“A home away from home”

Ranked #10 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Cheltenham
“A home away from home”
Reviewed 18 May 2010

I found this gem of a hotel quite by accident.

It was the early hours of the morning and I'd arrived in Abu Dhabi on the late flight for a 3 month business trip. Having been unable to locate my designated hotel I stopped at the Cristal to ask directions and call my hotel. On finding that my designated hotel had no record of my reservation the duty manager at the Cristal offered me a room for the night and for the duration of my stay if required. Needless to say I took him up on his kind offer and experienced what I must say was an excellent 3 months at the Cristal as part of their "family".

The Cristal really does excel at attention to detail and manages the difficult balance between efficient operations and customer comfort and satisfaction. The staff lead by MD Peter Blackburn and his management team are the best in Abu Dhabi in my opinion and this is supported by the fact that many of them have come to the Cristal from other high quality hotels in the city. The staff are friendly, happy, eager to please, committed, interested in the guests and keen to progress in their careers and this makes a big difference.

The hotel is in the heart of Abu Dhabi within easy reach of the beach, shopping malls, cultural and commercial amenities. As with most developing cities there is construction work going on in the surrounding area near the Cristal and I appreciate that this may cause some travellers concerns. For me it wasn't an issue, just like the call to prayer at 5am it's part of life in Abu Dhabi and just like with the time difference, most seasoned travellerslearn toadapt.

The Cristal has an excellent gym and spa that I used frequently. The restaurant provides an excellent wide-ranging buffet with regular themed nights and there is a ground floor coffee shop where you may well find the senior team, (Peter, Kamal and Hamdan) having finished work for the day, chatting with guests, planning the next innovations for Cristal Hotel and putting the world to rights.

During my 3 month stay the level of service never dropped. The staff all remembered my name and even accurately pre-empted my requests. I was treated as a valued guest and received a back-of-house tour which tells you a lot about what’s really going on behind the scenes in hotels. That said, back-of-house at the Cristal is truly the secret of their success and many of the 5 star hotels could learn a lot from this 4 star little gem.

Thanks guys, I will most definitely be requesting to stay at the Cristal for all my future visits.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Spain
Reviewed 12 May 2010

Quite a good hotel:
- Room service food is good
- Internet included
- Good location
- Pool and fitness center are good

but some bad points from my experience:
- At arrival my room was not ready even though the travel agency had booked early arrival.
I was upgraded to a suite with an extra charge of 100 AED. But I think this was done on purpose just to book their suite since my collegue arrived some days later and samething was told to him.
- One laundry bag was taken from my room even though I did not want them to and I had not filled the paper.
- The restaurant is just buffet and it is ok but not a big choice and they are many better restaurants in town.
- It's a shame some TV channels (sports) are only shown in the bar downstairs and not available in the rooms.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
cristalhotel, Front Office Manager at Cristal Hotel Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 15 May 2010
Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for your comments about your stay at the Cristal Hotel; In general we understand that you enjoyed your stay.
Concerning the points you mentioned, we would like to clarify that 10 hot dishes are served on the buffet in addition to the live cooking corner as well as the 2 types of roasted items, no buffet in town is offering that number of dishes on one buffet.
About the laundry apologies for the inconvenience, therefore as my investigations shows that it was granted for you, if not, please claim it back on your next stay.

The Sports channels displayed in the cafe are our cafés selling tool to attract people to our cafe, hope you will understand our strategy.

The suite was up sold to you after a mutual agreement with the agent upon check in, we usually get the guest signature as approval on the special deal of 100AED, which is very reasonable amount in this country (a suite for only 100 EAD additional/ optional -if guest agrees)

Sir, we again thank you for your comments, hope we answered your concerns and we will remain at your service for any additional requirements or suggestions.

Regards

Joseph El Hajj
Front Office Manager
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 12 May 2010

Service is so nice, room is really good also and it's always clean. It's a nice place at least for a business trip. I didn't have enough time to see all the facilities on the hotel, so I couldn't add a review as a hotel for a family trip.
General view of it is that is really nice.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business

Families can also enjoy their stay with us, our indoor pool is a get away place for children, and it is attended at all times by a lifeguard; On Fridays we entertain our children on lunch at the restaurant. Beside this our hotel is walking distance from the shopping mall and a small children corner is also available.
Room service serves special children menus.

Hope I answered your concern and looking forward to welcome you back.

Regards

Joseph EL Hajj
Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 9 May 2010

This is a nice hotel..conveniently located. The ambience matches the best... However the food options are not very attractive.

1 Thank DinesAbuDhabi
cristalhotel, Front Office Manager at Cristal Hotel Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 12 May 2010
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback about the Cristal Hotel, We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were comfortable in our hotel.

Concerning the meals choices, we would like to inform you that our Gems restaurant serves daily international buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner, along with Asian corner, Italian live cooking, Arabic dishes as well as the choice for hot dish with a desert or just a salad with desert or the full buffet; even a la carte is available.

The Blendz cafe open 24/7, were we serve sandwiches, snacks, fresh juices, hot beverages...in addition to our 24 hour room service.

Sir, we thank you again for your comments and on your next visit, I will personally make sure that an orientation tour will be done around the hotel outlets and facilities upon your convenience in order to better introduce you to our facilities.

Looking forward to welcome you back

Joseph EL Hajj
Dubai
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I have visited many hotels in Dubai, Abu Dhabi & other Emirates:
I rate this hotel as one of my favourite Hotels. I visited Cristal Hotel with my family and alone. I have been offered for free, a suite room.

The hotel in general has:
- Very Comfortable stay
- Very Pleasent staff
- Very relaxed & romance beds
- Very nice health club, with advanced machines.
- Very good food, (excellent buffet)
- Free Internet
- Everything is reachable as the hotel located in the middle of the city.
- The best I like is the staffs, and the quality of the rooms, along with the location.

The hotel in general does NOT have:
- No Kids play area
- No large swimming pool for adult
- No Swimming pool for kids
- in general the hotel misses the kids facility (or family facilities in general).
- No Beach

I do recommend this hotel for business.

1 Thank Mamoon20
Dear Sir,

We are glad to know that you and your familly enjoyed your stay in the hotel...Eventhough we are a businmess hotel, our location do not allow for an external pool, but we are walking distance from th public beach at the Corniche area.

On the other hand, on Fridays brunches a kids playarea with baby sitter service is always provided.

Thank yu again for staying with us, on the next stay, we can show you the walking distance close by mmall where kids playgrounds and facilities are available.

Looking forward to welcome you back.

regards

Joseph El hajj
Sydney Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2010

This was the most reasonably priced Hotel that I could find in Abu Dhabi on the internet. After flying from country to country for over six weeks this was definitely the best value and highest quality of hotel that I have experienced. The room was spacious, staff courteous and efficient. Combined with a fabulous breakfast, exercise gym and pool. This is where I will stay again when I return.
Regardless of your reason for the stay. Make sure that you go on a half day dune safari. It was the highlight of the tourist activities that I did.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank SydneyAustraliaKen
Dear Sir,

We are glad to know that you rated us one of the best hotels that you visited during the last 6 weeks of travelling.

Looking forward to welcome you back.

regards

Joseph El hajj
UK
Reviewed 24 April 2010

We were placed at this hotel by Etihad airways, after being stranded by the volcanic ash situation. It could not have been better. On arrival at the hotel, confused and concerned, we were greeted by friendly, efficient and considerated hotel management and front desk staff. They immediately made us feel welcome and ensured that our needs were catered for by sending us to the 17th floor buffet resturant whilst the rooms were prepared. We have had many buffet meals in 4 and 5 star hotels and were very pleasant pleased to find a good choice of ethnic and international fair, including a 'live kitchen' cooking to a theme (and a great dessert table). The hotel's chef was present at most meals making suggestions and listening to clients comments and thoughts on the food. A 4 star hotel with 5 star service is their aim (a comment from the food and beverage manager, Alfred Lobo) - we believe that they are not far off achieving it.
The rooms were spacious and comfortable - designed for the business traveller with access to high speed broadband and an up to date telephone system ( I use a similar one in my office) - very impressed with the overall package and the combination of quality hospitality, good food, attentive staff, management who listen and care about your views of the hotel and what appears to be good conference facilities make this a promising venue for business meetings and conferences. Having been to many conferences in my time I would put this close to the top.
However having been 'stranded' it was a very pleasant experience, a good location in downtown Abu Dhabi made it easy for shopping and accessing key points of interest.
I would look forward to returning to the Cristal in different circumstances on business or liesure.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ramnorman
cristalhotel, Front Office Manager at Cristal Hotel Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 25 April 2010
It was indeed a great pleasure to host you in the Cristal Hotel Abu Dhabi and It was a valuable opportunity for us to introduce you to our hotel and glad to know that you had a comfortable stay at the Cristal Hotel.

We look forward to being of service to you in the close future with more pleasant situations.

Meanwhile, we assure you of our best services and prompt attention at all times, we highly appreciate your comments

Yours Sincerely,