“Bright, friendly, relaxing hotel ….. value with verve”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Abu Dhabi Yas Island
Ranked #40 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Manila, Philippines
“Bright, friendly, relaxing hotel ….. value with verve”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Stayed three nights, and left quite satisfied. To start with, I received an upgrade to a sea-view standard room (not much of a “sea”, but I welcomed the view of turquoise waters and a green tree-less golf course, giving me that “oasis in the desert” feeling).

My second floor room was bright and adequately lighted (the way I like it!), modern (cheery contemporary vibe) and well-appointed. There was lots of room to stretch out, even though I was given a room with two single beds rather than my preferred king bed (can’t complain, I was grateful for the upgraded view). The wavy carpet design may not please everyone, but I liked it …. and the severe dark browns of the headboard, furniture, carpet and closets were relieved by those funky waves and splashes of bright orange and green on wall murals.

Good stuff: Ample storage space in drawers and shelves ….
fluffy white robes for my use …
lots of complimentary water to drink (one huge bottle plus two smaller bottles, better than any hotel I’ve tried --- or is it a staple for hot desert days?) ….
lots of charging outlets for a variety of battery chargers ...
huge mirrors, at least 3 in the room itself ....
a nice little balcony (that I never got to use) ....
a new, still-polished feel to the whole room.
The bathroom was also well-lighted, clean and spacious. The round table under the corner lamp was perfect for laptop work and snacks. (What I missed: a stuffed, comfy armchair for lounging and TV watching.)

Less-than-good stuff: Too many protruding chair legs and sharp corners in room, so watch out ….
the trash can in the bathroom was needlessly tiny, with a tricky metal lid ….
plumbing sounds (tub draining, toilet flushing) are loud and distracting ….
The tub drain worked very, very slowly …
the blue rubber guest slippers were rough and itchy, and thus virtually useless (good thing I packed a pair of my own) ....
Supply of room amenities was inconsistent (only one tiny soap slab on day 1 … toothbrush/toothpaste supplied only on day 3 … no writing stationery provided on all 3 days, except for tiny little note pads), but I fault myself for not calling housekeeping to ask for more supplies.

Surprise treat: On night 3, I found an inviting snack selection arrayed on my round table --- cheese, olives, bread & tomatoes. Since I returned to my room close to midnight, the bread was a little bit stale (must have been there since the afternoon), but I nonetheless appreciated the unexpected snack.

Great stuff: Friendly staff, accommodating and prompt service everywhere (front desk, room service), especially at the Asymettri restaurant for breakfast. My congratulations to the Radisson Blu team! A special mention to Jocelyn D. (sales coordinator) and Ruby B. (events director) who went out of their way to help me and my colleagues in setting up a meeting room for our strategy sessions (alas, this was a business trip) and pampering us with food and special attention to our needs.

The breakfast buffet at Assymetri: I found the selection rather limited (compared to many other hotels in Asia), but all the basics were there, and the food was tasty enough. There was an Arabic mezze (did I spell that right?) selection I favored, and there were pancakes, French toast, a choice of sausages, a cheese tray and lots of bread available every day. (Rice was served only on my third day.) The food hall was airy, bright, inviting, with lots of tables to choose from (much better than the crowded, cramped breakfast buffet halls in some other hotels I’ve stayed in).

The hotel façade was undergoing repairs during my stay, so I had to put up with some unsightly fencing and scaffolding at the lobby entry area …. but, thankfully, there was no noise.

Final verdict: This is a very good hotel, perfectly decent for a business trip if you’re working in or around the Yas Island and Abu Dhabi airport area (as I was). I hope they set up a free shuttle service to the city center, which is quite far away. I used to think that Abu Dhabi was a bit parched (sorry) for good hotels at reasonable prices. Some years back, I recall paying a high price for average hotels like the Crowne Plaza (at Abu Dhabi city center) and the disappointing Khalidiya Hotel (it was a Sheraton hotel when I stayed there in 2007). The Radisson Blu gave my group a decent-value price (about USD80 per standard room), and for that we got comfortable rooms, great service in most aspects, and an overall enjoyable stay. Oasis, indeed.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank wingdaddy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manila
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza located in downtown Abu Dhabi during my last trip. That was a USD200++ a night affair for what was, all things considered, a fairly mediocre room (but a reasonably good breakfast). This time around, it was USD80 a night for a pretty good room and a reasonably good breakfast.

If I gave the Crowne Plaza 3-stars then, I guess I can't fairly give the Radisson the same rating, can I?

My room had -- two double beds; an IHome system that doubled as an I-device charger (always welcome); an LCD TV - with a good selection of channels; a mini-bar with 3 complimentary bottles of water (1 1 liter, 1 500ML and 1 500ML sparkling, a necessity in a very hot Abu Dhabi September :); a good sized closet with wooden hangers; and a balcony overlooking the pool and golf course. The airconditioning worked well and succeeded in keeping my room a nice 17C.

The design of the room was contemporary but, sigh, fairly nondescript. It did not have that little something that really stood out, except, possibly, for the textured wall on one side. I should also mention that I got a smoking room (evidenced by the ashtray on the side table). (I forgot to ask for a non-smoking one). While there was a noticeable smell of stale cigarette smoke when I first entered, it faded pretty quickly (or my nose just adapted pretty quickly).

The bath was a shower tub combination. Sigh. (For my money, if a hotel room can't have both a tub and a free standing shower, I'd rather have the free standing shower. But that's neither here nor there.) Water pressure was gorgeous! Absolutely brilliant! If only all hotels had the Radisson's water system. The water heater worked well, with water going from cold to hot fairly quickly. The towels were good (but not great). The toiletries on offer were from some house brand rather than a well known high-end brand. The bath had a throne (+ hose) and a bidet., not something you often find in hotels. The washbasin was a free-standing vessel mounted on the counter-top. There's a clothes line as well, if you need it. Finally, granite/marble counter-tops and floor.

I should mention the smell, though. I can't quite identify it but the bath had this smell near the toilet. It was faint but noticeable and, more importantly, it lingered.

Breakfast was okay. Good selection and mix of Arabic and Western foods. Plus the Filipino staff made sure that their fellow countrymen (and women) felt welcome.

Lobby was another contemporary affair and fairly spacious. The lighting fixture over the front desks was a nice touch.

Internet access's complimentary, was fairly speedy and had good coverage throughout the hotel.

A note on the location. As its name makes clear, the Radisson's located in Yas Island. If you're hoping for a downtown location this is not the hotel you should be looking at. Yas island does have its attractions though. However, I regret to say that I had no opportunity to explore the island, as I was in Abu Dhabi on business. Ferrari World, the F1 track, Ikea, and the marina, all so close yet so far.

In any case, all in all, considering that I paid only about USD80 a night, the hotel earns its 4 (okay, maybe a little bit less, say a 3.8) stars.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank PhTravelling_Guy
Kabul, Afghanistan
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed here for 2 days, one night, to visit Ferrari World. The room faced the water and golf course, which provided a very nice view. The staff were very helpful and professional. The restaurants were world class, also with staff that were very helpful and professional. I will stay here again for the F1 event in November at Yas Marina Circuit.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank richlundeen
uk
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We booked this as we needed a stopover hotel and found that they allowed 2 kids in the room free of charge using existing bedding! We have 2 kids but didnt want seperate rooms for cost and also like to know they are in the same room for safety reasons. We usually stay in Novotels and they state the same. Kids under 16 free. Usually when hotels state this, there is a sofa bed to pull down or put up bed available, so we presumed Radisson were the same. When we got to the room, there was one bed, and Radisson expect you to be able to sleep 2 adults and 2 teenagers in one bed!!!!!!! Sorry but I dont think so! When booking it online it asks ages of kids. It may be ok for 2 adults and 2 very small kids but certainly not teenagers. We were in a position where we had no option but to upgrade to a suite, at virtually double the cost. Even then one child slept on the sofa, and one on a pull up bed. This is not the fault of the hotel itself, but Radisson in general. I think they should make it more clear on their website that there are no sofabeds. in the rooms,or betterstill provide them! Apart from that, the hotel is good. Great views. Nice staff but a bit far from the town centre.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank litaUk
Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 20 hours as a stop over for our 4 & 2 year olds very efficient, friendly and accomodating staff. Easy location from the airport, nice and quiet, relaxing, a great pool area. staff around the pool ate to be commended for their care and diligence in looking out for the many children. Very comforting to have an extra eye looking out for the kids. Was going to book in the city on our return but will stay here again as we enjoyed our stay due to the facilites and friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2012
Adelaide
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed in a standard room for 2 nights as a stop over to Europe. We arrived in the early hours of the morning and found the staff from the time we arrived until we left very friendly and very helpful. Our room was large and faced the racing circuit. The bathroom was large with a shower over the bath. There is free wifi in the rooms. The buffet breakfast is excellent but we found that if you arrived early as we did as we were heading to the airport the hot food was ready but cold but in saying that you can order eggs the way you like them. A lovely swimming pool area and well equiped gym. There is a free shuttle to the Abu Dhabi Mall which is about 20 minutes away, this gives you a chance to see more of Abu Dhabi and there is also some other shops across the road from the mall. Be aware of the men at the airport who state to be taxi drivers that charge 60 to 70 dirhams but they take you in their private cars, the taxi is 20 to 25 dirhams to the hotel. We look forward to staying for 4 nights on our home.

Room Tip: We had breakfast included in our rate.