“Stayed 2 nights whilst work travelling”

Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi
Ranked #5 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Great hotel; amazing views from the roof top pool; good service. Used the hotel car to get to airport - good service. Good location for Ferrari World - 5 minutes in taxi. Room was large, clean - very modern and view of the race circuit below.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
YasViceroy, Hotel Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Dear AntonyLondon,

Thank you for your brief review on Yas Viceroy. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your short stay with us.

I do hope that we will have you back with us in the near future - next time on leisure I hope.

There are newer reviews for Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi

Reviewed 7 April 2013

We stayed for 6 nights & returned home on Easter Monday. Firstly Abu Dhabi is amazing, there is a lot of development going on but it was still a relaxing/fun place to be. The sky line will change immensely over the next decade.

The Yas Grand suite we booked was outstanding - we particularly loved the big bath tub, rain shower, Nespresso coffee machine (with complimentary capsules) & the balcony which had 3 opening doors & spanned the whole end of the hotel giving us views over most of the F1 circuit, downtown Abu Dhabi and the Marina.

Although we don't have kids we spent a couple of days around the family pool - holidays are all about fun & laughter, and the Life Guards & staff made it a pleasant and relaxing experience for all. Great that the WiFi is available pretty much throughout the hotel including the pool area (and the download speeds are awesome).

The Skylite bar is amazing & DJ Anya created a relaxed atmosphere with super cool lounge tunes every night - she even played some de-constructed lounge versions of some Guns n Roses tunes when GnR were playing in the arena close by.

There were some planes that flew over the hotel, but they were few and did not disturb us during the day or night. There was a little noise from the Aston Martins, F3000 and Radical cars on track on certain days, but it was during the day from mid-morning and did not disturb us or any of the people around the pool, in fact some even got up and watched from the pool balcony (including us - but we are huge F1 fans).

The Origins buffet style breakfast (which was an upgrade that we considered to be good value) was amazing with great quality food, some of which could be cooked to order. The other hotel restaurants were all up to a very high standard and we tried all of them - Japanese, Indian, Italian, Thai/Chinese, Arabian. Each restaurant had a set menu on a particular night (with or without alcoholic drinks) which we found to be perfect for us, as some of them included a taster menu showcasing the main menu. Overall the food was not cheap but we didn't mind paying for the amazing quality & service.

The staff are lovely - do interact with them! If you don't want to talk they will respect your choice but as soon as you do they talk they really are helpful and attentive. Starting with Elvis (yes folks he really is alive!) who greeted us at the airport for our transfer to the hotel, to Cris & Dominic and their staff in the Skylite lounge, and the pool & Latitude (daytime snack/bar) staff were courteous & professional and we really appreciated and enjoyed their hospitality.

The gym is well equipped & the bottled water and fresh towel on each machine is a great added benefit. We didn't have time to use the spa unfortunately, but we will certainly visit it on our next visit.

We visited Ferrari World & Yas Water World, they were both well organised, really clean and were staffed by friendly people who seemed passionate and knowledgeable about the parks amenities and geography, which made them a real pleasure to visit. There were a couple of downsides to the parks in that 1. the queues got a bit longer later in the day, and 2. some of the rides were closed for maintenance.

We are already planning to come back for the F1 race someday, as we couldn't think of a better place to spend a few days and get up close and personal with an active race circuit. This would also be a great place to stopover for a few days en-route from the UK to Australia/New Zealand or vice-versa.

We'll definitely return (although not as soon as we'd like to!).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
YasViceroy, Hotel Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Dear Jon F,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of Yas Viceroy. It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your team with us and thank you also for writing about all the lovely aspects of our hotel.

I will personally thank all the team members, of course in particular Elvis, Cris and Dominic. Such guest feedback is what motivates the team to excel in their jobs and it is wonderful that you recognized them by name!

We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon and wish you all the best,

Reviewed 5 April 2013

We came here for two nights in December to celebrate my sons 11th birthday. Our arrival certainly had the wow factor as the hotel rose from the landscape like a spaceship and inside was a giant edible gingerbread house and a formula one themed christmas tree. However it all went wrong as soon as we tried to check in. As I handed over my ID I was asked for my passport which I duly handed over...only to be asked for my wife's ID as well as we had two rooms booked. As her documents were with immigration this was not possible. Apparently everybody knows this regulation, one ID per room...er...no...we didn't and it was at no time mentioned in our booking information. Instead of being flexible the receptionist told us that we could only have one room for our family of five...and there was no bending. She seemed unable to help so I asked to see the duty manager. She was also unhelpful and the more angry I got the more amused she seemed. By now my kids were also upset but the Kenyan receptionist though apologetic was unable to help and took us to our solitary room and left us there to trawl our laptop for any old scans of our paperwork.A very stressful and upsetting start to our stay. Whoever or wherever the fault lay (it was actually booking .com) we were treated very badly.
Half an hour later the Kenyan lady returned having taken personal charge of the situation. She seemed genuinely concerned as her hands were tied but...we had the suggestion that maybe we could upgrade to a suite and only require one ID ( they could have suggested this themselves mind you). Her eyes lit up and she rushed off!!15 minutes later we were in a lovely suite, had a refund from booking .com for the other room...although I was still fuming!!!
From this point on the experience was totally lovely. The hotel was amazing and full of high spec wow factor things for the kids to look at although the cars tearing around the track might disturb some people (as a racing fan I was delighted). When we returned to our room we found a chocolate birthday cake for my son and my daughters doll tucked up in a neatly made doll bed! In short the sort of caring service that we should have had from the beginning!! Apart from the bad start we came away with happy memories and may well stay again in future if a trip to yas water world comes up.

Room Tip: Request non trackside rooms if you don't like noise...the opposite if you like racing cars!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
YasViceroy, Hotel Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2013

Dear jezyouell,

Thank you for sharing your comments via TripAdvisor. I am sorry to read of your mixed experience, of course the arrival did not leave a good impression at all. I am glad, however, that your stay went much better after this initial problem.

It is indeed true that every adult guest in every room must present a valid form of government ID in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. We are monitored in this regard by the authorities and must ensure a valid ID is on file. I have also reviewed our confirmation letters in order to ensure that this is clearly reflected.

I do hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back to Yas Viceroy in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

this is a true 5 star Hotel, from the moment you drive in to the valet you are recognized as a VIP, the staff at Valet, check-in, and concierge are going out of their way to help you. The check-in staff (Penny) immediately recognized us as returning guests, this shows the level of training and experience in hospitality which is really so satisfying. very professional and courteous, thank you Ms. Penny.

The Rooms
The Hotel rooms are very large for standard rooms. they are more than 50 sq mtr. they are luxuriously designed with a nice living area, large bed, tv and entertainment centre with remote controlling everything in the room (lights, tv, electronic DND sign, etc) ipod and HDMI connections easily accessible. seperate bath tub, shower, toilet.

The Hotel is located inside the Formula 1 circuit. from the rooms you will view the formula 1 race (Abu Dhabi Grand Prix) which is a Marina Circuit so from the room (if you are lucky) you will have the view of the Formula 1 track + the Marina and the boats!

There are natural bottled water available, tea/coffee making facilities free of charge in the room

We had an American Breakfast in the room with eggs, chicken Sausage, Toast, selection of fruit preserves, some pastries and pancakes, the food was very good and freshly made.

in the same Yas Island area is the Yas Water-world which is a newly opened water park and Ferrari world which is a Ferrari amusement park with the fastest roller-coaster in the world (Ferrari Rosa) and some other rides and attractions!, the whole area is newly built and have been hosting amazing events and concerts for the past few years including Madonna concert, Metallica, Eminem, Andrea Boccelli,

for people looking for a downtown or beach location then this is not for you. this hotel is 10 min away from Abu Dhabi Airport and i guess 20 min away from downtown Abu Dhabi.

the only part i disliked is that the balconies are locked, the glass doors are shut without handles so i couldnt go our for a smoke, but not a big issue as they are currently working on fixing that.

Room Tip: All the standard rooms are the same size exactly, differ in the view only.

Dear AshyAsh,

Thank you very much for your comprehensive review about Yas Viceroy. I am thrilled to hear of your experience, both at our hotel as well as on Yas Island. You have certainly covered most of the facilities in your review - thank you again for so much detail.

I am terribly sorry that you faced the problem with our balcony doors and I would like to share with you that we will be replacing all of the balcony doors by November this year.

I look forward to welcoming you back in very soon again.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

PLEASE DO NOT CHOOSE TO STAY HERE IF TRAVELLING WITH CHILDREN. Can I give a zero rating?

Despite confirmed reservation, we had to wait till 9 pm for a check in, almost 6 hours after check in time of 3 pm.

The tv does not work, but was fixed after complaint.

The bathroom has a translucent glass door which does not close, the management insists that this cannot be fixed and is an engineering fault which cannot be rectified. Therefore anyone travelling with children should be prepared to have an open bathroom door or not stay here!!

Room Tip: Avoid if travelling with children
Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank TravelstarS_13

Dear TravelstarS_13,

Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor. As I mentioned to you in our earlier email conversation, I would like to apologize for the long delay upon check-in. I am reviewing this with the team in order to ensure that we avoid such in future.

I am aware of your note about the hotel's bathroom doors and the point you mentioned unfortunately is indeed inherent with the design of the hotel's bathrooms and hence I am unable to rectify such. I am sorry that this caused frustration during your stay with us.

In the mean time, please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email at oliver.bruns@viceroyhotelsandresorts.com.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stayed here in November for 2 nights as part of a stopover on my way home.

The hotel is quite modern, but without being too modern. My room had a great view of the racetrack and across to the marina - at the time I stayed there, the sliding door our to my balcony was permanently locked as they had complaints from other guests that the sliding doors were too heavy and they were concerned it would injure a guest - so they were installing all new sliding doors.

The room was spacious and I loved the bathroom!! It was great to relax in the bath and be able to watch tv from the bath and unwind before heading back home the following day.

We had breakfast at the hotel at Origins Restaurant. I have to say that there choices for breakfast was incredible and looked quite appealing.

The other restaurants looked just as great and they had quite a few different cuisines available - Indian Restaurant, Seafood restaurant, Japanese restaurant, Mediterranean/Arabian restaurant, Noodle Box.

There also is Skylite lounge which is located at the top of the hotel - rooftop. Great atmosphere just to chill out an watch the lights of the hotel change and to listen to the resident dj.

Location is very close to Ferrari World and Yas Waterworld and only about 30 minutes from downtown Abu Dhabi.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
YasViceroy, Hotel Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

Dear barina80,

Thank you for your lovely review on Yas Viceroy. I am glad you enjoyed the atmosphere and service around the hotel, as well as the beautiful design. You captured some nice memories with your camera - thank you for posting those as well.

I am sorry that you were not able to utilize our balcony door and it is true that we are replacing all of those this year. We expect this to be completed by November with a much simpler mechanism for easy use.

I look forward to welcome you back soon to Yas Viceroy.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Booked 2 nights in march 2013 with an Etihad stopover package.
We had a wonderful stay, staff is very professional and friendly, hotel and room design are amazing and luxurious, breakfast was the best ever.
This hotel is located on Yas peninsula, about 10 minutes either way between Abu Dhabi city and Abu Dhabi airport. Rent a car and take advantage of their free valet service and parking facilities, it's easy driving in and around Abu Dhabi (it was a weekend I must admit).
They have great 5 star restaurants and trendy bars, totally over the top.
I would recommend to anyone! Thank you Yas!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
YasViceroy, Hotel Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Dear Wimhugo,

Thank you for sharing your kind review of Yas Viceroy. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stop-over with us and I do hope that you will pass through Abu Dhabi very soon again.