is admirable, the sheer beauty of the courtyard, the rooms and the bar/breakfast room is memorable, the position is perfect, etc. etc.
But maybe the best of it all is the atmosphere, even in these for Syria so unstable times. This was my sixth visit to Damascus in five years, and for me the Beit al Mamlouka is the apotheosis of Damascus and its population: friendly, open minded and dignified, with its mix of different Christian confessions and Muslims working and living side by side in peace in complete tolerance.
In these times, with almost no tourists in Damascus, you get the further advantage of coming into closer contact with the staff and their family and friends who look by for a chat and a cup of coffee. You are invited to join them for as long as you want, which is so immensely relaxing and soothing for the soul after a long day of strolling the streets.
My regards, my thanks and my “see you soon” to one and all of the staff of the Beit al Mamlouka, and my deep recognition to the owner, Tony, who was of course present every day, for his choice of keeping the hotel open, with reception 24 hours a day, in meager times like these. May his resolution be rewarded, I will at least do my part as soon as my work permits it!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo