“Great Stay in Abu Dhabi”

Traders Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi
Ranked #35 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great Stay in Abu Dhabi”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Stayed at the Traders Hotel by Shangri La Qaryat al-Beri for 2 nights in August, it was, by far, the best hotel I have stayed at in the UAE; the hotel surpasses many five star hotels.

Our Premier Club room was large and had a comfortable balcony. All expected amenities were present: newspapers, minibar, bathrobes etc. The room was accommodating and big enough for three adults. The view from the room was of the beach and sea.

The beach had no changing facilities, but was quiet and empty when we visited (perhaps due to the high temperatures of August). The hotel also had nice gardens which made for a nice stroll.
The Beach was clean and the life guards were friendly and attentive.

The Club lounge offered a nice variety of evening canapés, though the afternoon tea was slightly disappointing; offerings were small and the taste was just okay. However, this did not take away from the overall hotel experience. Breakfast at Afya was extensive and delicious; I can happily recommend it to anyone.

The staff were polite and attentive throughout our stay. The hotel also provides a free shuttle to Abu Dhabi centre as well as a complementary shuttle to the Souk Qaryat al Beri at the neighbouring Shangri La.

Overall, a fantastic stay and I would definitely consider staying here again if I visited Abu Dhabi again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We checked into this hotel for the weekend of the Rolling Stones concert in Feb 2014. The distance from the stadium on Yas Island was approx 20 km, but the difference in price justified the distance.

We booked rooms on the executive floor, so we could take advantage of the free breakfast, afternoon snacks and the famous Happy Hour when we were in the hotel. As it turned out, we were out and about rather a lot, so didn't make full use of what was on offer, but it is certainly there to enjoy.

Check-in for the exec floors is at the lounge on the 9th floor, so you can march right in and take the elevator/lift up there to complete the formalities. The rooms are clean, spacious and well appointed, with a tidy bathroom and a rain forest style shower. The bed was comfortable and pillows cozy and warm.

Maybe it was because the hotel was full for the concert, but it seemed that the executive lounge was barely prepared for the guests it had to cope with. The staff seemed slow to react and slightly bewildered as dozens of executive guests waited patiently for their breakfast eggs or clean glasses into which to pour their wine . A few more staff might have been helpful.

We didn't try the hotel's Friday brunch, but next door's Shangri-La Hotel offers a fantastic buffet right on the waterfront. It's just a short walk (or shorter buggy ride) from Traders.

In all, a very comfortable stay ideal for a busy weekend in Abu Dhabi.

Room Tip: It's worth booking the executive rooms, to enjoy the easy chieck-in and check-out, breakfasts an...
1 Thank Mark H
ArbindKS, General Manager at Traders Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for choosing Traders Hotel on your recent visit to Abu Dhabi, Mark H. I am glad to learn that you had a lovely stay and you find the Traders Club Lounge value proposition a great option. On the other hand, I regret to learn that due to the high occupancy in the hotel your experience at the lounge during the cocktail hours have somehow marred your staying experience with us. Your feedback is key to assist us in determining where additional efforts will be directed in order to maintain the standard that you have come to expect from the Traders brand. Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and despite the unintended setback, we look forward for the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future. Best regards,
Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed with large educational group visiting a trade fair at the nearby exhibition centre. Good Hotel all round, reception staff a little 'hit and miss', however all other staff ( especially the life guard) very friendly. Bar reasonably priced. Adequate access to taxis from entrance. About 15 minute taxi ride into town. Costs about 25/30 d. Rooms modern, clean and tidy. However quite a loud air conditioning unit. Gym is small but we'll equipped, the emirates isn't really for me but if I was ever back in abudahbi would stay here!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Luke B
Thank you for taking the time and effort to post your review and observations through Trip Advisor, Ibigg. Thank you for your compliments on the hotel's facilities and colleagues, especially on the Life Guards for their friendliness and courteousness.There is certainly nothing more motivating to a service provider than to be acknowledged for a job well done and it's also my pleasure to share your comments as well as my thanks with all team members. On the same note, I regret to learn that your stay did not go as smoothly as we hope. Your feedback is a very important tool to us, as it assists us in evaluating how we can better serve you, and the other valued guests. I hope to welcome you back in the near future. Best regards,
Herts
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The hotel has a great location sandwiched between two more expensive 5* establishments. There is a lovely tranquil walk along the creek. The hotel is smaller than many establishments, but its beach area can become busy. This area is lovely, however, and the service is first class - preparing sun loungers, providing water etc. The hotel has a free shuttle bus service which works brilliantly for the mosque and elsewhere in Abu Dhabi. The staff are all very helpful and the breakfast in the main restaurant has a great range of foods and a number varied day by day (which is great!).

There were two issues, however:

1) We asked for a room with a view when booking and even booked a Traders deluxe (one of the more expensive rooms). The view request was even confirmed when checking in and the chap at reception said it was a nice room with a good view. Ha ha ha! He has clearly having a laugh. The room qualifies for 'worst view ever' (see attached photo). Almost half the rooms suffer from this. If a room with a nice view is high on your list, I would avoid - and clearly paying extra, and mentioning it on the booking and at arrival is no guarantee.

2) Traders Club - not all 'club lounges' are the same... Traders club serves breakfast and has a happy hour from '6-8pm'. Other than this there is nothing other than soft drinks and tea / coffee (plus a couple of bits of cake might make an appearance at some point in the afternoon; this was erratic). Breakfast was a joke... there was one member of staff who was working as hard as possible, but did not stand a chance. The place was packed - every conceivable place taken and so service was an issue as was replenishment (and just about everything else). The buffet downstairs was MUCH better. Then there was the evening...between 6-8pm there were great drinks and some very nice snacks...if you could find a place. The lounge simply isn't designed for these two peaks in trade and given that these are the only times that anything is served, it is no wonder that everyone descends in one go and things go to pieces.

So, great hotel for everything else, but these two issues are genuine issues that should be considered.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view - I'm not sure how you do this since we failed despite the best o...
1 Thank 5_9_2_8
Dear 5_9_2_8, thank you for taking the time and effort to share your staying experience through Trip Advisor. First of all, I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your time at the beach, our facilities and the breakfast at the main restaurant. On the same note, thank you for your kind compliments on our colleagues especially for their helpfulness and courteousness. On the other hand, we are disappointed to learn about the issues you encountered upon your arrival to the hotel and at the Traders Club Lounge. To be able to investigate the issue further, please drop me an email at arbindk.shrestha@shangri-la.com with more details. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you. Best regards,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Due to all of Yas Island Hotels being fully booked during the Rolling Stones Concert, we decided to book a hotel in Abu Dhabi but not too far from Yas Is.

I knew roughly the location of this hotel, but without a GPS, finding it would be difficult, signposting is erratic and this trend is somewhat similar trying to find the Du Arena on Yas Island for the first time too. I digress.

Road works at the entrance of the hotel and lack of signposting resulted in driving past the hotel. I am not a fan of valet parking either but no choice when you arrive at this hotel and unaware of the local area, more about this later.

Check in was pleasant, no issues but I was a bit disappointed with the small size of the club room on the 8th floor. After coffee in the club lounge we left to check out where the concert arena is located at Yas and then returned to change and drive back to Yas, parking the car myself.

The bed is very comfortable, and the bathroom reasonably well fitted, although the shower was disappointing with pathetic water pressure.

Breakfast in the club lounge was exceptional, very filling and a good choice of fare including freshly cooked omelettes etc, good range of tea varieties too.

When picking up my car to collect the other half with the overnight bags, I had a very near miss by a lunatic valet from the hotel driving somebody else's car to the front of the hotel, these people have no respect for other people's property

Room Tip: Ask for a shore facing room if you wish a decent view, the other rooms face inland.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Abu Dhabi, sharkyuae. Your kind compliments on the breakfast at Traders Club Lounge are very much appreciated, therefore I am disappointed to hear that some of your expectations were not met in a few occasions. Your feedback is key to assist us in improving our service and facilities. We trust that despite of this the entire team and I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future. Best regards,
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 22 February 2014

As stated in previous reviews, please be careful when booking the hotel online. Their website states that it is featuring the lowest rates but it is not true...I have found a much better deal on booking.com and all the hotel replied to me when pointing that out was "it was a one-time event"...not a satisfying answer to me. Then I requested for an airport pick-up, I was sent three written confirmations, however when I arrived at the airport nobody was there...I had to ask another airport representative to phone up the hotel, which was a hassle in the morning. The airport representative Mahmoud was very nice and kind, however it left a bitter taste.

The room I was allocated was great with a perfect view and great bathroom - Nothing to complain about.

I tried the main restaurant once for lunch and was not impressed at all. When entering the restaurant there was no hostess so I had to make my way around the restaurant myself in order to find a table. I was surprised about their menu, as it was mainly featuring items which were available via the In Room Dining Menu. The service in the restaurant was rather slow and not what I would call attentive. When asking for the bill, the waiter brought the check without any pen to sig - no eye for detail. Again, when leaving the restaurant, no farewell was given by the staff.

Check out was another rather below-aerage experience. I had asked for a specific time to collect my luggage, however it did not get collected until I had to call down myself again. The check-out procedure itself was so emotionless that the agent did not even ask the minum expetec question "Have you enjoyed yur stay"....I have never experienced such a poor check out anywhere in the world.

All in all, the hotel still needs to invest in proper training for severak of its employees in order to become one of the main players in Abu Dhabi.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your review of our property, MTraveler1986. We are indeed disappointed to hear about your stay with us and we are very concerned about the service issues you have raised. Rest assured that your feedback will be addressed to the relevant departments to ensure corrective action are in place for an immediate improvement. We hope that we shall once again have the opportunity to be of service to you in the near future. Best regards
Hertford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Myself and Wife wanted a resort style holiday with a bit of winter sun and this fitted the bill.

Located a long a stretch of 3 resort hotels Traders is located in the middle between the Fairmont and the Shangri la. There is a nice walkway that links all of the hotels together along the creek front. In between Traders and the Shangri la is a small but nice Souk with a good choice of restaurants, a small supermarket a Starbucks and various other little shops. This feels like a little luxurious area and has good views of the Ritz Carlton and the Grand mosque.

With the combination of the Souk and the various hotels there were plenty of restaurants to choose from which was good as Abu Dhabi itself is about a 20 min taxi ride away. Taxis are cheap in Abu Dhabi though so even this wasn't too much of a problem. It cost around 30 - 40 AED to the corniche/malls.

Thanks to tripadvisor we choose a Traders club room and wasn't disappointed. The room itself was huge had a partial see view and a lovely bathroom with separate bath and shower enclosure. it was very comfortable and clean. it is probably aimed more to the business traveler but it suited us perfectly.

The benefits of a Traders room are well documented but very worth it and i would urge you to pay the extra and enjoy the benefits especially if you will be sticking close by. Breakfast was good, we took full advantage of the free soft drinks throughout the day and the drinks and nibbles in the evening we very welcome.

The little beach was lovely and the service was great. As we headed to a lounger someone would dash to lay down a towel and bought us a cool box with some free bottles of water in it.

We ate at the restaurant one lunch time and had room service on the first night after a late arrival. it was very reasonable and also of a good quality.

The gym was good, the pool was small although we choose to sit at the beach and didn't actually use the pool. Shame it doesn't have things like a sauna, steam room etc. but i guess the idea is you go next door to the Shangri la, unfortunately the spa facilities/treatments were a bit out of our price range ther!

Room Tip: Go for a traders room.
1 Thank Iain M
ArbindKS, General Manager at Traders Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Dear Iain M, thank you for sharing your experience with us and taking the time to post your review and observations through Trip Advisor. I am glad to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and the on line travellers' reviews have assisted you to plan your holiday. Thank you for your kind compliments especially on the beach service. Rest assured that your feed-back and as well as my thanks will be shared with the Team. The entire team is looking forward to welcoming you and your wife back to our hotel soon. Best regards,