“Definitely not a 5 star Hotel, needs new management and a good scrub” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi

Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi
Ranked #3 of 130 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
australia
“Definitely not a 5 star Hotel, needs new management and a good scrub”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

Booked on their website special advance payment booking which one would have expected my credit card to be charged
immediately which I have found to be the case when using this system for other Hotels. Was shocked at check out
to find this was not the case. Totally contradicts the sole reason why travellers use advance booking payments so they
have their hotels paid in advance of their trip, Next time I will check my credit card statement before leaving home.
The room had not been cleaned with any elbow grease, marks on the wall and floor could have been removed with some
effort. In the Buffet Restaurant the green chairs were filthy. The top cover on the bed did not quite fit.
Windows in my room needed a clean. Tourists not staying in the Hotel wonder around by the bus load. Absolutely no service in
the coffee loungs/bar opposite reception.
The only Restaurant open whilst we were staying did not open until 7pm far too late for guests with children.
Nancy and Beno the two Kenyan staff we encountered were excellent the hotels only saving grace as far as we
were concerned and the free bus to Ferrari World.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank katrinawehipeihana
YasViceroy, Hotel Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear katrinawehipeihana,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi.

I am of course concerned with your comments and the experience you had at our hotel. I will investigate the subject of the advance payment option as it is indeed intended to be charged at the time of booking.

I will indeed share your comments with our teams in the different areas so that we can improve our service, in particular regarding the cleanliness and service at our Yas Lounge. On the other hand, I will congratulate Nancy and Beno - thank you for recognizing them by name.

I do hope that you will visit the hotel again and please do contact me personally for any future visits so that I can ensure a much better experience.

Oliver Bruns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

I stayed in the Marina Suite as I had a good deal with the Entertainer Voucher where I got one night free, otherwise would not have paid the money it should have cost. The rooms were nice but strangely set out. A lot of wasted space. For a suite, I thought the amenities could have been way better. Coffee making facility and a fridge is standard - more is expected of a suite.

However the bedroom and bathroom were very high standard. I stayed with 2 kids who slept on the sofa's, however it was a mission to get the staff to understand that I wanted them to provide extra bedding. A simple request I thought but seemed misunderstood. I just wanted extra sheets and a duvet. Eventually this was brought to my room, but took a lot of explaining and speaking to various people.

The room service was very good and quick. Ice was available on demand, although I would have preferred to be able to go to an ice machine in my corridor. That's just my preference!

It was a shame that the kids could not use the pool in the wing we stayed in as this was for adults only - so it was a bit confusing to have to change buildings to go to the family pool. It would have been better if we were actually accommodated in that building.

The Indian restaurant was excellent and the staff there were very good. They knew what they were talking about and very helpful. The noodle restaurant - not so much.

Although very high tech, the lighting, a/c system was too complicated. In the middle of the night I just wanted to turn a side lamp on - this is not possible. You have to locate the central electronic wall display to turn lights on and then all lights come on at once!!!! I had curtains opening and closing in the middle of the night when I just wanted a side light while my kids were sleeping.

Room Tip: If you want to be near family pool ask to stay in that part of hotel - there are 2 buildings.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
YasViceroy, Hotel Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear Evelyn S,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

I noted your comments about the confusing regarding the bedding request for your suite and I will share this with the team as I fully agree that this should be a simple item to address. Of course, I am glad to read that you enjoyed the Angar restaurant and I will congratulate our team there on their achievement - at the same time, I will also review with the colleagues in Noodle Box to see how we can improve this.

I hope that we can welcome you back to Yas Viceroy on the near future.

Dubai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

This is a very nice hotel, unique design, and grand. The hotel rooms are spacious and have everything you expect from a relatively new five star hotel. There are many restaurants in the hotel that cater to different tastes and dishes.The only issue i had during my stay which affected my four star grading is the pool area! The pool area is small, crowded, and does not suit a hotel that claims to be five star. No matter what the response of the hotel is, this is a serious design issue. They have two pools of which one is an adult pool, both are small in size. We were there on a Friday which is a holiday in Abudhabi, the only functioning pool was the families pool, the adult pool was closed for a function! Anyone who has been around or has worked in the hotel industry knows that closing the adult pool, on a holiday, for the whole day because of a function is not acceptable in anyway to the people staying at the hotel no matter what the reason is.

I do agree with other reviewers that commented on the lights in the rooms, they are a bit confusing. Bottom line, if you are in Abudhabi for the F1, yes stay in this hotel it is right smack in the middle of the track, otherwise shop around more, you'll find better hotels close by with bigger pools where you can actually enjoy your time.

PS: The service staff are great, they will help you with everything you need during your stay, it's a word of truth that needs to be mentioned.

Room Tip: Rooms in the marina building will require a bit of a walk but nothing major really.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear wildmandxb,

Thank you for sharing your impressions about Yas Viceroy. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the service from our colleagues and I will certainly share this with everyone.

I do appreciate your note about the closure of one of our pools on a weekend and we will not permit any more private functions on Fridays in future.

I hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

The hotel is located amazingly in the center of the F1 track in Abu Dhabi Yas Island. The hotel has a panoramic view of the race track especially at the pool area of the roof deck and at the bridge linking it to Marina. The swimming pool though is not so big. It has nice restaurants ( japanese, international, arabic , southeast asia cuisines) but are quite expensive. It is not an ideal family hotel as me and my family realized since they do not have recreation areas for the family probably due to the fact that you have the Ferrari World & Yas Island Waterworld for family enteratinment.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
YasViceroy, Hotel Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Dear Marvin M,

Thank you for sharing your brief impression about Yas Viceroy on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay overall, however noted your comment about the family experience in general. I am reviewing this with the team and we will explore some added activities specifically for families - of course, in addition to Yas Beach, Ferrari World and Yas Waterworld.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

DONT BE FOOLED BY THE LOVELY PICTURE
It takes forever to get to your room
Room is ok'ish - furnishings not great
Light system in room - doesnt make sense as you turn on the toilet lights and the whole room lights come on???
7am in the morning you a woken up by F1 style cars zooming past your window (VERY LOAD) & its even more louder when you balcony door dooesnt close properly
So if you do stay there make sure you DO NOT open your balcony door as all rooms apparently have this fault.

F1 Paradise if thats your thing but overall was not happy and if anything woke up more stressed than the night before.
There is the Plaza strip like 2 minutes drive from this hotel where you will find the likes of - Crown Plaza, Centro and many more which are cheaper and I would say nicer than this hotel.

Rant over - ENJOY!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank alazer
YasViceroy, Hotel Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 19 May 2013
Dear alazer,

Thank you for sharing your brief review.

Of course, I am very sorry to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and would like to apologize for the experience. I can share with you that we will indeed be replacing all of the hotel's balcony doors this year and this will alleviate the problems with accessing our beautiful balconies.

I will also note that we should allocate you in a room in the first building in order to minimize the distance. It is true that the hotel's striking design with the stretch above the Grand Prix track can make the distance to some of the rooms quite considerable - yet it is also part of the amazingly provocative design of this property. I do apologize that you were disturbed by the racing of the cars in the morning and will also share this feedback with our neighbours from the race track so that we could review the racing schedule.

I do hope that you will still consider us again, so that we can make this up to you and please feel free to contact me directly so that I can assist in this regard.

Best regards,

India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

My friends have stayed here and I have visited their rooms and I felt the theme overtook the room, the race theme i mean, which i probably the aim anyway.
I checked out the night club RUSH, and it was mediocre and be prepared to pay a cover charge even if you are a couple which is pathetic as the club was hardly full and happening..opps.
So am not going back there anyway...overall if you want a change..check it out.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
YasViceroy, Hotel Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dear timmyjt,

Thank you for sharing your snapshot of Yas Viceroy. The design of this amazing building is certainly controversial and I am sure it will never be copied.

I hope that you will visit us again and actually stay overnight to experience Yas Viceroy in full next time.

Tilburg, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

i stayed at viceroy hotel i got bored the balcony doors were broken i couldnt even smoke i had to goo outside each time and the hotel was freeezingggggg at the lobby i toke my coat with me while walking out.. the food was nice was nice everybody kind hotel it self is clean

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
YasViceroy, Hotel Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear shayma s,

Thank you for sharing your quick review on TripAdvisor.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you faced due to the malfunction of your balcony door. We will indeed be replacing all of the hotel's doors this year in order to overcome this problem. I am also sharing your comments on the temperature inside our lobby with our technical team so that we can arrange for a better balance in terms of air-conditioning.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon.